Fairly urgent question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_chap

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an absolute beginner question but would like some peace of mind. I've got a 5 watt heat Matt under my beardys cage, on a wooden tv cabinet. Does it pose any fire risk? It's the only apliance in that socket. A swift reply would be much appreciated, cheers!!

I've always had them placed on a fire proof material if not used with a thermostat such as an old bathroom tile. Personally although 5w is very unlikely to cause any damage even if it overheated I would be turning it off tonight unless it has a thermostat and covering beardy tank with a heavy blanket.

Should be fine, its only 5 watt. Most gaming consoles get hotter, dvd players and the like get hotter. You shouldn't need it on overnight but you can run it in a thermostat if you get worried.

Hey there, i see no problems. I have a 7W one for my snake on 24/7 on top of wood. It only gets warm no where near hot enough to burn through wood.

Just curious also, this isn't the only heat source for the beardys right?

As you guys have said its only a 5watt heat mat and that they don't heat up to much i had one the melted and burnt a hole in the bottom of the click clack and start to burn the melamine enclosure that i had it sitting on ever since i have used heat cords it worried me to much and i could never trust one again

Caleb.

Not that new mate, it's just my night time heat. The temperature at the moment hovers around the mid 10s, heard alot of different things about night time heatig for pygmy beardies?

As you guys have said its only a 5watt heat mat and that they don't heat up to much i had one the melted and burnt a hole in the bottom of the click clack and start to burn the melamine enclosure that i had it sitting on ever since i have used heat cords it worried me to much and i could never trust one again

Caleb.

Yes this^
I have a 5W that gets over 50C without a thermostat.

Well timber ignites at around 250℃ so I don't think the tv unit is at risk of igniting from the heat being generated. Possibly it could melt and ignite the plastic then causing the timber to melt. Chances are slim IMO though however small the chance its still a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back