Candy Cane Brown tree snake out of Australia?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iurac

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Are there observations of Candy Cane BTS outside Australia?
For example, in New Guinea, or in some neighboring islands?

Here is a pic of one of my 2011 babies :D

img1908s.jpg

Beautiful little BTS you have there. I've always wanted a Boiga and hope that one day I will own one :)

Boiga irregularis is an arboreal rear-fanged colubrid snake,possessing two small, grooved fangs at the rear of the mouth.[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_tree_snake#cite_note-Mehrtens-5[/SUP]Due to the placement of the fangs and their grooved rather than hollow architecture, the venom is difficult to convey into a bite on a human, and thus is only delivered in small doses. The venom appears to be weakly neurotoxic and possibly cytotoxic with localized effects that are trivial for adult humans; serious medical consequences have been limited to children, who are more susceptible because of their low body mass.[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_tree_snake#cite_note-Fritts-2[/SUP]The snake is not considered dangerous to an adult human.[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_tree_snake#cite_note-Mehrtens-5[/SUP]The venom seems to be primarily used to subdue lizards, which can be more easily positioned in the rear of the mouth for venom delivery.[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_tree_snake#cite_note-Fritts-2[/SUP]

This specie is not common in captivity, in my country I am the only one who has breed it.
It 's a fascinating and curious animal, its breeding requires care, attention and patience, especially for babies.

Boiga irregularis is an arboreal rear-fanged colubrid snake,possessing two small, grooved fangs at the rear of the mouth.Due to the placement of the fangs and their grooved rather than hollow architecture, the venom is difficult to convey into a bite on a human, and thus is only delivered in small doses. The venom appears to be weakly neurotoxic and possibly cytotoxic with localized effects that are trivial for adult humans; serious medical consequences have been limited to children, who are more susceptible because of their low body mass.The snake is not considered dangerous to an adult human.The venom seems to be primarily used to subdue lizards, which can be more easily positioned in the rear of the mouth for venom delivery.

This specie is not common in captivity, in my country I am the only one who has breed it.
It 's a fascinating and curious animal, its breeding requires care, attention and patience, especially for babies.

In Australia this species, while not being overly common, is becoming more common in captivity. It is probably the most common colubrid in captivity in Aus.

In Australia this species, while not being overly common, is becoming more common in captivity. It is probably the most common colubrid in captivity in Aus.

Yeah...but in Italy instead there are a maximum of 10 BTS :evil:

Back to my question ... there are candy cane out of Australia?

Iurac,

No the "Night Tiger/ Candy Cane Form" is Australia only. Mind you there is a fair amount of evidence to suggest that there are 2 or 3 species presently lumped under irregularis in Australia

Iurac,

No the "Night Tiger/ Candy Cane Form" is Australia only. Mind you there is a fair amount of evidence to suggest that there are 2 or 3 species presently lumped under irregularis in Australia

Boiga irregularis, Boiga Fusca, and Boiga.....?

Hi guys, I suppose i could find out this info from Google but i would prefer to get sensible info from the people here that have experience rather than wade through all the Google B/S, anyway i was reading a magazine at the hospital yesterday about the American military presents in Guam and the problem they are having with "Deadly Tree Snakes" the photo that was with it looked to me to be a "CTS" but the pic was a bit grainy and could have been a "GTS" do any of you guys know anything about this or do i have to put my gumboots on and Google it...................................Ron

Hi guys, I suppose i could find out this info from Google but i would prefer to get sensible info from the people here that have experience rather than wade through all the Google B/S, anyway i was reading a magazine at the hospital yesterday about the American military presents in Guam and the problem they are having with "Deadly Tree Snakes" the photo that was with it looked to me to be a "CTS" but the pic was a bit grainy and could have been a "GTS" do any of you guys know anything about this or do i have to put my gumboots on and Google it...................................Ron

Guam has neither "CTS" nor "GTS" (same thing) it has Boiga irregularis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back