Eastern water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana1

Reaction score
Hi :). Just wondering about keeping eastern water dragons as im relatively new to owning reptiles, and would like to get a water dragon. Im also interested in getting bearded dragons if i cannot appropriatley house a water dragon. Which brings me to the question, I have an 8 foot cupboard that im thinking of transforming into an enclosure for water dragons, would this be big enough to house two grown adults? All opinions please! (as i have a naughty dog that doesnt take kindly to other animals,i cannot house them outside). Thank you.

Seen plenty of pics where 2 were in a 5ft enclosure. Don't keep them myself but from recollection some fully grown males can reach almost a metre from snout to tip of tail.

DSC_0110.jpgewd tank.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

These are a few snaps of my indoor EWD viv and one of my boys. my tank is quite different now but the size is about 1220 x 900x 700.
Atm there is 2 1/2yo males living in there happily but in the next year or so i will put my guys outside.. they have enough room to co exist happily because i have used all the height of the viv and lots of hides and deep substrate for burrowing( they love to burrow).
Make sure you have lots of water because i see a few keepers with a tiny lunch box of water for an adult dragon and mine love to swim and stay underwater sometimes..

For water i use a 52 ltr starmaid tub with a canister filter. crystal clear water all the time and clean the filter once a month.

An 8ft enclosure is perfectly fine for two mature adults, in an 8ft enclosure you could posibly fit 4 mature adults;)
just in case you are thinking of getting hatchling to raise they could be raised for 6 months in large plastic tubs.
just remember! even hatchlings need water to get into.:)

I Know This Is An Old Thread, But If You Have A Hatchling water Dragon Can U Put Water In A Plastic Container And Change It Every Day with tap Water. Can They Tolerate tap Water?
Thanks.

I Know This Is An Old Thread, But If You Have A Hatchling water Dragon Can U Put Water In A Plastic Container And Change It Every Day with tap Water. Can They Tolerate tap Water?
Thanks.

We use filtered tap water. But we don;t have the chemicals in our water that some other places might have.

Pura tap water is ok. EWD are hardy as hell and can live in near poluted waterways without and dramas. I dont recommend this though. I used tap water when mine were babies and they were ok..

Get a 7ltr sisteema tub and a 7 dollar filter from big w and chuck that in if you want. You will need to clean the filter every few days though because they are messy little critters.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

An 8' enclosure would be fine for the first few years, but as adults they will definitely need a large out door enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back