What camera to get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bohdi13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to get into reptile and other animal photography. I have been told a good entry level camera with a twin lense kit (18-55mm & 70-300mm) is a Nikon D3100 but I want to know what I would be best off getting.

Here are some things to take into consideration;
Budget of $650
want to take amazing pictures
focussing on macro shots
Want to do panoramic shots

Hope someone can help me understand the basics of what I need and I understand that great photography requires great patience and practice.

Bohdi.

got my d5100 with the 18-55mm lense and a 16gb sd card for $607 at jb hifi 2 weeks ago while they had a sale on(SA). D3100 is a good starter camera but I went with the 5100 for some better features and not much more of a cost and it seems its within your budget so I'd suggest it.

Simple advice that I offer to people that want to have sharp, high quality images using a DSLR that have a limited budget.

It's all about the glass (lens)
Spend most of the $ on lens, not the body.
Maybe purchase a 2nd hand DSLR body to save $ and use the leftover for a good piece of glass.
In your case, it's already narrowed down.
Macro lens.

That's just my take on it.
Remember one thing, they will always update and release a new DSLR body that has 'new' features etc etc every year.
That's not the case with high end lenses.
My lense that cost me $1500, five years ago still cost the same and kicks butt whichever DSLR body you attach it to.

Camera and kit lenses deals are great for those that want to start off in general photography etc etc
But since you have an idea what you want to take photos of, I suggest you skip the lense kit path and focus on getting a macro lens.
It will save you time and money in the long run.
That's just my take on it.

I am not creative at all in photography and don't plan to be, I just want to take and have high quality images of my family, pets and holidays.
:)
Hope that helps a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a D3100, thopugh I got a few lenses from my father. They are all old school manual lenses, which I enjoy as it means I have to learn more about aperture and focal range. like Dragondude stated, it really does come down to lens. Do your research into lenses to find what is right for you and don't be afraid to drop a decent amount of cash on a good lens as it will make a difference. The next lens I am getting is the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G. Great lens for the price. I currently use the basic 18-55mm lens and it does what I need as I shoot everything in RAW format and then run everything through Lightroom as post production.

Thanks for your replies, looking at a Nikon D5100 with an 18-55mm lens that is local and is up for $475 :) considering it but I'm not sure as I am buying another snake soon and I would rather gather abit more money and learn what I should be looking for. How much should I be expecting to pay for a good macro lens?

Thanks for your replies, looking at a Nikon D5100 with an 18-55mm lens that is local and is up for $475 :) considering it but I'm not sure as I am buying another snake soon and I would rather gather abit more money and learn what I should be looking for. How much should I be expecting to pay for a good macro lens?

Honestly the D5100 is not worth it, for around $500 you can get the D3100 with a single lens. Last time a friend ask for my opinion I told him to get the D3200 as it has nearly 10 more megapixels and only costs about an extra $100. He is more then happy with it.

Though, if you don't want to go over $500 then the D3100 single lens kit is worth it. Beats the Canon 1100D for the same price and Nikon has some great lens that are on the DX range (fits the D3100) and you can even get a adapter ring if you really want to get a canon lens ( I prefer nikon lens anyway)

As for the macro lens, it depends, for a Great one, you will be looking at around $1000+ and for a GOOD one about $600+
I have a manual macro lens that I use with extension ring, though everything that is slightly ( and I mean slightly) out of focal range is out of focus. Still plan to drop $1000+ on a good macro lens and at least $500 on a good telephoto lens.

Last edited:
If i had my time again i wouldnt go down the kit lens road. I have just helped a friend to get a new DSLR, ended up getting a Canon 650D and a 15-85mm lens. He's not into wildlife photography, just travel. But i reckon your better off getting a lens like this to start, much better quality and still has a reasonable focal range. Macro shots aren't to difficult with it and with the high megapixels these days you just crop anything. Also its nice and wide for landscapes and panorama's. Im not familiar with nikon but im sure there are similar lenses. Most entry level DSLR's have the same image processor and your usually only paying for little useless extras with the higher end entry levels (if that makes sense?)

If you are looking for a good entry level DSLR it is hard to go past the Nikon range, an example of which i will put here with the price but will PM you the site so i don't get in trouble, here is the Camera : Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm Twin VR Lens Kit $579, pretty damn cheap i reckon................................................Ron

One issue to be aware of with some of the cheap deals is that a lot of them are parallel imports or 'grey market' cameras. This means that the manufacturer is not obligated to supply warranty service and usually won't. Warranties are therefore offered by the seller and it can be very difficult and take months to get them to honour it or you can get international warranty an additional cost.

One issue to be aware of with some of the cheap deals is that a lot of them are parallel imports or 'grey market' cameras. This means that the manufacturer is not obligated to supply warranty service and usually won't. Warranties are therefore offered by the seller and it can be very difficult and take months to get them to honour it or you can get international warranty an additional cost.

Like the eBay ones ?

I like the idea of Nikon cameras but I would like to get a bit more of an intermediate camera and am planning on buying a canon body and a good macro lens, also an appropriate lens that would suit normal but full body shots of reptiles. I was away Easter weekend in SA and was using my aunties Nikon ______ (something expensive) and I found my way on to taking pretty good photos of a lot of things, birds and plants mainly. I will only get better with practice and am confident In buying a decent camera and I will learn what needs to be learnt.

It is all so confusing and there are so man options, thanks heeps ronhalling really appreciate the link you sent me. Looks like I will buy from there.

Bohdi.

Like the eBay ones ?

Most of them yes, and a lot of the online stores such as Camera Paradise, DWI, Crazy sales and many others including the store linked by Tassie. Obviously this only becomes an issue IF the item is faulty.

Last edited:
Go a Canon SLR , they take such a wicked photo , fantastic quality lens and tough to , parts easy to come buy and arnt overally $$$$ , just bought one , replacing my NIkon and the Can kicks butt

Last edited by a moderator:
Food for thought:

Something that many older nikon cameras have that canon don't: Nikon Creative Lighting Systems (CLS).

Why's it important?

It allows the user to wirelessly control and trigger slave flashes using the pre-flash. Plenty of after market flashes will do this too, but they struggle in daylight and the cycle time usually sucks.

Why do I want multiple flashes?

Multiple flashes removes or softens the harsh shadows making a much better image. Some people don't care, but anyone who's a bit serious about this sort of stuff has multiple flashes (speedlights or macro flashes).

So, unless you're buying a Canon 7D, you won't be able to benefit from this if you're picking up lower end or older Canon cameras.

Nikon D90 is pretty cheap on gumtree. It was a great camera then, it's a great camera now.
Nikon D300 is a great camera. I've been using one for years (recently got a D800).

for example:
Nikon D300 DSLR body + 2 Nikkor lenses: 18-70mm & 55-200mm | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Inner Sydney - Newtown

anyway, just my two cents. Check out my latest thread if you feel the need to check that I can actually take a photo :)

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...5373/2012-year-review-warning-massive-201228/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back