Freshwater crocodile is dead

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say sorry that he died. I feel for you mate! :( Sometimes, no matter how great the husbandry cares that are taken and the extent to which you go to help them survive, some reptiles just don't make it. Sad, but it happens. I've often seen people get autopsies from the vet to see what killed their animal. If you decide to get another one in the future, make sure you ask and follow what the person you buy him from says. I would also suggest not buying from the same breeder again, and maybe getting a slightly older animal.
Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes.

Yeah I dose such but its hurts more not knowing why it does suck losing the money but I can make more its more the not knowing or thinking is there something I could have done to prevent it from happening thats why I started this thread to ask the more knowledgeable ppl on this forum

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I dose such but its hurts more not knowing why it does suck losing the money but I can make more its more the not knowing or thinking is there something I could have done to prevent it from happening thats why I started this thread to ask the more knowledgeable ppl on this forum

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry about your loss, it would be hard however long you have had them. Possibly not a lot of people that keep crocs on here. I have not seen a lot of photos or threads relating to them.

kodi08, sorry for your loss but listen to what is said, including what comes from the seller and don't dismiss it because its not what you wish to hear.

Folks, feel free to offer condolences but if you have nothing further helpful to contribute to this thread or helping the OP understand what may have gone wrong, do not post further please.

Found this regarding the husbandry needs of a freshwater croc.

4.6 Temperature Requirements

As freshwater crocodiles, like most crocodilia
ns, are tropical reptiles
it is necessary to
provide individuals with appropriate heati
ng, especially in institutions where the
climate of the area is cooler. Like all rep
t
iles, crocodiles need to
regulate their body
temperature by positioning themselves in warmer
or cooler areas in order to maintain
their preferred body temperature (EAPA, am
ended 2004). Heating devices such as
heat lamps as well as water heaters should
be positioned so that not all of the floor
area is exposed to the heat source, therefore creating a temperature gradient in which
individuals may choose whether to spend time in
near the heat source or further from
it (EAPA, amended, 2004). For
C. johnstoni
the water temperature of the pond in the
exhibit needs to meet requirements also.
It is stated in the EAPA (amended, 2004)
that the water temperature for tropical
crocodilians should be between 26°C and 32°C,
and both this heating system and the

terrestrial heating system should be
controlled thermostatically.

So your temps seems like they shouldn't have been an issue, as suggested an autopsy may help determine what happened.

Sorry for your loss I know how you feel when it comes to a purchase so large ( and a long time saving ) only to have it taken away. Hopefully you can get an autopsy done and find the cause.

A two and a half foot tank is not very big so you probably could not get much of a heat gradient which can make regulating body temp more difficult. How big was the basking area? And was it in excess to the two and a half foot of water surface area or part of it?

My understanding is that freshies can be very 'stressy' and handling is not recommended until they have hit a decent size. This may have contributed to his death.

An autopsy is the only useful thing to do in reality. In the absence of this, everything else is just a bit of a guess.

Did you handle it if you did how long for where is the tank whats the trafic like ect? for I am absest with crocs I don't keep them due to nsw laws witch is realy crap very jelus but 80% of my collection of books are on crocs and there husbandry and from what I have learnt is these lil guys stress real ezy and it can kill them reAly quick do you think this could be the issue? Sorry to hear your lose that would rip me apart once again I'm not a croc keeper I'm just goin off what I have picked up along the way

Last edited:
I have no idea about crocs, but you said you had kids, is there any chance they may have been disturbing him a little to much? No idea how old they are, but from experience with the younger ones they like to tap on glass and peer into enclosures all the time. Maybe that might have played a factor. Sorry for your loss though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back