Thick tailed gecko :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDkeeper

Reaction score
Was just cleaning out my thick tails tank when I noticed that he has shed and found his skin under a rock and I'm pretty happy cause he looks a bit bigger to and was wondering when would I be able to pick him up because he is 7weeks old now and people are saying that you shouldn't pick them up because it makes them not eat and was wondering how old does he need to be before I can pick him up??

Geckos are an observational pet only pretty much. It's not a good idea to hold any gecko at any age as they stress out quite a bit from it.

It is not recommended holding geckos of any age.They are fairly fragile and may drop there tail or jump off your hand.They are also stressed easily.Hope I helped in some way

Alright it's just that it would be annoying fixing up his tank while he's barking and striking at me but thanks

Alright it's just that it would be annoying fixing up his tank while he's barking and striking at me but thanks

He is barking and striking for a reason and its not so he can be picked up...

No he doesn't bark and strike at the moment it's just for in the future when he's an adult

How many times do you need to be told not to handle it unnecessarily?
I have about 15 thick tails and you know how many have been handled this week?
Two.
One because she is gravid, and the other because I needed to weight him as I am trying to put condition back on him.

I have over 300 knobbies and thicktails combined and I handle everyone one of my geckos nearly every single night. They breed at an exceptional rate and for people that say it causes stress to them and they drop there tails its a load of crap. Not one of my animals has dropped it's tail or been stressed due to being held and I have been keeping these geckos for over 5 years now

When your cleaning your tank , pick it up and move him .. it will do him no harm at all , I keep and breed a fair few geckos and never had a single issues handling them for a short period while cleaning or checking them over.
I do not recommend sitting on the lounge playing with them for long periods though.

See this is what I mean people say no don't handle them and the other people say yes handle them so that's why I asked cause its the same on the net

When your cleaning your tank , pick it up and move him .. it will do him no harm at all , I keep and breed a fair few geckos and never had a single issues handling them for a short period while cleaning or checking them over.
I do not recommend sitting on the lounge playing with them for long periods though.
Over 300 that's a lot aha any way where getting a bit of track my original question is when could I start handling them like when do you start handling your hatchies

Over 300 that's a lot aha any way where getting a bit of track my original question is when could I start handling them like when do you start handling your hatchies

did you even read Dicky's response?

"I do not recommend sitting on the lounge playing with them for long periods though."

I pick up my knobby tail every second day, he gets scooped up, put into his feeding bin, eats all his crickets and then gets scooped back into his enclosure. I've never had a problem with doing that, I dont handle him other than that though, and only then because his enclosure is large and the crickets tend to go nuts in there and I like to see how much he is eating and to keep a record of it.

Yeah I did but knobbliest said the exact opposite and dicky what do you mean by long periods as in how long would that be

at the end of the day it comes down to you waiting to hear the answer you want, so there is no point in replying.

I pick up my knobby tail every second day, he gets scooped up, put into his feeding bin, eats all his crickets and then gets scooped back into his enclosure. I've never had a problem with doing that, I dont handle him other than that though, and only then because his enclosure is large and the crickets tend to go nuts in there and I like to see how much he is eating and to keep a record of it.

I like this idea! How long would you say it takes to leave him in there? Also is it the tub the crickets live in or do you also transfer crickets too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back