I need help pleeease

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karmag

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 18 month old darwin carpet, has not eaten for over 2.5 months.... i am now getting very worried. He ued to take a rat every week without fail, then just stopped.
I have been treating him for mites... its been 3 doses and baths and now he is not sitting in his water bowl every night like he was.
I tried to give him a weaner rat tonight.... no good. left it in the enclosure until now..... 3am and he is not interested in the slightest. Should i go down a size or two to get him to eat something... anything... i am really worried. can anyone help me please

There is a good chance he is just not eating because of all the mite treatment and it stressing him out. Give it a week and try again and try to leave him alone as much as possible and let him settle down.

Ok thanks but, he is loosing condition. he looked so fit and healthy before the mite episode. Should i go down from weaner rats when i try again.... how long can he go withouth food before he is really sick?

forgot to say that i bought him a bigger enclosure too. could this have upset him 2

I'd say its a combination of all of the above.. Give him some time to get over the treatment and settle in to its new home, don't bother trying to handle it as it will only stress him out. If its 18 months old, it should have sufficient stores to go a good while without food so don't worry too much... Keep the temps up and try again in a week. How long between the 3 treatments??

approximately 5 - 6 days as i was told the eggs hatch in 5 day cycles....

I have been trying not to worry, but he cost my husband a great deal of $ and i dont want to loose him..... he is very special. he is the most beautiful snake ever and so calm, but i guess your right, we have stressed him to the max with all the washes and sprays, and new home. etc...... i just want him to get back to where he was. miteless.... how the hell did he get them anyway. also i guess he will not shed either ?

Shedding is generally increased with the presence of mites (it's a snakes natural attempt to rid himself of the little buggers). The treatment given sounds very full on, did the instructions say to do it that frequently? Also, did you spray the snake directly at all or wipe it over, or bath it in a diluted solution? It's my understanding that some of these mite treatments can be quite strong and need to be very careful not to over treat or administer undiluted....I know you're stressing but try to relax. Mites are generally transferred through cross contamination, (handling an infested specimen and then being passed on to the next specimen handled) have you had him long or have you acquired a new reptile as of late???

No he is my one and only snake, I have always washed after handling either my dogs or cat, also new.... but i have not handled another snake anywhere, The spray i used was in a yellow can. i read the instructions and was told by my herp shop to do it 3 times to be sure they were all gone. soaked him in water for 20 mins first, then dried him off sprayed him directly in a tub, put lid on for 10 mins. Then put him back into his enclosure. I have no idea how he got them ?

Actually had a magnifying glass and checked his water daily as he was soaking in it, which he had never done before. then checked the specks i saw and they were like tiny little ant things, so definately knew then he had mites. but those were the only ones i saw. since then no more have showed up. have checked daily in water, checked when he was washed, I have read so much about mites. and seeing how some americans deal with them was very radical. i thought about giving him a bath in flea and tick shampoo just coz i was at the end of my rope. so scared i am going to loose him....

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like he's just a little shaken from all of the "excitement" however if he starts showing any symptoms that are a bit odd, (stargazing, shaking, trembling, loss of coordination/ balance etc) or if youre concerned at all, seek veterinary assistance. Its a good idea to have a vet check done every 6 months to ensure all is well. I'm not sure how many herp vets are near you but I'm sure that there are people on this site who could recommend one. These are my opinions based on my personal experiences only. I hope it all turns out well for you....

ps: don't tick n flea shampoo him, that stuff is for dogs and cats....

Last edited:
Thank you for your time. i understand they are your opinions but am grateful that you have helped my worries a bit.
cheers

i was wondering if i should take him to a vet, but need to find one that deals with reptiles in the north of adelaide.

He is not doing any of the above. he seems ok , just stayin in his hide, minding his own business. jumpy maybe, but i would be too, if i thought you were going to spray me with some crap after a nice warm bath... thanks again.

ok will say the one thing i have noticed and that is he has a very dirty nose. now i thought this was mites. but i check it every day... and even after washes his nose area is still dirty. ???? any one seen this before.... he had olive pips in his last enclosure, not has fake grass. could this just be dust fromthe olive pips.::?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help with the mite problem sorry, as for herp vets, when I got my snakes the first thing I did was look around for them just incase the worst happened and I needed one, found there is a herp vet recommended at the vet on unley rd unley, just down from green hill rd, as for feeding, it has been suggested here before, try putting him back into a smaller tub/ enclosure for a few days then try to feed again, once he starts again he may have no further problems feeding, he might feel more secure in a smaller environment

Mites/ new enclosure and don't forget the now cooler nights where u come from.... Make sure cool end is in the mid 20's and basking spot 32/33..... Darwins live in an area where it's still warm in the winter at night so keep this in mind spesh since he been through a tough time lately

ok thanks but can i also ask, he was on weanling rats, he has lost weight since not eating, are these too big for him, should i drop down a size or two to assist. I dont want to put him back into an enclosure that may have had mites anyway.... he is always hiding in his rock since the new enclosure we only see him at night at present.

thank you so much.... i know exactly where all these vets are and will take him there this week.

Have u got a pic? What size is the snake and enclosure?

snake is 1500 long he is in a 1200x600x500 and at the moment only has plastic grass and a hide. and water bowl. since the mites, i have not put anything else in until he settles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back