3 weeks without my girl

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lil_timmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently lost my 14 month old Stimsons Python. I bought her a big girl enclosure as it was about time she got one. It was a Reptile One enclosure so they have that little box at the top with the mesh and then it has the circle cut out for the heat. I bought a fan light as her source of heat but the lamp I had in it was giving off a rainbow effect as I had it secured inside the enclosure. I decided I would try out and see what it was like having it free standing on top of the mesh BUT silly me........forgot to put the lamp over the hole. She got out that night and I haven't seen her since. Now, where i lost her, i have a computer, a 12 inch subwoofer, a chest of drawers, a fridge, a hot water system and a storage compartment. I have checked all through the room yet i still haven't come across her. Now, there is my computer room with all the reptiles then it goes the laundry and the toilet. In the laundry there's a door leading outside which she could get under if she wanted but i don't know if she would have. There is many places she could have gone. I've left heat on and food out and have come out at night with a torch but haven't seen her at all. Since this house gets a little cold and the floors are tiled, maybe she was thinking screw this, it's too cold here and went to the nearest dark spot and has stayed there ever since. What do you guys reckon the chances are of me ever finding her again? Have you all experienced the same situation (well obviously you all have). I'm having withdrawals of my slithery friend and I want cuddles NOW. She was the most friendliest snake and she would always give me kisses on the cheek. Would always take her food every week, never reject unless she was shedding and her sheds were amazingly perfect.

try checking underneath the fridge and hot water system and in every nook and cranny you'd think shed never be able to get into. i found my stimmy i had a few years ago under the fridge, and i know somebody who found theirs in a recliner chair. but id say if its been 3 weeks, shes probably gone. bad luck mate, i feel for you.
Ryan.

Hi mate,
In my experience the escapee (normally) never goes that far, usually I find them hid away within a few meters of their enclosure. I had one go missing for two months, and then one day found it in the bathroom.
Don't give up just yet, I know it's disheartening but this is the nature of losing a snake. It may only take five minutes to find or it takes a few months, just keep your eyes peeled.
Good luck!

^^ this. We recently found our Darwin after she'd been missing for 5 months, so don't lose hope. And wouldn't you know it, when we found her, she was less than 3m from where her enclosure used to be...

My 7ft coastal was out for 3 months and we found her sitting on a ducted air con vent.. (She was in the aircon pipes in the roof the whole time) being the middle of winter she went to the hottest place, witch is up, I'd be looking near that hot water system

Friends of mine lost their 3 month old stimmy (so absolutely tiny!) after 2 weeks of trying really hard to help them find her I gave up. 3 months later and they found her inside a pipe in the cupboard that her tank was on! They had checked there but couldn't see her so assumed she wasn't there.
They really can be anywhere!

Never give up finding them....

Ditto!, i lost a hatchie that reappeared nearly two years later and much grown. I guess it kept the mice population down in the roof etc.

It cannot hurt, (depending on where you live to notifiy local herp societies), WIRES etc. In some cases they do escape the house and they often come in to the care of Wires rescuers and the like.

More than likely she wont be far as mentioned above :) I lost my coastal for the first time a month ago, he's only a yearling and searched for an hour and found him in the top of the linen cupboard next to his tank.

Never give up!

Check the back of the fridge where the motor is.. it will be warm and dark and perfect for snakes to hide. When my RSP went missing, I found her in a tissue box in the waste-paper bin in my office! And my baby Stimmie is the naughtiest shnakey-poo ever and always likes to hide is silly places - can't tell you how many times he's had to wiggle out backwards from the glass tracks of his hide lol.

A couple of points...

1.Don't give up on finding your snake - they usually don't go far, as others have indicated...

2.Don't ever use those fan lights - the worst ever invention to extract money from newbies (they prevent any possibility of useful heat gradient because they force heat throughout the enclosure)

3."And my baby Stimmie is the naughtiest shnakey-poo ever and always likes to hide is silly places" - that's about the most demeaning way of referring to a snake I've ever heard :(!

Jamie

Have you pulled all the draws out of the chest of draws and checked up in the framework for it, my son lost our coastal in his room 1 night and we found her a week later hiding in the framework of his chest of draws, also a lot of linen cupboards open up to the roof for ventilation, get up there with a torch and have a good look around..........................Ron

Thank you to everyone that has posted. My faith in finding my snake has been restored. Whenever i have had her out of her enclosure she always goes to the nearest dark spot but I've checked this room quite a few times although maybe just not good enough. Another question. My misses came home yesterday with a pet guinea pig (Don't ask...but yeah anyway). Now I'm wondering what the chances are of my stimmi smelling it and going oh yeah that's delicious.

When I lose something in the house I spend so long looking for it that my eyes go fuzzy and everything seems the same. Maybe acquire a fresh pair of eyes in the way of a snake friendly friend and see if they can spend a day trying to find it?

Haha yeah, it's like you start being delusional and snakes pop up everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back