Cats: loveable pets or natural born killers. ERADICAT Tonight on SBS 8.30

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On this, we have 3 cats. ALL three stay inside but they have a large front decking area plus a cat cage to supposedly be "outside". For one, I don't want them getting run over and more importantly chasing and killing our precious wildlife.

It's a no brainer for us.

The answer is 'both'.. they're not mutually exclusive. Dogs are naturally born killers and loveable pets too (ie carnivores)

Most cats that wander off will survive
they are most definitely natural born killers
They are too like humans
Kill for fun as much or more than for food

Some few are kept house bound but that will be a low percentage

Actually, I'm not aware of anything that kills for fun like humans do... The reason cats kill things and bring them into the house is actually a behaviour that has been studied quite closely. They believe that the behaviour they are demonstrating is the same as what a mother would do for her kittens. In other words, your cats are bringing you dinner. Ever wonder why they see fit to bring in a rabbit or a rat (or a bird) and release it still alive into the house? Well they have decided its time for you to learn to hunt.

Cause people feed them that stuff. In the wild you don't see wolves eating berries.

Exactly.
I have had customers come into the store and because they are vegetarian so are their dogs......

Exactly.
I have had customers come into the store and because they are vegetarian so are their dogs......

Thats horrible. Wonder how long their dog survived hey? wouldn't be surprised if it decided to take a chunk out of her leg...

Reptiles kill too. Cats are damaging to the native wildlife too though. At least reptiles get rid of insects and pest animals. In saying this, I have always had cats and have one now. I love him to bits. It is of course in the animals nature to kill because that was how they were created. Humans have caused the problems by not accepting this fact that they kill or not giving a toss about the effects. I love cats but they certainly need to be contained as our wildlife is native and don't want to discriminate but deserve the land more than us. Same goes for the aboriginals. As long as we respect that its their land and don't go killing it and building monstrosities, we should all be able to live together peacefully.

And to people who say simply "cats are disgusting killers and I run them over when I see them" (I've seen similar comments before) you're no better than those who kill reptiles. We brought them here. And they make excellent companions. ;)

Cause people feed them that stuff. In the wild you don't see wolves eating berries.
Dogs are not true carnivores as they require the vegetable matter in their preys stomach to remain healthy, well that's what I heard a qualified person on the radio say.

Dogs are not true carnivores as they require the vegetable matter in their preys stomach to remain healthy, well that's what I heard a qualified person on the radio say.

Does that make all carnivores who eat omnivores/vegetarians not full carnivores if their prey have consumed vegetable matter?

Vegetarian dogs that is a load of rubbish they are omnivores and should be feed meat aswell as veg my dogs eat grass when they need more veg in there diet any one that only feeds Veg or salad to dogs should be reported for animal cruelty

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
No as dogs NEED the vegetable matter to stay healthy compared to true carnivores that don't.

Cats are great pets:) But a huge threat to our wildlife! Reptalica is the only one that has it 100% right.... have cats as pets, but be responsible:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats horrible. Wonder how long their dog survived hey? wouldn't be surprised if it decided to take a chunk out of her leg...

From what I know people like that will feed their dogs soy and things like that. Personally I don't think it's ideal for the dog but providing it gets the nutrients it needs there is nothing I can really say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back