Heat mat question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TA1PAN

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i have a microclimate B1 dimming thermostat setup to a urs heat mat, when it reaches the set temp on thermostat the heat mat starts to buzz. I belive it is normal and will buzz because its not using full power. Can some one confirm this with me just incase? I will ring urs tomorrow just to double check, but would be great if some one else can confirm if this is normal or not. The heat mat is 20 watt and the thermostat can run minimum of 5 watt as stated on the packaging.

cheers

buzzing with anything electrical isn't good in my opinion.

The weird thing is When it is plugged into an on and off thermostat it does not buzz. Hence the reason I do belive when the thermostat dimms the mat this causes the buzzing. The dimming thermostat is defiantly not faulty as I previously used it on a another enclosure with a globe as the heating.

The weird thing is When it is plugged into an on and off thermostat it does not buzz. Hence the reason I do belive when the thermostat dimms the mat this causes the buzzing. The dimming thermostat is defiantly not faulty as I previously used it on a another enclosure with a globe as the heating.
Not really sure what is going on at this stage as I am not really familiar with these types of mats but it does sound strange that it buzzes. Sorry I am not more help, I will try and find out how these mats work and try to figure out what the buzzing could be.

Yeah thanks for your help, i am going to give urs a call in the morining as they sell these mats and thermostats so they should know a lot about them.

If they are meant to buzz when using a dimming thermostat I will tell Urs they should put it on the heat mat instructions so people know in future.

The only heat mat that I had that 'buzzed'... On an on/off thermostat, mind you. Was one of the 'green' types.
I'm pretty sure we've all heard the stories, be warned. Not saying it will happen to you. Just be VERY careful.

Are you sure it's the heatmat that is buzzing and not the controller? It's possible that the controller might buzz when it reaches the set temp as it tries to reduce supplied power. Although, such a buzz shouldn't be audible and it's possible some insulation or the like is missing from the controller. Heatmats are such simple things, just an element similar to the old stoves and has no moving parts. If there's is a bad/loose termination inside, the buzzing would be worse when it's receiving higher voltages as the higher voltage increases the chances or electrical arcing across the air gap. If it's not buzzing when the unit it supplying full power or when using an on/off type controller but does when it get to set temp, then something really weird is going on.

Ok I just spoke with urs over the phone and they said it is normal for the green urs heat mats to make a buzzing sound when connected to some dimming thermostats.

Ok I just spoke with urs over the phone and they said it is normal for the green urs heat mats to make a buzzing sound when connected to some dimming thermostats.
Did you ask them why this occurs?

Yeah i did it is Because it is not getting full power when using a dimming thermostat. Unlike on/off thermostats the heat mat is using full power.

Yeah i did it is Because it is not getting full power when using a dimming thermostat. Unlike on/off thermostats the heat mat is using full power.
Fair enough, I can't think of what part would be buzzing but if the manufacture said it is fine then it must be.

Yer I myself do think it is strange as well, but I guess they are wright because the heat mat is probably only using half the amount of power when dimmed. So like some like globes they slightly flicker when dimmed.

I have one green heat mat set up to a dimming thermo and since day one it has made that 'buzzing' sound. Haven't had a problem with it, appears to just be a normal function with those heat mats. Since buying that mat, I've only bought the black type, though still haven't had a problem with my green one and it is still in use.

I have one green heat mat set up to a dimming thermo and since day one it has made that 'buzzing' sound. Haven't had a problem with it, appears to just be a normal function with those heat mats. Since buying that mat, I've only bought the black type, though still haven't had a problem with my green one and it is still in use.

Sounds like I got a dud then. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back