Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ tiliqua, because he never gets reciepts off them and went back the next day they refused to refund. and i had no other heat source. also i did not expect it to fail in less than 2 months. and was only using it till i got a heat light.

i knew they were bad at the time but i serously expected it to last at least 3 months, my partner did not know anything about them and so wen they insisted he buy it as it was hte best source of heat for a blue tongue he did.

anyway this is not about me as a keeper, this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles. and because of this new legislation it will only get worse.

anyway this is not about me as a keeper, this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles. and because of this new legislation it will only get worse./QUOTE]
Of course it's about you as a keeper! You just admitted you knew it was bad, your partner has no knowledge of how to care for them yet bought one (so does that count as an impulse buy?) and under your supervision he used it anyways! A pet shop can't force you to learn, that responsibility is upon the keeper. You don't buy a car, crash it cos you never had a driving lesson, then blame the car yard for selling you a car. Pick up a book and learn before you buy an animal, and stop blaming a retail outlet for your ignorance.

this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles/QUOTE]
You've been keeping reptile for under 3 years and keeping 2 maybe 3 genus? So by set criteria, the retail licensee has more experience than you to be giving out advice anyday, pull your head in.

You've been keeping reptile for under 3 years and keeping 2 maybe 3 genus? So by set criteria, the retail licensee has more experience than you to be giving out advice anyday, pull your head in.

I thought saintanger has been keeping for 22 years? and her partner a similar amount of time

anyway this is not about me as a keeper, this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles. and because of this new legislation it will only get worse./QUOTE]
Of course it's about you as a keeper! You just admitted you knew it was bad, your partner has no knowledge of how to care for them yet bought one (so does that count as an impulse buy?) and under your supervision he used it anyways! A pet shop can't force you to learn, that responsibility is upon the keeper. You don't buy a car, crash it cos you never had a driving lesson, then blame the car yard for selling you a car. Pick up a book and learn before you buy an animal, and stop blaming a retail outlet for your ignorance.

this is about pet shops and their lack of knowledge of reptiles and their bad advise that harms our reptiles/QUOTE]

i have been keeping since i was 4 i am 26 now. my partner has been keeping for a very long time but he can't read so he does not know as much. and he just believes everyone. he has been keeping pythons, dragons, geckos, turtles and lacies before even licences existed.

i had heard it was bad but i had never used one and thought it would not fail in less than 2 months.

were did you hear i have been keeping for under 3 years, in your dreams? 2 or 3 genus lol. i keep jungles, diamonds, bredli, woma, water pythons, black heads, darwins, spotted, childrens, coastals, MD, water dragons, eastern beardies, central beardies, pygmy berdies, blue tongues, amyae, levis levis, milli, wheeleri, leaf tails, ridge tail monitors, netted dragon, binoei, angle headed dragons, eastern long necks, murray, saw shell's and krefts and i probably missed a few.

i have many books and read a lot, so i don't need to read. also if a car yard sells you a dodgy car and your driving and the brakes fail and they knew the brakes were bad and were gonna fail, they are liable.

you know nothing about me so pull your head out

Last edited:
my local pet shop talked my partner out of buying a heat light and getting a heat rock which in less than 2 months failed and burnt my blue tongue and nearly set the enclosure on fire. as if i would ask them advise or call them reputable.

I seem to recall you once stating you lived in my area. That would make your local my local. Is this the one that is essentially 2 shops split down the middle by an arcade ?

i keep jungles, diamonds, bredli, woma, water pythons, black heads, darwins, spotted, childrens, coastals, MD, water dragons, eastern beardies, central beardies, pygmy berdies, blue tongues, amyae, levis levis, milli, wheeleri, leaf tails, ridge tail monitors, netted dragon, binoei, angle headed dragons, eastern long necks, murray, saw shell's and krefts and i probably missed a few.

It sounds like you have a mini zoo. No concerns about being able to meet the new COP requirements ?

yep that one.

yes i have a mini zoo and have a few animals on hold off a breeder so i will be getting more. no concern at all i have large enclosures every reptiles has a heat sourc with own thermostat and humidity is regularly checked, all reptiles have at least 1-3 hides in their enclosures, all climbing species have tall branches. turtles have a pond and also a 6ft for the younger ones. an in the process of building 2 outdoor enclosures for water dragons and eastern beardies.

i don't keep any reptiles in tubs, i prefer my multibays smallest multibay is 4ft and have a few larger 6ft and some custome built tanks too that are bigger than 6 ft.

yep that one.

In that case I am quite surprised by your negative comments. It's been a long time since I've needed to ask for basic husbandry advice, but from what I've seen (staff dealing with other people) on the odd occasion I have been in there, I wouldn't exactly class them in the "know-nothing" category.

Are they suited to selling herps ? Well time will tell, but they certainly aren't a shop I would condemn before giving them a chance to prove themselves.

It would be in the best interest of the shops (and animals) to give the right/correct advice. I am sure they do not want ALL the problems coming back at them. Keeping in mind that whatever advice you do give some know-it-alls, they won't take it and will blame the shop or breeder.

In that case I am quite surprised by your negative comments. It's been a long time since I've needed to ask for basic husbandry advice, but from what I've seen (staff dealing with other people) on the odd occasion I have been in there, I wouldn't exactly class them in the "know-nothing" category.

Are they suited to selling herps ? Well time will tell, but they certainly aren't a shop I would condemn before giving them a chance to prove themselves.

there are 2 blokes their that are ok and i often buy insects off them and they seem to know a bit. but its a few of the younger ones that think they know it all.

wen my partner went in he explained he needed a heat source for a blue tongue and that his misses asked him to get a heat light, the young bloke said no heat rocks ar better and last longer as you don't need to change the globe. and i allways buy the accessories so he did not know and bought it.

Last edited:
Ohh ok kool I will stilk be going to breeders stuff paying 3x the price I saw a normal stimmie at pet shop nothing special and dull $495 hahahhaa
& they will include a kit plastic box HEAT ROCK repti clean hand sanitizer and sand and hide with bedding oh and a telescopic hook for an extra 50$ I laughed my head off when I saw this
from Cathy :)

[QUOTEwere did you hear i have been keeping for under 3 years, in your dreams? ][/QUOTE]
Yes, yes it was in my dreams.

I must have been silly to assume that you had such little experience, given you and your partner have 22 years experience etc I apologise for this assumption, Amanda.
However, why then if you both have so much experience would you buy the heat rock advised by a 16 year old (that by your account wasn't very knowledgable), that was not the ideal choice for your situation. 22 years experience would tell you that's not a good idea. 2 years experience would also tell you this.

i did not buy it as i said hubby does not read and so i buy all the stuff, and he is gulible and since it was being sold at a pet shop and was recomended he thought it was good. i know they have problems but i have never used one and thought it would be ok for at least 3months but i was wrong.

i was told online and other people they usually fail after 6 months so i went by that and thought i'd use it for 3 months since he had no reciepe and then get a heat light.

it was not a smart decision to use it, but petshops are well aware of the problems with them and still sell them and recomend them.

So why did you buy the heat rock then? Why use it if you know better?

I don't see what the outrage is over? Are you gonna tell me Kellyville, Extreme and The Reptile Shop are from now on gonna dish out bad advice? They all seem to be building a good reputation on great advice based on their knowledge of keeping, I don't see why this would change cos now they can sell something to put in the tanks they've been selling us for years. The conditions set will already weed out those shop owners without 3 years experience (more than many members of this forum that have been vocal on this subject). The need of reptiles in captivity are unique, but certainly not rocket science. I'm sure after 3 years we've all figured out the basics of how to keep our animals alive.
There are shops that sell reptiles in store in other states that do it well, and others that don't, just like theres good mechanics and bad, good restaurants and bad, etc,etc.
I love reading the vigilante brigades of APS users, going to expose the shops when they see a sick or 'abused' reptile in stores. What makes someone with a 2,000 forum post count higher and mightier than someone that has to comply with all these conditions, and is going to be routinely checked by the governing authorities? These shop owners are under stricter conditions than us private keepers! One last thing, why assume the pet shop assistant is going to have less knowledge and experience than you? They might be a herp author, have 17 years keeping and breeding experience, a former herp club president or a certified zoo-keeper. They might even be all of the above?
The sky is not falling.

That's how it is here in Suburban Melb... don't know what it's like in the country shops though. One shop even has the VHS pres in it.

Didn't always start off like that though....

Just putting it out there: Arent NSW pet shops slowly weening away from selling dogs and cats etc. As a result of things such as puppy farms and such? Wont this potentially encourage the same outcome except with reptiles? (purely reffering to the puppy farms and such that force their animals to live in disgusting conditions etc., not reputable breeders)

Yes they are, I asked my pet shop where all the cute little puppies and kittens were and this is what they told me, they were phasing this out to make way for breeders they only sell fish and birds there now.

As long as they hire people who know what they're doing it could work, however you can read all you like but nothing beats hands on experience. Hence why shop keepers see nothing wrong with recommending heat rocks. Why would they, they were designed to be used as a heat source for reptiles, so unless you have gained some first-hand experience why would you know better?

It has the potential to work but unfortunately also has the potential to go very wrong, if a newbie walks in without having done any previous research and meets a shop assistance who thinks all the information he has is correct but has no real experience and is simply taken at face value then things could get ugly. We could end up with badly injured reptiles, newbies with ill-suited reptiles which would most likely prompt alot of "free to good home, don't have the time, didn't realise they bite, didn't realise they live for 20+yrs etc" ads popping up everywhere.

Really who knows? It could be the best thing to ever happen to NSW reptile keepers, it may spark a bigger interest in the hobby but at this point all we can really do is speculate.

But all that aside I agree with the above, more likely than not they will be riciulously overpriced anyway, so if you were smart about it why wouldn't you stick to buying from a reputable breeder?

i have been keeping since i was 4 i am 26 now. my partner has been keeping for a very long time but he can't read so he does not know as much. and he just believes everyone. he has been keeping pythons, dragons, geckos, turtles and lacies before even licences existed.

i had heard it was bad but i had never used one and thought it would not fail in less than 2 months.

were did you hear i have been keeping for under 3 years, in your dreams? 2 or 3 genus lol. i keep jungles, diamonds, bredli, woma, water pythons, black heads, darwins, spotted, childrens, coastals, MD, water dragons, eastern beardies, central beardies, pygmy berdies, blue tongues, amyae, levis levis, milli, wheeleri, leaf tails, ridge tail monitors, netted dragon, binoei, angle headed dragons, eastern long necks, murray, saw shell's and krefts and i probably missed a few.

i have many books and read a lot, so i don't need to read. also if a car yard sells you a dodgy car and your driving and the brakes fail and they knew the brakes were bad and were gonna fail, they are liable.

you know nothing about me so pull your head out

absolutely no disrespect intended here saintanger but I was hoping you could help me understand something you said please? thanks

above you stated your partner (husband) can't read but I saw on Facebook some time ago that your partner is (lebsta) and he has logged on and "liked" all your posts in this thread and also posted on APS at times even though you said he cant read and I also assume cant write either.

My question is if he can't read how can he read, understand and like your posts? Or have you used his account to log on and "like" your own posts?

no my partner is not lebsta on aps he is a friend. i have never said he was my partner? lol
ewww sorry a mate is a mate.

were have you seen written anywere that he is my hubby? he is a mate i have known for years who i helped his kid get into reptiles.

oh and lebsta of face book? my partner does not go by that name on facebook, and lebsta does not have a facebook account unless its another lebsta.

Last edited:
I can recall NSW reptile keepers whinging about no herps in petshops for years and now the laws have changed and still people whinge about it. I guess you can never keep animal keepers happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back