Opinions on enclosure size for coastal please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have recently converted an old trophy display cabinet into an enclosure, it looks the part, my coastal seems to be happy however im wondering how long it will last him. Its got plenty of height and the width is fine but the depth is only around 40cm :? its perfect 4 now lol however im already browsing the net for others with more floor space. What do you think? he is 16mths old so far from fully grown at the moment. View attachment 286729Mean while hubby is ready 2 divorce me because ive had him do a few for me however i keep changing my mind :p

What a friend done was add to the enclosure joined two together. Got an smaller low bow type thing and made another compartment. Gave me some ideas what I would like to do.

Ambush thats a clever idea - i will prob just purchase a larger one though....dont wanna push my luck with my other half. Each time i say 'yep this is it last one i promise' :lol:

Hey there montysrainbow, why would you want to deprive your man of the satisfaction of doing something for you, contrary to popular thought us guys get a warm inner glow when we can do something that brings a smile to our ladies face, we might grumble and groan about doing it but that is the front we have to display for the benefit of our mates lol...whoooops i think i might have given our secret away,.................................Ron

Start doing it yourself - he will jump in and 'do it properly' for you :)

Start doing it yourself - he will jump in and 'do it properly' for you :)

lol now this is a genius idea! and i know it would work lol because the other afternoon i made my own light cage and after what felt like hrs of struggling to perfect it and putting it in the enclosure myself he came up stairs and said 'Why didnt you just ask me to do it it would have taken me 5 minutes' :lol:
still it felt good completing a small thing 4 myself :) How long do you think this will last me? (the enclosure pictured)

Last edited:
Just build to what you can afford .What you have is quiet fine for awhile yet .Only one of mine is in a large(ok bloody big enclosure(scrubby)).My Olive is big and she is only in an 8x2x2 cage and the coastal (Poofy) is in a 6 x3x2 cage .They are quiet happy in there but they also spend a fair bit of time out of their enclosures so i see there is no point in going overboard with the enclosure size .Have alook at alot of the big American breeders they have most of their stuff in slide out bins .Snakes will quiet happily adapt to where they live but in saying that don't try and stuff a large snake into a shoebox size enclosure .Look everyones opinions on this are different so just go to what you feel comfortable with and how much you are willing to spend .

Just build to what you can afford .What you have is quiet fine for awhile yet .Only one of mine is in a large(ok bloody big enclosure(scrubby)).My Olive is big and she is only in an 8x2x2 cage and the coastal (Poofy) is in a 6 x3x2 cage .They are quiet happy in there but they also spend a fair bit of time out of their enclosures so i see there is no point in going overboard with the enclosure size .Have alook at alot of the big American breeders they have most of their stuff in slide out bins .Snakes will quiet happily adapt to where they live but in saying that don't try and stuff a large snake into a shoebox size enclosure .Look everyones opinions on this are different so just go to what you feel comfortable with and how much you are willing to spend .

Thats true, i was amazed on that tv show python hunters at how they have their huge pythons living in drawers! lol but it works 4 them.

I will leave this one as his home 4 a while, i wish it were a bit deeper but ah well nothings perfect. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Had my behind kicked a couple of years back by the S.A. Authority for keeping one adult carpet in a 4*2*2 enclosure. So just do some research to be safe.

Had my behind kicked a couple of years back by the S.A. Authority for keeping one adult carpet in a 4*2*2 enclosure. So just do some research to be safe.

will do and thanks 4 the advice. Hubby just assured me that he will upsize for me as soon as he looks too squished in there :) i shall leave him be 4 a while and keep an eye out on gumtree for something larger incase i find a bargain lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back