Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also ate boiled egg. Im going to try them on some chopped up day old chicken tomorrow
You really want to give it raw egg, boiled would get rid of all the goodness in the egg that the monitor needs.. Also try get it on whole food items, pinkie mice + day old quails would be good.
and as 'hector' said.. Stay away from mince unless its a once in a blue moon treat.

Yeah obviously roo mince isn't a staple but they loved it. They seem to prefer the boiled eggs when they are younger plus they are less messy. I vary the diet as much as possible and have previously kept them for years, however only recently got back into keeping herps.

Anyway here's what you have to look forward to Reptilefreak95 (in around 8 months time) its the one I got in June last yr. Hes on top of 2 of those concrete bessa blocks to give an idea of size and not impressed with his new bare enclosure while his hides are being finished off.
The sizes you mentioned that you might go up to, are roughly the size of hercules (don't steal his name :p lol) new enclosure, it's 1500x800x700 and should do him for another 12 months.

Another little gem that have kept mine extremely happy is something a friend of mine Troy Martin told me about.
Take 2 floor tiles (not porcelain) and some heatcord, spread the heatcord evenly over the back of one tile with the plug hanging out long enough (I drill a hole into the side of the enclosure and run the cord through it before making the tile) and tape it all down using silver sarking tape, (the thin one with thread in it not the one with tar masters sells it in smaller rolls) make sure you press it into the grooves so its a bit like a coil and it spreads the heat evenly. Then attach the other tile on top of it and you have yourself a heat tile, i put them under a hide buried in the sand and they always choose that hide to sleep in overnight, has worked with every Spencers I have ever kept, never had any problems with them, their bellies are kept warm so they digest food quickly and always been active and keen feeders :)

Attachments

• 20130310_143301.jpg
    20130310_143301.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 167
OMG! so awesome! haha yea im gonna call him Finn :) little bro suggested it and it stuck haha. so roughly how long is that guy? he looks pretty good for his age. Yea, i might give that a go, hes got the big concrete pavers that hold heat really well all night, so ill definately be doing that when he moves up in his tank size, it sounds awesome!

Heres a few pics i got of him feeding today! he was really calm, and he isnt using his dens at all? hes got four and hes checked them all out, but he still wants so sit out in the open and even sleep in the open, and he doesnt run away or anything. hes so happy to just run around! haha, really awesome little guy! so happy with him. he even let me feed him from the tongs. i was taking pics of him, and in one photo you'll see he just wandered right up and had a sniff of the camera! haha :) so chuffed. hes awesome. :)

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 162
In that last one, thats where he sleeps, i took that when the lights turned on and he was about to wake up. of all the places. i put in dens and hidey holes and everything and he just likes to sleep there. haha ah well. He's happy.

Herc's around the 45cm mark, I haven't measured him for awhile, hes always too busy huffing and puffing and acting all tough when I open his enclosure. He knows when I have tongs its food time and comes running, if I'm spot cleaning he just carries on like he's a rebel tough guy and its a turf war...... but its all bluff ;) Spencer's are mostly bluff and will tail whip rather than bite.
Yeah the lil guys are so tame, its funny when they grab the crickets and run up the rocks to rub them before chewing and swallowing them.

Finn will choose where he is comfortable to sleep, but its good to offer lots of places to hide.
Notice hes picked a small corner to curl up in, one of mine sleeps just outside the hide in the small space between it and the wall where the sand is still warm from the tile, the other has dug a hole inside the hide and sleeps directly over the tile.

Yea I noticed that! Haha thanks "addicted" I got the tank from Peter child of reptiles inc. really good flat pack, best quality I've ever seen. Highly recommend it. Took like less than ten mins to build too and I'm a moron when it comes to building haha

Awesome, might have to get me some. Finn is a little dude. Did you pack a spare pair of pants when you picked him up from the airport? :lol:

Darwin-Boy they were bred by Antmisk on here, I don't think he has any left but if you contact him he will put you on a wait list. We contacted him around a year ago for these ones, before the monitors were even bred and eggs were laid. Had just missed the last clutch so it was a bit of a wait but definitely worth it :)

hehe weighed him, hes 31 grams, and hes feeding on whole pinkies and dusted crickets now, both he'll eat off of tongs :) what an awesome dude, haha so happy

What's the temp of the basking spot, should be near 60c, Have u put more sand, hides in and feeding him rats/mice yet? (Chopped up adults)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back