What age is "full-grown"? (Coastal)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At seven or about there most carpet pythons virtually stop growing
Up until then their growth is fast and easy to see

I would expect maybe 12inches more if it lives to 20 and is fed at normal rates
Only difference may be if its an unmated female
Sometimes they can put a spurt on around 7 or 8yrs

Nah she's more into my jack Russell's lol.

To the op, what others have said, mine shed about 3 times a year ATM. Their growth slows right down

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, cheers longqi. He has probably grown about 2 ft the past 3 years. Another foot seems manageable.

Its probably safe to say that upon death, your snake has reached its final growth!

Further to this.... Will he eat less as he gets older... ummmm in terms of, i last fed him in April (now June) i have been lessening his exposure to heat/light to match the melbourne winter. last year he didnt feed from Mid june til November. but he just hasnt been at all active or looking in the mood for food since hs last feed in April... should i chuck him something to keep him going til summer (he doesnt feed in spring, he just wants to get laid typically) or should i not feed him if he is showing no signs of interest?

TIA
(its a constant learning curve as they grow huh?)

Please explain why kittens deserve to be food any less than other animals, if they were humanely killed ofcourse.

I would have no issue with feeding kittens to my snakes (were it not for the diseases etc) it's the circle of life and I see far too many stray cats around to have any qualms. Population control - I'm all for it :D

On another note, was at a pet shop in Brisbane last week, they were selling rats and had a very large sign: Please note we DO NOT sell as food for your snakes, these are PET rats.
Made me LOL :)

And in answer to the original post - I was under the impression that pythons were considered mature around the 2-3 year mark?? They may grow more after that as mentioned above but isn't this when they're considered adults or for the most part full grown?

Anyone needing Rabbits. Pet barn is stocking 3 sizes at all time. However you need to take out a bank loan. They are really silly prices. Starting at $35 for a 500g going to $65 for a 2kg

And in answer to the original post - I was under the impression that pythons were considered mature around the 2-3 year mark?? They may grow more after that as mentioned above but isn't this when they're considered adults or for the most part full grown?

That is when they generally reach sexual maturity, not when growth slows down. One of mine is coming up to 4 years and still has noticeable growth, not quite on the same level as a hatchy but still noticeable.

A lot of animals hit sexual maturity before they are "fully grown".

Anyone needing Rabbits. Pet barn is stocking 3 sizes at all time. However you need to take out a bank loan. They are really silly prices. Starting at $35 for a 500g going to $65 for a 2kg
That's insane, what a rort. I hope no one pays that! Rabbits farmed for human consumption aren't even that expensive, and they come with the extra luxury of being skinned!
As for the original question, my partner picked up a roadkill coastal carpet in the gold coast hinterland which meaured over 3 metres. Many years ago and no photo unfortunately.

y3ahe8aj.jpg

This is a rabbit lump in my girl

So which one has the rabbit lump?

Id love to feed mine rabbits all the time, but since in Queensland we cant breed them its just expenisve to feed them pet shop rabbits. Dont get me wrong I feed my coastal 500g rabbits and that lasts her a month, that costs me $23 but I have trouble finding large rats around that size so its easier for me to feed them rabbits. Anyway I think that she prefers a rabbit than a rat. :)

this guy was in Mt Kaputar National Park his head was much bigger than my fist and went almost all the way across the road , maybe 10ft or a little more .It was a quick pic as I had to stop cars from using it as a speed hump :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back