Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

77pinkbubbles77

Reaction score
Hello all

I have never had a pet snake before and are now considering one. I hold an eastern carpet python (2meters) at least three times a week for a wildlife presentation and have become almost obsessed with wanting to own one myself.

I have read articles that they are fantastic companions for sufferers of depression and I feel almost at peace when I hold the EC python. A friend of mine has Bredli yearlings and I would love some feed back on the breed and if yearlings are the right age.

I want something that I can handle a few times a week if not more that isn't 'bitey' so to speak as I believe some breeds are more prone to biting than others.

Where do I go to obtain the correct licences etc for owning a reptile and what are the costs I would be looking at. I have a creative mind so will be renovating some old furniture soon to make a safe yet querky environment for a snake.

I have loads of questions but now have a mind blank so any advice you can throw my way would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

I think a yearling Bredli is the perfect first Python. They are stunning to look at, docile when adults, love climbing and are very robust in terms of environmental changes. My favourite thing about them is their size. The PERFECT size for a python. Big enough to be impressive but not so big as to become a pain to handle such as Retics, Burms, Scrubs etc. No.. hang on. My favourite thing is the way they change colour. No.. hang on, my favourite thing is their head. No.. etc. etc.

Apply online for your license here https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/rwl/faces/jsp/login.jsp Generally, it is approved immediately and emailed to you. It's around $60 plus you need to get a record book which is $10-20 extra.

You could possibly go for a hatchling as any bites dont hurt anyway and the animal can get used to you as it grows. Regular handling will help reduce the chances of biting. You must allow them to settle into their new environment when you get it home for a week or two before handling also.

I dont own a Bredli so i can't attest to their temperament etc but, from what i have heard, they are a great first snake, quite hardy and have good temperaments and have that gorgeous red colour also. Have a read through http://www.sxr.com.au/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf to get an idea of each breed and decide which one might suit your needs.

Hi there, i read that you can get a yearling "Bredli" can i please advise against getting a yearling "Bredli" as your 1st snake, not withstanding the fact every Python has it's own personality you run the risk it has not had a lot of handling and could be prone to biting anything that moves. My Nephew got a yearling "Bredli" from a breeder in QLD and right from day 1 it proved to be an out of control chainsaw, even now it is over 2 years old and is the spawn of satan, my suggestion would be to get a hatchling of whatever it is that takes your fancy i.e "Murry Darling CP" "Darwin CP" or "Coastal CP" if you want a 1st snake that is relatively easy to look after and does not grow too big you cannot go past the "Anteresia's" i.e the Childreni, Stimsoni or Maculosa. There are many many very inteligent people on this forum that have been in the game a lot longer than me who could give you even better information than me, you would do well to heed their advice if you want a long and enjoyable relationship with your Python......................Ron

I have a 2 year bredli she is a great looking snake but her name is Mcnasty for good reason, she is truly a handful to manage , first time out i would try one of the smaller breeds , just my opinion, good luck with what ever you get , a sanke is an amazing pet to own

If you can handle an eastern CP aka coastal (Morelia spilota mcdowelli) confidently, then a bredli shouldn't phase you. It is normally better to start with a hatchling as then you can learn and grow together. It is much better to make a mistake and get bitten by a cute little baby than cranky yearling. It is also a good way to ensure they have had a good start to life, food, hygiene and handling wise.

I started off with a 2 year old woma python and while he is a perfect gentleman and excellent first snake who has only bitten me once (my own fault), it was a huge learning curve. Plus while I love him and he is still my favourite, I am really enjoying having my little hatchling. There is something quite amazing watching them grow from a little worm to a chunky, little python.

Welcome to the forum pink bubbles. Well u have certainly have the right attitude to begin with and that is wanting to learn and gain as much experience beforehand. A very invaluable lesson.

Continue to research your subject, in particular the breed/species u wish to keep and that will stand u in good stead down the track.

There are some fantastic forum members on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience and u won't get your head bitten off for asking.

Criticism is normally leveled at those who think they know it all and are the first ones asking why their snake isn't eating or has a respiratory infection or some kind of husbandry ailment.

Good luck with your projects, u will become hooked.

i have 2 , 2 year old bredli they are manzing snakes to look at, as others have said they can be a handfull, mine didnt get much handling before i got them 6 months ago and were very snappy, they have calmed down now a bit but has taken a lot of handling but they can still be snappy, my male has just shed so i havent handled him in 2 weeks and when i got him out yesterday, for some reason while i was handleing him he snapped at me but thankfully missed. They are a very impressive looking snake

Ron the thing to take into account here is that it is a friend who has the yearlings so the OP could go handle them and find one with a good temperament that they really like and feel confident with. A yearling is a great place to start as they are proven eaters and are already quite robust etc. Plenty of people on here have posted about what lovely Bredli they have and like any snake you can get one that is a bit snakey and not so docile.

I always get hatchies. It's great to watch them grow. Good bond all round. You wont find much more placid than an alb darwin imo.

Welcome. Bredli's would make a great first snake especially if you get it from a hatchy. Generally, very docile. They get fairly big, but they don't grow overnight. Good luck

Ron the thing to take into account here is that it is a friend who has the yearlings so the OP could go handle them and find one with a good temperament that they really like and feel confident with. A yearling is a great place to start as they are proven eaters and are already quite robust etc. Plenty of people on here have posted about what lovely Bredli they have and like any snake you can get one that is a bit snakey and not so docile.

Thanks "Gruni" i must have read the OP's post a little to quickly as i did not see the "Friend" part, so i retract my position if the friends yearlings are handled regularly and are proven non biters.........................................Ron

Ron I wasn't having a dig, I fully understood where you were coming from and thought you may have overlooked the fact that the OP had access to these snakes to ensure they got a nice one. I was a bit under the gun when I posted so it may have come off as a bit pointed, sorry.

I have 2 bredli, our male was a baby when we got him and hes gentle and really loves being handled and let run around. My female I got when she was about 8 months, she was very snappy and skitzed out everytime you went near her. She has calmed down now. She is as laid back as my boy and loves being handled too. As for the bite, she has bitten me once and she was as shocked as I was, and has never done it since. It doesnt hurt so dont be scared. Bredli are a great choice.

No probs "Gruni" no need to be sorry, i was not offended at all, just appreciated the fact you brought that little fact to my attention................................Ron

My brother in law bought a 3 year old Bredli that was supposed to be very gentle and never bitten, when he turned up to view the snake although very nice looking was a bit jumpy and latched onto his face. The silly part was he still bought it and it was a handful until the day he sold the problem on. My opinion on getting a snake is don't buy out of convince because you will end up with a snake that isn't your dream snake. Do a lot of research on colours patterns sizes and temperament an then decide what snake is best for you, once you have decided I would then search out a hatchling so you can watch it grow and hone your skills . Saying that if a Bredli is what you really want I would consider one of the yearlings available to you.

At my nephews birthday party i saw a group of 6yr olds pass around 4 juvenile bredlii as they crawled between their hands and fingers. These were demonstration animals and obviously handled regularly but no one was bitten, so my advice is if you like the look of them get one and handle it regularly and hopefully it becomes a nice placid animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back