Learning to sex pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbest

Reaction score
Im interested in learning to probe my pythons in order to make sure I do in fact have the right sexes for future breeding projects. I'm assuming that this is best learnt from someone with experience and I dont think I want to attempt it on my own. I was wondering if anyone in the Gold Coast area could help me with this or if I might be better off perhaps asking the local reptile vet in Currumbin if he would assist. How have other people gone about learning this??? Any advice would be invaluable . Thanks in advance.

I bought my own probes and some vaso and probed mine for the first time today. I never had anyone teach me, I just did lots of reading and watched a few relevant videos. I know the way of thinking of most users on here but I believe if you have half a brain and know the general idea its worth trying. I would have definitely preferred if I had a herp friend to talk me through the process but in reality I dont so the only way forward for me was to have a go. Im confident no damage was done...although not so confident on my determination of sex. From my attempt I think its female because down the left side of the tail it was about 3 scales deep but the right side i wasnt really getting penetration, or perhaps I didnt get far enough right, but I didnt want to muck around too much so just decided on female. But now I am paranoid it's a boy that was tensing up and not letting me in fully. Will probably try again in a few months when I am thinking about buying a mate. Ill figure it out.
and for the forthcoming lecturers: wind up and take your best shot.
;)

don't use vaseline use a water based lubricant, also get someone experienced to show you...

Learning = face to face with an experienced mentor is the best way.

This is one of the reasons HSQ will be holding meetings once again in the near future

Cheers
Sandee :)

Thanks for your honesty nintendont lol I definately get where your coming from. And thanks for the tips so far. I would like to exhaust all possibilities before attempting it on my own. I never knew there was a HSQ. How would I be able to get involved Wild Touch? This is great hobby and if people are happy to share this advice it would definitely help to grow it in the right direction I think. Hopefully someone in the Gold Coast area reads this and can offer some assistance :)

don't use vaseline use a water based lubricant
reasons for this would be helpful? I was going to get some KY but decided on vaso because the tub is really convenient for dipping and sticking rather than juggling a snake, probes and trying to squeeze a tube as well.

reasons for this would be helpful? I was going to get some KY but decided on vaso because the tub is really convenient for dipping and sticking rather than juggling a snake, probes and trying to squeeze a tube as well.
My guess would be that it is petroleum based and can cause irritation to sensitive skin and might do the same to the snake internally.

Solution for the ky would be squeeze some into a container in preparation. Then dip the probe in just like you would with the vaso

Solution for the ky would be squeeze some into a container in preparation. Then dip the probe in just like you would with the vaso
When the vet probed my clutch he squeezed the KY onto a flat surface for use. He tends to use thick silk suture material for hatchlings and silicone tubing for adults. Both are flexible, making the process less traumatic. (Yes, I know that probes are thin and flexible, but not as much as the suture or tubing.) In fact, the snakes seem to be more worried about being restrained than about the probing.

I did a course at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and they showed me how to sex a snake. If you go there and ask one of the keepers they might show you.

I did a course at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and they showed me how to sex a snake. If you go there and ask one of the keepers they might show you.
Awesome might have to try getting in contact with someone there too

Reptile vets should show you how and demonstrate :)

I would recommend Dr Peter Wilson in Currumbin Valley. Although I haven't lived there for 7 years I'm sure he is still operating from his C'bin Valley residence. He has a wealth of experience with reptiles and I believe he keeps and breeds reptiles too. I took my pythons to him on several occasions and I highly recommend. He's a friendly bloke and I'm sure he'd be happy to show you the safest method of probing. He probed a pair of my water pythons many years ago as I wanted to confirm that I'd bought a pair. Give him a go...
Cheers

Does anyone use the popping technique?

Popping is more effective on young hatchies when they don't have the muscle tone to fight the forced prolapse of the hemipenes. I don't like popping but done right by an experienced hand it's fine. The problem with popping is that it can really only confirm males. If I popped something and got no hemipenes I'd still probe to confirm that it was female. I prefer to cut to the chase and probe.

Are you able to revisit the breeder of your hatchy? Maybe they could show you.

I bought my own probes and some vaso and probed mine for the first time today. I never had anyone teach me, I just did lots of reading and watched a few relevant videos. I know the way of thinking of most users on here but I believe if you have half a brain and know the general idea its worth trying. I would have definitely preferred if I had a herp friend to talk me through the process but in reality I dont so the only way forward for me was to have a go. Im confident no damage was done...although not so confident on my determination of sex. From my attempt I think its female because down the left side of the tail it was about 3 scales deep but the right side i wasnt really getting penetration, or perhaps I didnt get far enough right, but I didnt want to muck around too much so just decided on female. But now I am paranoid it's a boy that was tensing up and not letting me in fully. Will probably try again in a few months when I am thinking about buying a mate. Ill figure it out.
and for the forthcoming lecturers: wind up and take your best shot.
;)

perfectly said... They are just snakes.... Even if someone had to teach the learners, they will still need someone to do the probing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back