Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amieserovski

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I will be applying for a basic license to own a python soon and I am looking around at different breeds, the set up etc.
I've narrowed down my choices to three breeds and was just thinking about what others thought of these snakes as first pythons.
A spotted python, a stimson's or a coastal carpet python.
I would like a snake that is stereotypically not "piggy" as I've heard some have a very strong feeding instinct and will pretty much bite anything. In saying that I'm hoping not to buy a snake that is stereotypically a "fussy eater" either. (I know i'm being very picky) Also don't want a snake that grows to a HUGE size, (I was surprised at how big scrub pythons grow!!)

Please give me your opinions on these snakes, reccommend me some other breeds if you like, and show me some pictures :)
I also would like to know what size tank I would need to buy. I'll be buying a juvenile snake so don't know if I should buy a large enough tank immediately or first have the snake in a "click clack" (is that what they're called?) Can you put a heat light in a click clack?

I'm Bias, I Love the Coastal Carpet Python.
Mine was my 1st. She and others I have seen are so placid and easy to feed.
And Welcome to APS

get a stimmie they stay only small and are very placid. they are perfect.
coastal will get huge

It's hard to beat womas IMO. They look good, handle well and feed easy. Also don't get too big.

Stimmies can go off their food coming up to winter regardless of how you keep the heat to them they just know its winter.
Spotteds are reputed to sometimes be a bit bitey but as i dont have one can't say for sure and coastals can grow quite large but are geneally considered placid. These are all general obsevations and all snakes are individuals so you just need to go with what you like the look off and can afford to feed and house. Stimmies and spotteds can live happily in a 4x2x2 all their lives where as a coastal will need something quite a bit larger. Also the bigger the animal the bigger and costlier the prey item. Another couple to consider would be the inland carpets like the Gammon Ranges carpet or the Murray Darling. Hope this helps a little bit but you are doing the right thing by researching first before making a purchase. Not sure of your location but in SA there are a few good reptile stores that can help guide you and show you various animals. Any how you must post pics when you get something!

Last edited:
Look when it come down to it if you like something do your homework and things workout (most of the time).
Carpets are awesome. Majority are good feeder, handlers and grow to about 2-2.5 meters with sub-speices growing bigger. Eg. Coastals can grown over 3 and if not close to 4.
Antaresia I dont really know much about. Stimsons are cool. Spotteds are the biggest about 1.5 meters.
I would say buy from a good breeder listen to what they have to say. They will have them feeding and shedding history. and some even give you the click clack the snake is in.

My first snake was a Jungle and then I got a Darwin. Both mine are awesome now put the effort in and now both handle fine. The Darwin has the occasional nip, but generally my fault moved my hand or something to quick.

Hope some of that helps...possibly rambled but its 10 o'clock and I'm tired.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Out of your narrowed down list I'd go the stimson. Most attractive and stays small so doesn't cost a fortune to house. All three species listed would be equal when it comes down to it in terms of handling, feeding, biting etc. All depends on the specific animals, some are natural bad eaters, bad handlers and like to bite.

Thanks everyone for the advice. After looking at some pictures of some fully grown coastal carpet pythons I think I'll definitely go for a stimson. I don't think I'd be able to comfortably house such a big snake in my room!

So should I start with a click clack then move the snake to a glass enclosure once it reaches a larger size?

Yes that's your best bet. Mainly because it ensures the snake cannot escape as this is very common when using the glass enclosures. If you want to buy an enclosure straight off the bat I'd buy a wooden one (less points of escape - well one really which is the gap between sliding doors which can easily be sealed).

The Stimson or the Spotted make excellent first time snakes - relatively hardy, do not grow large, and are usually well natured (some can be a bit snappy as hatchies but they soon grow out of it with proper handling, and their mouths are so small it is not a worry).

We started out with a Spotty from a good breeder on this site. She was snappy when we first visited and selected her at the breeder, but by the time she came home a couple of weeks later she was fine and has never looked like biting us since - she has the most placid nature you could wish to come across.

I use a 7 litre 'Sistema' tub that you can buy from the supermarket from around $10. Put some holes in the lid, use a heat mat and thermostat, with the mat only covering 1/3 of the floor area (heat mat goes under tub, not in it). We now have 3 snakes in these tubs (separate) now - very practical, easy to clean, and affordable. Gives you time to fully plan and work out what you want as an adult enclosure, and provides a safe and secure environment for your little one in the meantime.

I am sure there is a thread on making a Click Clack if you have a scout around.

you can not go past a woma! rarely bite! not to big and funny to watch! (give them sand and the funny things happen)

p.s was my first snake and not dissapointed but you want something cheap and not to massive like a coastal go a darwin carpet but be prepared to have some fun lol theres a reason mine a are named bitchface and ********......

you can not go past a woma! rarely bite! not to big and funny to watch! (give them sand and the funny things happen)
I would consider getting a woma but I'm pretty sure you need an advanced license to have one. Not sure why though. Could anyone shed some light on this?

dunno? NT is you can hold any snake you want on a normal permit all free..... but not venomous

In my opinion, you cant beat a MD as a first snake.
Dont let size scare you. Get a hatchie and your confidence grows with the snake :)

Bredli? I was really happy with mine as a first snake :)
A Bredli is now what I'm leaning toward :) Really beautiful by the looks of things and I've heard good things about them. It'll be a fair few weeks before I get my license so I'll go to the library or book shop and do my reading on caring for a snake as well as researching over the internet to get some good perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back