Gravid / Ovulating Bredli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plissken

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm starting to think Maggot maybe up the duff. I know the photo's are not that great but it's the best I can get at present.

Background:
Until 6 weeks ago, she was housed in the same enclosure with a long term mate who the previous keepers tried several times to breed but with no success. They said that mostly they never even locked and on the two occassions when they did lock, nothing came of it. 6 weeks ago, they conceded defeat and split the two and put them up for sale. They have not been together since. It is around this time that she last shed.

I aquired her just over three weeks ago (18/01). She fed two days previous to me collecting her and poo'd the evening before I collected her. Previous owner had been feeding weekly and said she always has a strong feed instinct and never takes longer than 3 seconds to strike. He did say that sometimes she would go ten days.

Since then...
23/01 - Feed. 600g rat
28/01 - Poo
30/01 - Refused feed
01/02 - Refused feed
01/02 - Feed. 400g rat (would not strike. was very shy. had to leave it for her and go away before she ate it.)
11/02 - Refused feed

Why I think something is up:
She's been living with a mate.
The back end of her is massive.
She's lumpy. Difficult to see in these pictures. Will try and get better ones.
She is VERY sensitive to touch (which seems to be getting worse).
Seems very agitated.
Starting to lose interest in food.

I initially put the last three down to the move. All she has done since I got her is stay in the hide and only come out to drink and bask. I've been leaving her alone to try and settle her in. The last few day have been different though. She seems to be restless.

I hope I have given enough info for you breeders out there to try and make a judgement as I know the pics alone are not that informative.

These photo's were taken today. Thre are some more taken a couple of weeks ago in the bredli thread.

DSCF2518.jpg DSCF2520.jpg DSCF2521.jpg DSCF2522.jpg

Thanks.

Definately looks like she is ovulating. Looks like you have some eggs coming. Timing through me off for a second till I saw you are in England with reverse seasons to us. Congrats

Yes timing threw me off too. My big female will still feed right up to about 2 weeks before laying as well. Give her a box to nest in and see how you go. You may have hit the jackpot mate.
Well done (possibly).

Thanks for the input guys. Is there any way of me telling how far gone she is? I guess another 6 wks max? I've set up a nest box for her tonight. I'll see what happens.

Well, mine lays normally 28 days after her pre lay shed.....(so if and when she sheds)..and not a phantom pregnancy which has happened to me......that should give you a guide...(but only my experience, there are plenty of other bredli breeders on here....)

Any differing opinions on this or does everyone agree I need to get ready for an egg-fest?

I've put a nest box in with her. A bit bigger than her hides with extra height. I've put it towards the warm end, is this ok?

Also.. How long do Bredli take on average to go from ovulating to pre-lay shed? About the same as from shed to lay?

Thanks

Definitely prepare for an eggfest. It might come to nothing, but probably better to have everything ready just in case.

While I can't answer your other questions, Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons says that there is three to four weeks between ovulation and the pre-lay slough. The eggs come another 25 to 30 days after that.

What are you using as substrate in the nest box?

Definitely prepare for an eggfest. It might come to nothing, but probably better to have everything ready just in case.

While I can't answer your other questions, Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons says that there is three to four weeks between ovulation and the pre-lay slough. The eggs come another 25 to 30 days after that.

What are you using as substrate in the nest box?

Thanks for the info Renenet. I'm using peat as a nest box substrate. It's what I had to hand and what I remember using years ago. Is there something better I should be using? Also, is it neccessary for the nest box to be in with her yet or should I leave it out until after shed?

Thanks.

Can't be much help with your questions - I have yet to experience the thrill of breeding my own snakes - but maybe someone else can?

I hope it all goes well and you can eventually post pictures of eggs and then little Bredlis. :)

Well it's 6/7 weeks since my original post and I still cant decide if she is gravid or not. So I thought I would bump the thread with some more recent pictures (2 weeks ago, a couple of days after she shed) in case some breeders missed it when originally posted. More pictures from this batch can be seen in The Bredli Thread.

Update:
Almost three weeks ago she had what may or may not be a pre-lay shed
She still won't eat
She seems to be much more active (although this may just be because she has settled in).
I haven't seen her belly-up but I have seen her curling the end of her tail in odd ways
She isn't showing any interest in the nest box

BRDL_04_13_01.jpg BRDL_04_13_02.jpg

Maybe get a reptile vet advice. Have you got one around that can have a look

Do you mean to find out if she is Gravid or do you see something that worries you? Now I'm worried. Yes, I have a good herp vet close by.

Do you mean to find out if she is Gravid or do you see something that worries you? Now I'm worried. Yes, I have a good herp vet close by.

No it seems fine it's just a vet would be able to tell you a accurate answer instead of "looks gravid" or "wait if it lays eggs".

Phew!. Yeah, I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. I'm just being impatient. Well actually, I'm being a bit paranoid. A customer I met in a local herp shop reckons that having a first clutch at her age can lead to getting egg bound. The guy didnt seem particularly clued up so I have tried to put it to the back of my mind. I've never heard that, have you guys? If that is a possibility, It may be worth getting her scanned just to be sure. The trouble is that it is freezing here right now so I dont want to take her out unneccessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back