Hi, Thinking of getting a Lizard !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXExplodexX

Reaction score
I found interested in getting either a Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongue Skink, Shingle back or an Ackie( Ridge- Tailed Monitor) I'm allowed to keep of Two lizards. Which one would be a good starter ? How big of an enclosure do I need to house it for the rest of their lives. ( I already searched a care sheet on an Bearded Dragon and Blue Tongue Lizard.) (Would you recommend an Ackie for a starter lizard ? How big do they get ?)

Thanks
xxexplodexx

Shinglebacks are pretty wonderful,....
depends on what ur after, do you want something active to watch, or something that doesnt mind handling,...?

What would you recommend. Thinking of getting something that you can handle and something that is very active though out the day.

I would think Beardy or blue tongue, really common, lots of info on them and eat great, handle great. Not sure on the ackie, never had experience with them as I am young but know from helping out at a pet store that they are easy to care for.

Thanks. Was thinking of getting a Blue Tongue and Shingle Back . Thought I might try to start off with a different type of lizard/ Skink. Like an Ackie. ( I was personally thinking of buying a Shingle Back. But not sure how they will put up with the Northern Queensland humidity. )

good point with the humidity,.... i didnt think to check ur location, oops!!

Ackies are cat 4 in WA, IDK about QLD, but that means most beginers cant get them here. They arnt that much harder to keep though.

Beardies are a good choice, dont mind being handled, can get quite friendly even, and can be fun to feed and watch. I always though bluetongues a bit boring, plus we get plenty of them in our yard anyway, but im probably being unfair.

Whatever you chose, good luck, enjoy and please take care of them !

Thanks. I have my eyes set on a Bearded Dragon, Blue Tongue Skink and Shingle Back. I have done research on them. First i'm saving up to buy the proper enclosures for them and proper equipment for them. After I buy that, then I can start getting into the lizard hobby :)

Get a hypo beardie, I have a beardie baby that runs around my backyard (it is wild) and they are just awesome to watch and even when I have caught it, it is still quite chill. Great beginner lizard.

central beardie or blue tongue they tend to be easier to handle and are friendly inquisitive reptiles. i own both and they are great pets.

Thanks. What about an Ridge Tail Monitor ( Ackie) ? I will be buying a Blue Tongue, Bearded dragon, Still thinking either an Shingle Back or Ackie ?

i have 2 ridge tails they are about 6 weeks old and they are very fast and skiddish, not something you can hold and handle as well as a beardie or bluey but they are great to have as pets and watch. but if you want something a bit easier to handle go with the shingle back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back