Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain04

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and must say this is an awesome resourse.

So here is the situation, im looking to buy a 2-3 month old Woma (beautiful snake), put down a deposit for her this morning going to pay the rest on collection next week.

The seller has just come back to me saying (after advertising that all hatchlings feeding well) that:

"#2 has been a fussy eater on rats & mice. Has had quite a few assist feeds, but this morning
she smashed a day old quail down with no hesitation. Let me know if your ok with this, or do you want me to hang on to her a bit longer for you until she is eating rats, or are you ok to get quail yourself for her?"

Now I have got alittle experiance with snakes, but nowhere near enough to call myself an expert on the subject. My question is, is this fussy feeding really that big a problem? Should I hold off and if i need to how hard is it to get hold of quails?

I will admit I do like it when you get a difficult animal and manage to 'tame' it. I had a nightmare of childrens python that now is cute as a button, after many a bite and lots of work. I just dont want to take on an animal that might require expertise that I dont have.

I will mention that i have had to assist feed snakes in the past so not completely forign to the procedure.

Any help at all is ofcourse much appriciatted.

Cheers All

Cain

Quails are easy to find, most pet stores that sell frozen food will stock quails or can get it in for you. It's up to you but i would advise waiting a few more weeks until the breeder has got her eating regularly. I'm sure with a few more feeds under her belt she'll start taking rats/mice. 99% of womas are pigs, some just take a bit longer to get going

Don't muck around with quails and that stuff. Get womas on rats then rabbits at earliest opportunity. Plenty of people are selling feeding womas so as an amateur I wouldn't be buying a fussy feeder.

A woma that is a fussy feeder is something of an oxymoron. Frankly I wouldn't even bother. Unless it's taking rats, at that size, I would not bother with it. Womas should be absolute pigs when it comes to food. My womas, all of them, literally headbutted the front of my tubs when I so much as dangled a rat in front of them in the middle of December, especially so if they were eating 2 smaller rats. All womas IMHO should follow this sort of feeding response. Womas are extremely aggressive feeders, so a fussy feeder tends to ring alarm bells in my head.

Caveat emptor. Buyer beware. With any luck you should be fine and be able to get it converted onto rats...but I am not one to buy fussy womas ;)

I've bred many womas. Some have been more difficult to start feeding. All it takesis persistence and experience. I will not sell them until they strike and feed on thawed rodents.

Fussy womas exist? If I was in your position I would let the breeder do the hard work and get it feeding properly. Maybe the little woma thinks it's a BHP. :) I'm sure once it starts eating it will turn food crazy like womas are supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back