Suddenly cranky jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphine_de_Sade

Reaction score
I've just rejoined this forum after meaning to for ages but while i'm here I have a query. My 5yo, 6ft, female B+g jungle has just today started yawning, hissing and rubbing her mouth against the edge of her tank at really awkward angles (shes playing contortionist) and I'm not sure why. I wouldn't call her placid but she's normally able to be handled alright but today she's hissed and yawned 5 times each in a space of 10 minutes and she's definitely angry about something but the movement of my partner and I didn't seem to bother her specifically. it's like she's angry at nothing. It doesn't seem to be respiration but definite hissing, big 'yawns' in between and a lot of rubbing against the fairly smooth roof of her tank. No mites present and shes not due to shed or feed yet. She's in the room where my partner keeps his pc and after his laptop being damaged a few days ago he has spent a lot more time in the room during the day and evening. could something as simple as a change of routine in her environment be bothering her?

Sounds to me like she is due to shed.
They rum their nose on things in their environment to loosen the old skin.
Their eyes well get a white/blue tinge to it and this impacts your snakes vision making them more likely to snap at any movement as they can't see what it is.
Best to let your snake be, make sure the humidity is high enough and hold feelings till after it has shed.

Edit: Sorry I only skimmed the OP, but re-read it now and noticed she isn't due for a shed, however something could still be irritating her skin like low humidity.

These are only my thoughts so correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
She only shed last week and she definitely doesnt have clouding over her eyes so I thought i'd best check. I've never seen that sudden a change in temprement. she's also very active but not responding much to anything specific just really seems to be grumpy at thin air lol. ill keep an eye on her over the next few days though and see how she goes. hopefully she is just having a bad day... we all have those.

my poor partners scared to sit near her now... he's still getting used to them and having this one hissing so much isnt making him feel very comfortable lol

Just a thought she hasn't got something lodged in her jaw has she maybe a piece of substrate?

i'll try to check. She's only on paper so I doubt it would be substrate but in a house with cats as well it may be worth a look :) wouldn't be the first time i've been tagged looking in a pythons mouth. she'd be the smallest iv'e had to do it with in fact lol

My jungle bit me for the first time the other night.

Normally when he/she is in shed I will get hissed at and warned off. This time I got no warning though, just bam and I was tagged once or twice.
I put it downeing hungry or scared/I just had my hand in the wrong place.

I was messing around in the hide trying to get the thermostat probe sitting still. Always gets knocked out of the hide.

So I'd say it was the fact there was this big hand coming at him/her and didn't have any where to go so a bite was the last resort. Still strange I got no hiss/warning though.

Could of also been hunger though as I had to feed two smaller meals this time around rather than one large meal.

Hope this gives you some idea.
Cheers. Toby.

Edit: My MD also bit me once out of no where and to this day I have no idea why. She hasn't done it since either. Probably hunger though. Had to feed smaller items around that time too. From what j remember. At the time she was cruising her enclosure though. So I doubt she was scared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back