Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew.21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I love all the species we have in Australia but why can't we buy exotic species . Like different kind of reptiles , we get exotic fish , birds , cats and dogs. So why not reptiles?

Yea diseases and stuff , but doesn't that happen from the other species that we get as I was saying . Birds ,fish so on.

Yea diseases and stuff , but doesn't that happen from the other species that we get as I was saying . Birds ,fish so on.

Yeah, but they're already in the country. I guess they just don't want to bring in anything else that might ruin the eco system. At least we have strict laws about keeping reptiles here. You know America have bearded dragon shelters there now? Because people dump them like they do cats and dogs. In fact, when people get tired of them, they throw them outside to fend for themselves and then they die in winter. :(So sad. Glad Australia isn't like that with our reptiles.

Last edited:
Yeah, but they're already in the country. I guess they just don't want to bring in anything else that might ruin the eco system. At least we have strict laws about keeping reptiles here. You know America have bearded dragon shelters there now? Because people dump them like they do cats and dogs. In fact, when people get tired of them, they throw them outside to fend for themselves and then they die in winter. :(So sad. Glad Australia isn't like that with our reptiles.

That is extremely sad..... Extremely....

Unfortunately way too much of that happens here too, Just look on gumtree and see how many reptiles are being sold because the kids lost interest after a week, or a bit snappy at 3 months of age or any other rediculous reason. then they find out they need a permit to sell them and the ads disappear but never reappear. Does that mean they decided to keep them????? I think in a lot of cases they are dumped or sold illegally. Also there are already exotics here, they get found occasionally in the wild after being released and they are constantly advertised for sale on gumtree and similar sites.

You're dreaming if you think Australia isn't already there. Licensing laws implace but cannot be enforced due to a lack of resources.

Unfortunately way too much of that happens here too, Just look on gumtree and see how many reptiles are being sold because the kids lost interest after a week, or a bit snappy at 3 months of age or any other rediculous reason. then they find out they need a permit to sell them and the ads disappear but never reappear. Does that mean they decided to keep them????? I think in a lot of cases they are dumped or sold illegally. Also there are already exotics here, they get found occasionally in the wild after being released and they are constantly advertised for sale on gumtree and similar sites.

At least there's still some enthusiasts out there. When the kids get sick of that albino green tree python, I'm so there! :)

I would love to get a chameleon , they are so cool but there exotic :( . I'm sure lots of people want them

A large % of exotic reptiles WOULD and WILL thrive in Australia.
As 'cool' as they seem, in todays day and age it'd be one of the biggest mistakes Australia could make.
I prefer all out natives over exotics anyway, why not make use with what we've got?

Well at least in Victoria we have the Lost Reptiles Home, 2 branches of it actually. Many snakes and lizards get handed in that have been found or just because the owners are moving or can't manage them, or whatever. It would be nice if all States had these, just like we have dog and cat shelters.

American TV show "python hunters" gives good insight into exotic animals that are playing havoc on ecosystem.

I love all the species we have in Australia but why can't we buy exotic species . Like different kind of reptiles , we get exotic fish , birds , cats and dogs. So why not reptiles?
For that exact reason. Some exotic fish have been released into Australian waterways already and in some areas survive quite o.k. so I am told. I like some exotic reptiles but you don't miss what you never had. Why not keep Australia the unique country it is and not follow others like sheep. This is just my opinion.

I know....but still not as bad as throwing the reptiles into the street to die in the snow.

Perhaps not tossing them out too the snow but the number of reptiles that would be released into the nearest water body or patch of bushland would surprise you. Many of which will be doomed to deaths.

Exotics are not as nice as our snakes. They seemed boring and dull when I was in the States. It was our reptiles that were popular there. I went to many different pet stores and reptiles stores. Even had a scumbag asking could I smuggle for him..
It was nice seen some very passionate keepers there.

Bismarck python
Boelins Python
White Lipped Python
White Lipped Green Pit Viper
Eye lash Viper
Boiga Dendrophila
Sunbeam Snake

Any one of those is eat your heart out material
So dont think we have the best of reptiles
BUT
We do have the most successfully protected ones
When you see what happens overseas you will be thankful for our laws

I'd take a woma or a BHP over anything exotic.

But, I doubt it's hygiene that has anything to do with the severe restrictions.

I think it's more to do with feral potential of some exotic species, which undoubtedly there is, perhaps very high feral potential in certain species. That, along with the fact that those breeding large numbers and making huge amounts of money from the trade don't want the market to be opened up for buyers which would interfere with their ability to sell animals that are currently in high demand due simply to the fact that buyers have fewer choices.

That's just my view, but I think it's pretty close to the truth. Sorry to be the bearer of hard words, but these are as good as I can come up with. To me it appears those two things are the only logical conclusion. Keeping exotics is not really a problem with the exception of feral potential. But, since we already have cats and dogs and other assorted species already here and in massive numbers, I doubt exotics will make much of a dent so much as a difference in the ecosystem. If I am wrong then maybe someone here could call me out on that but I doubt you're going to find anyone on here who would be willing to argue with me or indeed anyone here with experience in the politics of trade.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is big tobacco companies trying to ban alternative electric cigarettes - they're trying to stop ex-smokers who've taken up what is known as "vaping" from being able to legally purchase nicotine-containing liquid known as "e-juice". In other words, it's not about health risks as they claim, it's simply about controlling what goes to who - in this case it's all about money.

I'm jaded, but I'm not going to insult my own intelligence here by pole-axing common sense. It is what it is and it's just a case of tough **** what are you gonna do about it?

The problem with comparing released snakes and lizards to released cats and dogs is the niche which these animals thrive in. A cane toad does not eat the same food as a feral cat, yet you can't say it has no effect on the ecosystem. Ignoring the toad's bufotoxin, the food sources they utilise reduce food available for native species, and they take shelters that native species could occupy. I go down to the local waterway to fish up small fish for my turtle, and 95% of what I fish up are not gudgeons, but rather livebearers (indeed, I throw gudgeons back). You can not tell me that the prevalence and ease in which livebearers breed does not influence populations of gudgeons. The niches which exotic snakes would occupy would directly compete with native animals, thereby reducing their populations in the wild.

The ONLY reptiles I could think of that would not have a severe impact on native species are tortoises (not turtles) because: assuming you have chosen the correct species, they eat grasses - no competition for food due to prevalence of grasses we have no native tortoises - no comparable species; their requirements for housing are largely reduced compared to reptiles - no or little housing competition; they are not predators; they are slow - easy targets when young for predators. The largest risk factors I could see would be secondary ones, eg increase in feral cat populations due to a new, easy to catch food, which puts pressure on native species.

This is why Australia cannot, and should never allow the introduction of exotic reptiles.

Look at the damage the Rats of the Sky are doing.
Indian Minor is taking nesting sites. The Rosella numbers here are down big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back