What am i doing wrong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so i needed to knock up a growing on rack and temp home for me stimis till i finish enclosures (when i get started lol)..so instead of 1 cord i ran double on each rack thinking she be right...but cant get temps up....just checked and the hot end off tub has just reached 31.5 with a ambient room temp off 25......but earlier this morn the tubs were down to 25 due to the room getting cold at night (tho not that cold)....using a 6mm reptile one 7.5m 60w cord.....i havent even put thermostat on yet as running it flat out the actual temp of the cord fluctuates from 35 to 42 ish but still the warm end of the tubs dont make the desired 33........any help be appreciated....or im guna take apart and router double slots and double up on me cord(but trying to avoid that)
Ta
PeteView attachment 287930View attachment 287931View attachment 287932

Get some sarking from bunnings and staple it around the back and sides which should help a fair bit.Or if you don't like the look of that you could line the sides and back with thin ply.Also make sure you you put the rack against an internal wall,not an external one.

Would it help transfer the heat from the cord to the tub if you put that silver tape over the heat cords?

Are the centre of the tubs raised a little? I guess this may effect it a little.

I use a heat mat and it doesn't heat up my little stimmis enclosure to 34. So I have a rock hide that keeps the heat very well, and being nocturnal, thats where he is during the day. (I have the stat probe in the hide...

We use 80w cords as anything less wont cope with night drops, We maintain a constant 34dg on the hatchie and yearling racks even when the room temp drops to 12dg overnight.

The difference in wattage of cord shouldn't effect the capability of heating.
As the cord is rated by watts per metre.

So that said, if his cord grooves were closer together the ability to hold heat would be greater.
Also what Ramsayi said earlier, a lot of heat is escaping due to the lack of sides.
Go grab some thin ply and block out the back and 1/4 of the sides and you will hold heat much better.

The difference in wattage of cord shouldn't effect the capability of heating.
As the cord is rated by watts per metre.

So that said, if his cord grooves were closer together the ability to hold heat would be greater.
Also what Ramsayi said earlier, a lot of heat is escaping due to the lack of sides.
Go grab some thin ply and block out the back and 1/4 of the sides and you will hold heat much better.
Prob is it kinda defeats the object of being slightly adjustable.... I take it u have minimal gap at top of tubs but letting them sled easy... Think mine r abit tight.... So I either block side and back or run an extra cord

I recently brought one of those black cords as that was all they had , they are crap ... get your self a good old grey 80w cord , fill the sides of the rack too.

Hey mate. I just made a rack 2.4 metres long out of melamine. Holds 3 shelves with 7 x 18 litre willow brand tubs( 21 tubs) and 3 closer spaced shelves which each holds 9 x 7 litre sistema click clacks. I use 9 metre 80 watt heat cord in 4 routed groves at the back. I have placed ceramic floor tiles on all the shelves and am using a thermostat and have no trouble and could maintain temps as high as the 38 degrees obtained during the test phase before introducing any of the serpents. the tiles seem to hold the heat well and tend to radiate it a bit better. Give the tiles a go. Hope you get it sorted

I recently brought one of those black cords as that was all they had , they are crap ... get your self a good old grey 80w cord , fill the sides of the rack too.
I got an 80w 9m off eBay and its just the same.... Ill close back and aides and that should cure it..... If not ill take apart and run 2 cords next to each other .... Thanks for all the info people...
Ta
Pete

Get some 3mm white board from bunnings or 5mm core flute , both work well for holding in the heat and are cheap options.

Get some 3mm white board from bunnings or 5mm core flute , both work well for holding in the heat and are cheap options.
Think I got enough off cuts from my last enclosure build.... Lol it's sitting in garage collecting dust..... Ill give it a go before buying anuva cord... Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back