What age is "full-grown"? (Coastal)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox.n.Lix

Reaction score
Yes, I can probably find this info somewhere, I admit I'm just being lazy and looking for a quick answer. My coastal is currently 8 feet and around 6 or 7 years old (was unsure of age when I got him). I know they can get bigger, but as we all know size variation is massive... so I thought age might indicate when a python has done all its growing? I'm starting to get concerned that if he gets much bigger I wont be able to keep him, i would want him in a bigger enclosure and i dont really have the space for it.... Also... ummm, he is a bit scary when he is hungry... only when he is hungry though. But boy does my adrenaline get pumping every time I have to get a rat into him.

Last edited:
Yes, I can probably find this info somewhere, I admit I'm just being lazy and looking for a quick answer. My coastal is currently 8 feet and around 6 or 7 years old (was unsure of age when I got him). I know they can get bigger, but as we all know size variation is massive... so I thought age might indicate when a python has done all its growing? I'm starting to get concerned that if he gets much bigger I wont be able to keep him, i would want him in a bigger enclosure and i dont really have the space for it.... Also... ummm, he is a bit scary when he is hungry... only when he is hungry though. But boy does my adrenaline get pumping every time I have to get a rat into him.

Oh and anyone have tips on what to feed when they start to get >8ft? I'm thinking for ease of availability to just feed 2x smaller (200-250g) rats in one sitting.
someone will help you out better than I but just quickly: an 8 footer would be able to take rabbits. my coastal is around 6ft and I am nearly at the rabbit stage. mine is also a nutjob around feeding time. he WILL kill you or at least demand blood haha

Ha ha ha. Reassuring, thanks. Yes come spring, after brumation, when he is all 'lookin for love' I have been told not to attempt ANYTHING without a second person in the house.....

Yeah, I am waiting for some rabbits, but they just arent as easy to come by as rats. I have a handful of retired breeder rats that are between 450 and 500g.... hopefully not too fatty and just to tide me over until the rabbits come. (plus rabbits are SO much cuter than rats... how will i do it???)

(I do contemplate replying to free kitten/rabbit/guinea pig ads on gumtree.....HA HA HA... seeing as how very large rats and/or rabbits are hard to come by esp at this time of year.... HA HA HA)

Last edited:
First of all anyone who advertises the fact they are going to feed their snake Kittens deserves the visit by the RSPCA they are invariably going to get, not to mention the hook worm and round worm that goes with it, Guinea pigs dont really have much nutritional value and they create a filthy stink in your enclosure. You really are better off with Rabbits that are bred for snake food or human consumption....................................Ron

Ok, after a little cup of Simmer Down. I apologise. A joke between friends does not translate on a written forum among strangers. Particulalrly when not accompanied by winky smiley faces or LOLs.

I appreciate your concern Ron, however, I do not intend to acquire any animals from gumtree to feed to my snake. For several reasons: I would not like to have to kill them myself, I can not be guaranteed of their disease state and lastly I do not have the heart (or lack of) to take a "free to good home" PET for the purpose of killing it and feeding it to my snake.

If its ok with you I would liek to invite anyone with the knowledge of the title of the thread to answer my original question: At what age is a coastal carpet python "fully grown"

Cheers.

Last edited:
They never stop growing, just slow down once adults.. Dusa is around the same size as Lix and only 5yo. And sheds around every 3 months (I don't document the shedding anymore)
Finding when rabbits isn't easy, my suppliers can't get them and all the 'human consumption' ones are gutted and skinned.
Like you I will keep trying to find them but in the meantime he stays on rats :)

i got it also.
just like i got that pitbull puppy off gumtree for my coastal. I cant see a better use for it.
too far? lol

You know what? if it wasnt for the disease factor, my council just put out a report that 350+ cats are euthanased every year in my area. I would have no issue with getting freshly euthanased cats from a shelter. ... EXCEPT for the disease factor. Such a shame. Cat overpopulation is such a problem.

They never stop growing, just slow down once adults.. Dusa is around the same size as Lix and only 5yo. And sheds around every 3 months (I don't document the shedding anymore)
Finding when rabbits isn't easy, my suppliers can't get them and all the 'human consumption' ones are gutted and skinned.
Like you I will keep trying to find them but in the meantime he stays on rats :)

Eventually I think I will have to breed my own rabbits. Maybe when i have kids, then the kids can be responsible for their pet rabbits, and learn all about the cylcle of life when Lix gets to eat the babies! I'm gonna be an excellent mum ;)

I also apologise Rox.n.Lix i did not know you were joking, and now after seeing you are a young lady i also realize you could not do what you said about the Kittens (getting old and crotchety sux) DOA (when they start delivering again) deliver to melbourne and the price for rabbits is pretty good, our Coastal seems like it will never stop growing, just hope her personality grows with her, she is 2m now and still handles well, so well in fact i trust her to be handled by Bart70's kids (with some supervision by their father of course) our girls mother is just over 10ft and 15 years old but she is not scary at all............................................Ron

First of all anyone who advertises the fact they are going to feed their snake Kittens deserves the visit by the RSPCA they are invariably going to get, not to mention the hook worm and round worm that goes with it, Guinea pigs dont really have much nutritional value and they create a filthy stink in your enclosure. You really are better off with Rabbits that are bred for snake food or human consumption....................................Ron

Please explain why kittens deserve to be food any less than other animals, if they were humanely killed ofcourse.

Lets not turn this into a "what should be food" arguement.

Stick to the original topic or posts will be moderated

My coastal girl is 10ft long, 7yr old and eats either 3 x 500g+ rats or a 1.8kg Rabbit every month or so. Her boyfriend is the same age, about 8ft and only eats 1kg Rabbits or 1 x 500g+ at a feeding. I do feed him a little more often than I feed her though.

My coastal girl is 10ft long, 7yr old and eats either 3 x 500g+ rats or a 1.8kg Rabbit every month or so. Her boyfriend is the same age, about 8ft and only eats 1kg Rabbits or 1 x 500g+ at a feeding. I do feed him a little more often than I feed her though.

Hmmm... food for thought so to speak.

He is just going to keep growing isnt he... I would rather feed him large meals less often, but i hadnt considered going that big. The 500g rats give him a nice bulge. He is long, but he's lean. I dont want to get him too fat....

y3ahe8aj.jpg

This is a rabbit lump in my girl

It is virtually impossible to give an accurate estimate

So many variables exist here
How big were the grand parents?
How big was mum?
How much food when young?

7yr old so past its growth stage
Will continue to grow but much more slowly now

It is virtually impossible to give an accurate estimate

So many variables exist here
How big were the grand parents?
How big was mum?
How much food when young?

7yr old so past its growth stage
Will continue to grow but much more slowly now
Is there a general age that this growing stage ends or is it more a gradual slow that is hard to tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back