Is this rat anything fancy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm not really up on my rat morph genetics but I think I've seen pictures of this before and I was just wondering if the rodent aficionados could tell me what (if anything) it is. His brothers and sisters are all basically the same but without the white stripe down the face.
IMG_1245.jpgIMG_1246.jpg

Cool thanks Gird. Is it a genetic thing or do some hoodeds just turn out like this? I'm not interested in monetary value or anything. I just love genetics and it might be fun to play around to see what I can get

Recessive

blaze has often wrongly been believed to be recessive, presumably because so often there are W* rats without face markings which produce babies with strong blazes including wedge-blazes. Breeding trials have shown that Ww rats have around the same chance of being blazed as WW rats, so while the trait is not always clearly expressed, two copies of the W allele don't appreciably increase the expression, so it is more appropriately called a dominant. I have bred a blaze to a normal Berkshire that does not carry blaze gene at all and produced 3 blazes, so defiantly not recessive

Last edited:
so do the striped ones get eaten faster? you know racing stripes and all :p. is it possible that it's a multi gene trait? could always find out by doing crosses ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back