Electricians..... settle an arguement please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wattages stated for light fittings are usually for a specific type of lamp, plastic BC fittings are normally rated for incandescent lamps, as soon as you put anything else in them the wattage rating is meaningless. A 60w CHE runs a great deal hotter than a 60w incandescent lamp. I used to work in a lighting factory.

Yeah thats what I meant bellow... :)

I've never heard of adaptors being illegal. But the above is correct. They are usually only rated for 60w and certainly not rated for ceramic heat emitters.
(I'm a sparky).

Taking risks with electrical fittings... hmmm. You could lose your house, so it could turn out a bit more expensive than 30 mins of a sparkie's time...

Probably too young to remember the fire at the ARP...

Jamie

I simply asked a question about adapters. as it pans out, they are deemed unsafe. end of story. I hardly see the relevance of your smart comment Jamie. besides, I'm probably older than you and I'm a female... what of it???

Thank you to everyone else. much appreciated.

I simply asked a question about adapters. as it pans out, they are deemed unsafe. end of story. I hardly see the relevance of your smart comment Jamie. besides, I'm probably older than you and I'm a female... what of it???

I dunno. He is pretty old.

This is kind of hijacking this thread.

But if adaptrrs are unsafe especially for hotter lamps where do people get their fittings/sockets?

Example I use GU10 bulbs for my ackie and GTP and they are both on ES/GU10 adaptors from ebay but I think they look ugly and want to buy some nice looking fittings and get A sparky to wire A cord to it for me.

For ES style lamps I either use ceramic reptile fittings or those black plastic outdoor type things from hardware stores. These are only for lizards though other then my GTP my snakes only got heatcord with A heavy insulated hide box to cut costs

I've never heard of adaptors being illegal. But the above is correct. They are usually only rated for 60w and certainly not rated for ceramic heat emitters.
(I'm a sparky).
I thought the term "sparky" was used because builders couldn't spell electrician not a term used by electrical engineers.

I thought the term "sparky" was used because builders couldn't spell electrician not a term used by electrical engineers.
Hahaha. Im still not an engineer and probably wont finish my degree. I work full time as an electrical designer which I really enjoy. The extra study is handy but not necessary to be a designer. I've always called my self a sparky rather than an electrician. I think the correct term on our license is electrical mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't 'Sparky' an acronym for how electricians view being on time?

Sometimes
Possibly
Approximately
Rarely
Kinda
Yeah.....But

;)

Hahaha. Im still not an engineer and probably wont finish my degree. I work full time as an electrical designer which I really enjoy. The extra study is handy but not necessary to be a designer. I've always called my self a sparky rather than an electrician. I think the correct term on our license is electrical mechanic.
Yeah my license is electrical fitter/mechanic/linesperson but I prefer sparky too, I do think wing-nut has hit the nail on the head with his acronym though. krOnik , the GU10 fitting can be purchased from any bunnings or lighting specialty store , they are just down lights.

I'm sorry if I offended you W_W, it was not my intention to appear critical or sarcastic, I was just making the point for the benefit of ALL members who were interested in this thread that risk-taking with electrics can have catastrophic consequences, far beyond a minor scorching of the enclosure. My post was not aimed at you personally, so I think you've rather overreacted. As far as the female thing goes, I didn't even notice that you were a female until this morning when I looked up into the top right-hand corner of your post. I'm 64 and not nearly as sexist as you seem to think I am lol!

Jamie

it's all good Python.

I'm new to all this and have had to teach myself everything. Not too easy. I ask questions here because I know that ppl here are full of info and 90% are extemely helpful.

I have no intention of doing any re wiring myself - nor will I use the adapters. :)

All fittings for enclosures should be ceramic and high temp wire should be used also, along with a sheet of fibre cement or similar in between the fitting and the enclosure ceiling.Anything less is asking for trouble.

All fittings for enclosures should be ceramic and high temp wire should be used also, along with a sheet of fibre cement or similar in between the fitting and the enclosure ceiling.Anything less is asking for trouble.

excellent. thank you so much. valuable info like this should be pinned so others know the correct way to set up lighting.

Biggest thing to remember about the lighting is to make sure you have the correct ventilation around the socket and globe. Most downlights catch fire because the transformers get covered in insulation. If you can get a licensed sparky in (make sure they have a license), they should be able to tell you exactly what air space should be around it and what sort of covering is possible, to not cause any issues

I have used three different "brands" of these fitting before and all failed (melted, shorted, fell apart) within a few months. One was even a ceramic model.

My advice is to stay well clear of clear of any such adaptors, however i never used them for low wattage bulbs (<40W).

Hahahaha. I can't believe you wired it that way. You've run neutral to earth. It works, but is so wrong. Nothing like having 240 run through your earth wiring. Lucky for the M.E.N.
Either you have no safety switch or its not working.

DIY wiring is dangerous kids. :)

Totally wrong!
Very dangerous the way that you have set up.

Lets not get too carried away and break the site rule of giving info to wire cages.
I think the post I quoted should stay though as an example of how easy it is to get it wrong. The biggest risk is people thinking because it works, it must be fine. And it is fine, until you burn your house down or kill someone.

Ok, I'm speechless......If you don't know what you are doing 100% then LEAVE IT ALONE!

And in case you haven't got the hint unplug the frigging thing becuase it's wired very wrong.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back