Thick tailed gecko :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I had a highly respected vet over at my place and he held one of my geckos for over 1 hour and she just sat there, most of my geckos enjoy being held. As soon as I open my tubs they come running up to me to pick them up. I handle my geckos from as soon as they hatch out.

See this is what I mean people say no don't handle them and the other people say yes handle them so that's why I asked cause its the same on the net

I never said to "handle" it as in play with it and take it to the park ... I just meant if you need to clean its tank then pick it up and move it and it will be fine. ;)

Over 300 that's a lot aha any way where getting a bit of track my original question is when could I start handling them like when do you start handling your hatchies

Maybe I needed to be clearer , I do not "handle" as in ... I do not play with my geckos , I do not sit on the lounge with them , I do not let the kids and visitors play with them ..
I do pick them up and move them when needed though, if they need to be checked for eggs or left over shed etc then I pick them up , if the tubs needs cleaning I pick them up.. I think there is big difference between general keeping and "handling" geckos.
But that's just me , I do the same with my snakes too.

I think if you are gentle and go the right way about 'handling' your Geckos there are no ill effects. By handle though I mean pretty much what everyone else said... Only when you have to.

Having said that though. A lot of people (on Youtube [even well respected Herpers]) seem to handle larger types of Geckos without any problems... Could just be for the segment though I guess so it's not that long at all really.

If you were a small type of Gecko you wouldn't like it if you had these massive hands coming down at you constantly would you?

I wouldn't even take my bearded dragons to the park I don't let any of my reptiles outside in fear of them running of and I wouldn't let anyone hold my gecko cause he runs around a lot and when I do hold him I make sure it's heaps quite so nothing scares him and makes him jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back