Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakish13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So i have been alot of forums and facebook groups and ive been seeing alot of people that get there first reptiles and then a month later talking about breeding straight away...im not bad mouthing any of them but a couple of months is not really enough time to get all husbandry skills and everything right...Theres alot that just ask about how much will i make if i breed this and that...
So my question to everyone is how long do you guys think people should wait till people look at breeding?

I got my first in 2009 and started breeding my knobbies this year

I got my first reps in 2009 also and I hope to breed this year if there conditioned right. Ive been on holidays for the last 4 months in America and my mate has been feeding them so I havnt seen them since last year and will know when I get back if ill try this year or wait till next year.

i got my first reps about 4 years ago and are only just starting to breed them

i am the same i got some pygmy beardies five years ago and just started to breed them the two females produced three clutches, 100% hatch rate for all. beginning of last year started playing with some geckos and maybe breed them this season???? When i get people come a buy pygmy hatchlings there already thinking of breeding, some people have no idea, like freakish says there asking how much will i make if i breed them.

I am the same i started about 4 years ago and didnt even think about breeding till now...Now its get into herps and then its im going to get straight into breeding...

I think it's not so much how many days/weeks/years after you get your first reptile.
That said, I still think that's a fair question.

I believe it comes down to

*Financially prepared, Tanks, Lights Food etc etc (Husbandry)
*Space availability
*Time availability/commitment
*Plenty of reading for info, Threads, Scientific Journals, Books etc etc
*Passion to do it

I'm sure there's more to add, but that's my take on it.
I got my first reptile 6 months ago and I'm starting to think about breeding maybe next year or maybe 2015.

I got my first and only rep (at present) at the beginning of 2012. I do want to eventually breed some pythons but not for some time yet. I like to get all my animals as babies including reptiles and grow up with them. Its always nice to watch them grow and it gives u a chance to learn their husbandry, individual behaviours etc. Its gonna be a good 3+ years before i breed anything. Breeding just adds to the experience.

I think it's not so much how many days/weeks/years after you get your first reptile.
That said, I still think that's a fair question.

I believe it comes down to

*Financially prepared, Tanks, Lights Food etc etc (Husbandry)
*Space availability
*Time availability/commitment
*Plenty of reading for info, Threads, Scientific Journals, Books etc etc
*Passion to do it

I'm sure there's more to add, but that's my take on it.
I got my first reptile 6 months ago and I'm starting to think about breeding maybe next year or maybe 2015.

Good point.

yeah i am all for what your saying dragondude, time frame wouldnt matter. The only thing that ticks me off people getting into this for some coin, by the time you weigh up electricity costs, feed, and time you wouldnt make money. The greatest thing is when they start to hatch and watch them grow before they go to new homes....money cant buy that...

Exactly man.
As much as money is a great motivator, if you're only doing it believing that you're going to make big bucks, then it might be something that might not last very long. Passion in my opinion is a must. : )

Well said dragondude, it's also got a lot to do with previous experience outside of keeping animals yourself and what contacts you have who can (and are willing to) offer advice and direction.

Theres a lot of factors to consider. For example I dont think it would be wise for a teenager to get an animal and think about breeding to soon although I know there are some successful young breeders out there. Teens can quickly lose interest in things and thier parents are left to pick up the pieces. I got my first snake in 2009 and bred my first clutch this year. I used to breed birds in my early twentys so I knew what sort of comittment it takes to Breed animals. I know of another guy who was a very successful bird breeder who made a pretty quick transition to snakes.
Horses for courses IMO.

The only thing that ticks me off people getting into this for some coin, by the time you weigh up electricity costs, feed, and time you wouldnt make money.

I get a bit over this argument, you cant tell me if you`re breeding albinos or GTP`s etc, you`re not making money. Maybe you`ll never make a living out of it but seriously, your time is free, and electricity and feed doesnt cost that much that your not gonna make money if your breeding the right snakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got our first snakes in 2011, and "got straight into breeding" that same year when we briefly housed our two "male" Stimson's together briefly due to an enclosure carking it and not having a spare immediately available. That failed dismally, as we were not prepared, nor did we know, well, anything at all, so when left to maternally incubate mumma abandoned all the eggs as the humidity was nowhere near adequate. I've learnt something from that experience: I won't be breeding for quite a while, if ever!!

I think a lot of people get into the hobby and think that since keeping snakes alive is not that difficult, breeding them must be easy too. And a lot of these people buy their first snake probably from a pet shop for a couple of hundred dollars and think they can easily make a bit of money by having a clutch, without realising that dirt-common snakes will command a dirt-cheap price and they will make about two fifths of stuff-all.
(Not that there's anything wrong with common snakes, none of mine are what I'd call "rare", or even "above-average", but I still love them dearly :p)

I am a strong believer against breeding an animal for the money. Most snakes are kept in tiny little plastic tubs and are just referred to as another option to get some severely imbred mutation happening. Half the time snake breeders have 100+ snakes in their garage, if it's not ok to see 100+ dogs in a garage how can it be nearly ok to see 100+ snake in their? I know it's off topic but just though I would put my opinion out their...

I am a strong believer against breeding an animal for the money. Most snakes are kept in tiny little plastic tubs and are just referred to as another option to get some severely imbred mutation happening. Half the time snake breeders have 100+ snakes in their garage, if it's not ok to see 100+ dogs in a garage how can it be nearly ok to see 100+ snake in their? I know it's off topic but just though I would put my opinion out their...

i think dogs and snakes are little different........

A lifetime of previous experience with other animals, living on farm, breeding show dogs and cats, caring for animals for the RSPCA (including some VERY strange and difficult animals, try nursing a stranded penguin on a rural farm in the middle of summer) , parents owning pet shops and being involved in that for years does count for something.
Having said that, I am going to try and breed my monitors next year. I had that in mind when I bought them recently, and paid extra to get the best I could find. I have 6 months to plan, have already done a lot of research, and still feel underprepared at this stage.

Im not doing it for money, and doubt there would be any real profit in it anyway.

The greatest problem for me at this stage is, although ive reseached heavilly, I still havnt been able to contact anyone that has bread my particular breed of monitors yet. So maybe my mistake( if any) was to pick something out of the ordinary to start breeding. Species specific information for some reps is still hard to come by.

IMHO as long as people do the research and go into it well prepared with the right attitude, they should be encouraged and assisted.

Last edited:
We all have to start somewhere, none of us were born as reptile keepers and or breeders. I've been keeping for nearly 4 years and whilst I would like to breed some animals I have neither the time nor space to do so. I don't think there is a time frame to consider it all comes down to preparedness. If you have the means and knowledge and assistance if need be then go for it but be prepared not to make money. Do it for the experience and the joy that it brings.

I have been keeping reptiles for about 5-6 years. I have only ever breed beardies, but I dont think I have ever made money. I just love the whole rewarding feeling you get when you see them hatch out of the egg. Then they start feeding. This year I am hoping to breed my ackies and northern velvets. While yes i might make a bit of money. Its not why I do it. I do it cos I love reptiles.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back