Energy Efficient Python Enclosure Ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenno

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's that dreaded time again (we just received our electricity bill) :shock:.

Could anyone offer any energy efficient advice on heating a fairly large python enclosure? It's approx 4ft(L)x 3ft(W)x5ft(H).

I have always been hesitant about heat mats. Are they safe?

Thanks heaps

I reckon Heat cords are a lot better than heat mats you can use them on the floor of the enclosures for ground heat and you can also make heat panels out of them to and attach them to the roof of the enclosure :)

Caleb.

the cost of keeping a snake shouldn't be much unless you are using lights which is not a necessity. personally i use mats and cords.

-coldbloodedhearts

Quality heat mats by the likes of Habistat are very safe, as with anything electrical its not worth taking chances to save a few pounds so go with the main players. I use a lot of Reptile radiators on pulse stat's and they work out very economical indeed and are incredibly long lasting unlike ceramics. I would imagine your climate is quite a lot better than here in the UK.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

energy efficiencyhe only

Hi All,

Could anyone offer any energy efficient advice on heating a fairly large python enclosure? It's approx 4ft(L)x 3ft(W)x5ft(H).

Thanks heaps

What I have used and found works very well is I route heat rope into the walls of my enclosure, then silicone mesh slate tile over it to hold the heat. I use slate on all of my heating devices and found that my rhetosthats are on a fraction of the time now. The slate effectively provides a heating device for the reptiles long after the power goes off. Just keep in mind that you need to compensate for the fact that your slate will continue increasing in heat after the power goes off for a while. For instance, if I want a temp of 87 degrees F, I need to set it to shut off at 84 degrees F. Hope this helps

i use proherp heat panels for my bigger snakes/enclosures, i love those things!!

Hi All,

Thanks heaps

How are you currently heating it?

I am using the exoterra heat bulbs (75w) and also have a 100w but we aren't using it as the weather is quite warm. I just heat one side of the enclosure and using one bulb. I also have and use on the same side a 50w fan forced light but to be honest I'm not really a "fan" ;) of it. The enclosure may not be the issue at all to why our energy usage is high but I thought I would post to see what other members do. We have an electrician coming round to do an audit anyway so we can pin point what could be chewing the electricity. I am gong to go the heat cord and/or mat option and ditch these lights.

I also have a discus tank, that could be it also. But I wanted to suss out the enclosure heating first.

Thanks heaps everyone!

you live in Brisbane all pythons can be kept outside happily I have kept and bred most species outside with no problems even a mate keeps and breeds gtp in brisbane. no electricity needed.....

If u r that concerned and energy conscious like most of us would be.....maybe there is a solar type solution that can be specifically orientated to the reptiles only.

Just a thought.

Funny this topic should come up just as I'm building my new energy efficient designed enclosure.

Obviously it's not finished yet, but this is my new enclosure idea. Dimensions for each side are, 750mm L x 600mm D x 500mm H. Total length of 1500mm.
1CECB289-202D-4116-AFC6-D50653F72C92-4222-000006A9D765B1D1_zps2f5457fd.jpg

304E995F-D7B7-4EF5-9109-54002539DABC-4222-000006A9E0E52509_zps90e213a8.jpg

That shelf has heat cord routed into the underside, then pegboard screwed on to cover it. This alows the snake to choose if it wants belly heat (by sitting on the shelf), or radiating heat (by sitting on the stick under the shelf).
It's only powered by 25w heat cord and reaches pretty good temps. Without a thermostat, it reaches 45.5c on top and 32.6c underneath, I will be using a thermostat and placing the prob on top of the shelf.

Because the heating element is in the middle of the enclosure (not on the floor or roof), the heat doesn't effect other enclosures placed on top or under this enclosure. Meaning more consistent and controlled heat.

Here's the underside of the shelf, without the pegboard attached.
E455E133-859A-49DA-832B-5263185478CD-4222-000006A9E7FCBF35_zpsd73cb18e.jpg

Don't take this as advice . Just some thing I do to keep costs down . First the heat is on a timer , comes on at 9am , goes off at 9pm . The cages slowly cool down to around 20 in the morning then the lights go back on . I don't know of anywhere where the temp stays at 34 all nite [ and I wouldn't want to live there ] On very hot days I switch the heat off completely unless they have eaten in the last 5 days . They are in the lounge room , why have the cage heat on and the aircon at the same time , turning them both off saves lots .

i use a heat emitter run through a thermostat however there are days here and nights where i dont use any heat! winter is different however most the yr its not needed 24 7.

Funny this topic should come up just as I'm building my new energy efficient designed enclosure.

Obviously it's not finished yet, but this is my new enclosure idea. Dimensions for each side are, 750mm L x 600mm D x 500mm H. Total length of 1500mm.
1CECB289-202D-4116-AFC6-D50653F72C92-4222-000006A9D765B1D1_zps2f5457fd.jpg

304E995F-D7B7-4EF5-9109-54002539DABC-4222-000006A9E0E52509_zps90e213a8.jpg

That shelf has heat cord routed into the underside, then pegboard screwed on to cover it. This alows the snake to choose if it wants belly heat (by sitting on the shelf), or radiating heat (by sitting on the stick under the shelf).
It's only powered by 25w heat cord and reaches pretty good temps. Without a thermostat, it reaches 45.5c on top and 32.6c underneath, I will be using a thermostat and placing the prob on top of the shelf.

Because the heating element is in the middle of the enclosure (not on the floor or roof), the heat doesn't effect other enclosures placed on top or under this enclosure. Meaning more consistent and controlled heat.

Here's the underside of the shelf, without the pegboard attached.
E455E133-859A-49DA-832B-5263185478CD-4222-000006A9E7FCBF35_zpsd73cb18e.jpg
thats awesome

I've seen a fairly well known Perth keeper who puts a 13w heat mat in a 100mm PVC pipe. Wraps some fake grass around the pipe for the snake to grip and it stays at a toasty 32-35 degrees easy enough. It doesnt get much more efficient than 13W a cage.

Yeah, we need to be thrifty atm being on a single income. I actually wondered whether there is some sort of solar device out there and then I thought, I should just put her outside, take advantage of our QLD sun as it has been nice for the past couple of weeks. btsmorphs do you allow your herps to hibernate through the winter months outside? Is there any winter regime you do?

Thank you Jungletrans I will def be purchasing an automatic timer. I think combining bits and pieces of everyone's advice will have my python happy and me too.

Thanks heaps :)

Running a single 35w light bulb costs around $50 per year.
I would be surprised if a single snake enclosure controlled by a thermostat was the cause of your problem.

I am currently running 12 enclosures and hardly notice them on the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back