Sand Monitor Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max101

Reaction score
Hi im thinking about getting a monitor I don't want something to small or something to big seeing as its my first monitor so ive decided on a sand monitor. I just wanted to know some information about them like temperament, housing etc any info would be appreciated. Thanks

This caresheet should help u out.
Antmisk Monitors: Sand Monitor Care Sheet

They will need to be moved outside when older due to size and how much exercise these guys need, imo a minimum of 3x3x2 (metre) enclosure size will be needed. Where are u located?, if ur somewhere outside their natural range then additional heat will need to be added during the cooler months. Good choice tho, a sand monitor will be my choice when i eventually have enough space to get into monitors. Idk what the minimum size is on the code of practice tho, will have to check it out.

I would not have thought of Sand Monitors as intermediate in size. At over a metre in length when fully grown, that is a large lizard and as stated, they will need outside housing before they reach that stage. I would have thought Ackie, Spotted Tree, Black-head or Rusty Monitors, around 60 or 70 cm would be more middle of the road. You have a choice of terrestrial or arboreal and they can be housed indoors for the duration, if so desired.

Blue

I would not have thought of Sand Monitors as intermediate in size. At over a metre in length when fully grown, that is a large lizard and as stated, they will need outside housing before they reach that stage. I would have thought Ackie, Spotted Tree, Black-head or Rusty Monitors, around 60 or 70 cm would be more middle of the road. You have a choice of terrestrial or arboreal and they can be housed indoors for the duration, if so desired.

Blue

Gouldii.JPG
+1 Lol

^^^ I think there is a little bit of panoptes in that one. ^^^

^^^ I think there is a little bit of panoptes in that one. ^^^

You may be right, it was straight from google lol.
Was just trying to show these monitors can get BIG.
An enclosure for that sized animal would have to be an outdoor pit/aviary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back