Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain04

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
So here is the question for this week. I have a children's python and a woma python.
Now I try and handle them as much as possible, try and bring them up right and all. The woma is a little angel, the childrens not so much, but I love them any ways.
I guess what i really want to know is what is the protocol for handling multiple snakes? Can I get them out together?
one at a time? wash up between handlings? What should I be doing with them.
As always any advice is welcome.
Cheers
Cain

Last edited by a moderator:
Well woma's are reptile eaters, so there's always a risk. Is there any reason you want them out together?

Not that I have any snakes and just taking a stab in the dark but I wouldn't get them out at the same time incase they fight and I would also wash my hands between holding one of them goin to the other but correct me if I'm wrong

Well personally I quarantine new snakes. One at a time when handling. Wash in between snakes.
This is just what I do, I also only own 6 snakes so washing between handling is not that big of a deal but for the people that have a massive collection, I am sure they can give you more.

Many people get multiple snakes ok at one time but as pointed out the woma may want to eat the children's so not the best idea. I also only like to get one out at a time so it has my full attention and always wash my hands between snakes just in case. I also don't get hatchys out very often because I think they will feel vulnerable out in the open.

Thanks guys. I do only get one out at a time and wash between handlings, was just wanting to get a feel for if it was needed. Never knew about the woma liking reptiles so that's something new learnt today.

I have 3, a MD, a jungle and a spotted, I only ever get out 1 at a time and always wash between handling

I find it really wierd you didn't know Womas where reptile eaters, if you did any research into Womas (which you should have done before purchasing the animal) you would have known that.

Not having a go at you, it just surprises me how many people are purchasing animals without looking into the animal there buying.

Well personally I quarantine new snakes. One at a time when handling. Wash in between snakes.
This is just what I do, I also only own 6 snakes so washing between handling is not that big of a deal but for the people that have a massive collection, I am sure they can give you more.

+1
Key word 'quarantine'

I find it really wierd you didn't know Womas where reptile eaters, if you did any research into Womas (which you should have done before purchasing the animal) you would have known that.

Not having a go at you, it just surprises me how many people are purchasing animals without looking into the animal there buying.

Thank you for your insight. I did do my research, but I like to think that my few weeks reading up online on my new reptile wont make me an expert and im sure there is much more to learn. I appreciate that im not an expert on the subject, and only have the base knowledge of how to keep them alive and comfortable. Hence the reason I called upon your vast reservoir of knowledge. Im glad to see that my learning to keep them separate and not setting up play dates was enough to ensure that my ignorance did not lead to catastrophic consequences.

Both Aspidites, Woma and Blackheaded, are considered old world pythons and their prefered diet are other snakes as well as reptiles in general. It was one of the first facts I picked up about these stunning snakes and part of their appeal in an odd way that makes me want to have one.

Thanks guys. I do only get one out at a time and wash between handlings, was just wanting to get a feel for if it was needed. Never knew about the woma liking reptiles so that's something new learnt today.

Knowing that the aspidities genus (Womas and black heads) are reptile eaters, is pretty important. I'm surprised you managed to miss that piece of info. Their whole feeding regime should be based on this fact or they will likely die of fatty liver disease or fat deposits around the heart. I can't stress enough how important it is that people research before buying an animal.

Knowing that the aspidities genus (Womas and black heads) are reptile eaters, is pretty important. I'm surprised you managed to miss that piece of info. Their whole feeding regime should be based on this fact or they will likely die of fatty liver disease or fat deposits around the heart. I can't stress enough how important it is that people research before buying an animal.

So you telling me that my woma is probably gonna die cause I didn't know its a reptile eater, when before buying her I asked about fussy eating womas and all the responses were that I should get him feeding on rats. Now im not a genius by no stretch of the imagination but rodents and reptiles to me are two completely different things. So should my woma be eating rats as first I thought or should I be looking into a lizard/snake feed? You guys keep saying people should do their research, but when we do the answers we get seem to be all over the place.

Take a little moment to chill Cain, in nature their diet is reptiles and there is a lot of debate re: substitute captive diet. The key as I understand it is to avoid 'overly fatty' rats as it is the low fat content of their natural diet that you are trying to mimmick. Posts come across a bit blunt online and you will need broad shoulders at times, it is a bit surprising that you missed that bit of species info but it is hardly a stoning offense.

How about shooting up a pic of your two snakes? How old are they and how long have you had them?

water pythons and some olives will also have a go at other smaller snakes

lots to learn
but all is great fun

If you stick to medium or very lean large rats and don't overfeed you will be fine. Womas should be like rounded triangles in cross section as opposed to circles if you get what I mean. If the look like there tail has been stuck on the end as an after thought and you can't detect any muscle definition then your feeding too much. if they look sleek and tapering at the end your doing ok.

captive womas and blackheads do well on rats, mice, quail and chicken but its knowing they are more prone to get fatty liver disease than other reptiles is very important. never over feed a woma or BHP.

also never let a woma or BHP out at the same times as any other reptile as they may try to eat them.

they sell F-10 wipes which i find easier with a large collection, insted of constantly washing my hands i use the wipes, but for any animal in quarantine i have F-10 hand wash and always use it.

Last edited:
Hi. i have a 2yr old Stimson and 4.5yr old Woma and although the Woma is the most docile and sweet snake you could wish for i would never trust her not to want to eat the other just because of her size and quest for more food. Whilst i have had them both out at the same time as they can be out for hours they both have their favorite places they like to hang out or cruise around i dont want to take the chance of anything bad happening if they ever met and i dont feel they really need play dates :)
i am sure you will have a great deal of fun with both and you can never be too clean or cautious and i find it is a constant learning process with owning snakes

So you telling me that my woma is probably gonna die cause I didn't know its a reptile eater, when before buying her I asked about fussy eating womas and all the responses were that I should get him feeding on rats. Now im not a genius by no stretch of the imagination but rodents and reptiles to me are two completely different things. So should my woma be eating rats as first I thought or should I be looking into a lizard/snake feed? You guys keep saying people should do their research, but when we do the answers we get seem to be all over the place.
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/woma_lr.pdf

have a good read of that link it will help your keeping of this species immensely i still refer back to every now and then and have it saved as a little file on my desktop :) , it goes into the authors experience with fatty liver disease , it is something you probably should have a fair idea on if you are going to keep womas or bhp , and yes it is believed to be related to them being reptile eaters so it is a good idea to exersice caution when it comes to having them near or with other reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back