Getting aggresive diamond python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckoman1985

Reaction score
Hi guys I might be getting a 7foot diamond that was a rescue. I will be buying it from sofar who I have just joined. I have meny years working with reptiles including ones that bite I don't care about being bitten I just what to know what are my chances for getting it to calm down. I have done this meny times with other people's reptiles and my own over the years. I know about leavening them to settle in when you first get them. This one seem good after a feed and was told after about two days would not be able to handle it.To me there are a few reasons it might be aggressive 1.it is scared and there for using it's flight or fight response. 2. It's cage defensive. 3. It was no handled when young from it previous owner. 4 I things its about to get food. All these things I have seen and have had been able to get then to handle and not get bitten.so here was my plan first work out witch one of the above behaviours it was doing if was just scared of humans then regular short handling times has worked for me before I know there are sings of this like them tensing up on your approach and rapped flicks of the toung. I have found that sitting quietly with them in pillow case has worked really good for letting them know you aren't going to heart them but they were a lot smaller and younger then the one I am getting I if this is the case I hope the same thing will work with it. If it was cage defensive I would try to pick it up with bear hands and feed it out side the enclosure it seems to work really well for pythons that are small but I was wondering if it would work on much older and larger snakes as well. I have all ways feed mine on the lawn when ever possible so that they don't think I got food for them every time I put my hand in there enclosure feeding the one I have have never had issue with feeding on the lawn.i really hope I can get it to handle with out it biting me to meny times it dose not heart me much as I have very high pain freshold due to other medical reasons witch I won't go in to. I have a lot of time and want to give this rescue a good life just like the several that I've raised before. I am a little concerned about how strong it's coils might be as I'm only a small build and had a bit of trouble before with getting one arm tied up with a 6 1/2foot bredli that thought my hand was food lol I did smell of the freshly there'd rats I just fed her tho. What do you guys think I will keep you posted on any thing I decide to do with this reptile. You know there behaviour around man has interested my for meny years.

only bite for two reasons
food or fear
wrapping means food= agressive
tagging open mouth means fear =defensive

i always use a cloth to lift out any of my snakes
doesnt seem to scare the defensive ones

pillowcase method is an excellent way even with bigger snakes

Yeh thx I not scared at all of getting bitten I hope to sort and show the people of the sofar group that I have reasonable experience as I'm only new to them all tho well known back in qld were I was from . I think a challenge like this make the hobby more interesting to me and who knows we all might learn something new about how thay behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back