Orlando, Florida herping tips for April

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crocodile_dan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any members here have any advice as to tips for herping and general wildlife locations around the Orlando region of Florida (USA). I am spending a week over there in mid April to visit someone and am looking at doing a few days looking for local wildlife, I have seen a few airboat and safari tours near the Lake Kissimmee State Park and wondered if any people had any other tips or locations in the surrounding area. I'm not really fussy on target species but definitely interested in Alligators, felids, birds of prey, manatee, any reptiles and basically anything else out there.

Thanks for any help, I know we only have a few Americans here but thought I'd still ask.

Cheers,
Daniel

I was over there a couple of years ago. I booked a full day tour that included an air boat ride through the evergaldes. This was done with Gator boys before they were on TV. They were really good. It also included a boat trip through the islands there. Saw some amazing wildlife.

I wish I could help you. If you ever make your way to Cali I can show you around though. A air boat ride would be fun. From what i hear you can walk to canals and see manatee's. Be sure to take lots of pictures, and have a good time.

I'm currently in washington state for 6-12 months, been here for almost 5 months now. I'd like to get down to California while I'm here but that will only happen if my visa extension is approved, I'd be keen to get a local's tour if it happens though. I've been looking at a day trip from Orlando to Crystal River for a snorkel tour with the manatees at the springs there, the package also has a 30min airboat trip and a stop at the Homosassa State Wildlife Park. I have another day left free for some nature walks which unless anyone has any other places I'm looking at the Lake Kissimmee State Park which is close to Disney and has some good general wildlife spotting so I've read.

If I get any pics worth while I'll post them up :)

Hi Dan,

If its gators you're after you should have no problem seeing them in just about every permanent water body you come across - including the drainage channels at Orlando airport, and most residential lakes. Crystal River is great for manatees but be prepared for how cold the water is, and also note by April the manatees are heading out to sea so check they are still there before booking your trip. I personally would not recommend any airboat tour if you are remotely interested in getting up close to any wildlife as they are generally a whirlwind ride that scares off most animals. Mid-April should be a great time for birds as many will have young at this time, plus many will be migrating through Florida - and you should have no problem seeing bald eagles and cara cara. The whole area around Kissimmee is a great bet for gopher tortoise, gators, cottonmouth, rattlesnakes, barred owls, burrowing owls, red shouldered hawks and pretty much anything else you care to mention. In fact, I will be there myself mid-April and expect to see all of the above mentioned critters!

Thanks mate that helps heaps. The cold water won't be an issue it will probably feel like a spa coming out of a Spokane winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back