can you keep pythons together in one tank?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womagaunt

Reaction score
just wanted to know if i got another woma python, would i be able to house it with my other one? cheers WomaG :)

Of course you can no one will stop you. One may eat the other though.

haha thanks, but is there much chance of one eating the other? if they are the same size and age? :)

Most species the risk is very low, but woma's are reptile eaters. I've kept numerous morelia and antaresia together with no dramas but I wouldn't risk woma's or BHPs except for breeding purposes.

Womas are well known for cannibalism.

Womas are well known for cannibalism.
alright thats a no haha thanks mate :)

Most species the risk is very low, but woma's are reptile eaters. I've kept numerous morelia and antaresia together with no dramas but I wouldn't risk woma's or BHPs except for breeding purposes.
alright thats a no haha thanks mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
haha thanks, but is there much chance of one eating the other? if they are the same size and age? :)
heaps of threads on this , hate to be 'that' guy but yea have a little search , if the search function here doesnt work , just type in "keeping 2 womas together " or something like it followed by aussie pythons , that should bring up more threads

but out of all the species of snakes we have here in australia , the aspidites genus is probably one of , if not the worse to keep together due to there wild diet consisting mainly of reptiles
same size and age etc doesnt mean crap imo look through the "antaresia freaks thread" there pics in there of two stimmis , same size etc but one half way down the throat of the other , they can do it

but as said its up to you if you do it , just be aware of the consequences and know that it can happen , personally id be to scared that that murphy guy and his little law would kick into action

heaps of threads on this , hate to be 'that' guy but yea have a little search , if the search function here doesnt work , just type in "keeping 2 womas together " or something like it followed by aussie pythons , that should bring up more threads

but out of all the species of snakes we have here in australia , the aspidites genus is probably one of , if not the worse to keep together due to there wild diet consisting mainly of reptiles
same size and age etc doesnt mean crap imo look through the "antaresia freaks thread" there pics in there of two stimmis , same size etc but one half way down the throat of the other , they can do it

but as said its up to you if you do it , just be aware of the consequences and know that it can happen , personally id be to scared that that murphy guy and his little law would kick into action
hahaha yeah thanks mate, if i get another it will defiantly not be housed with the other haha :)

It's been done some people always houses pairs together some people don't... Do your own research and make up your own mind instead of just following the "experts"

Would NOT advise it. Keep em separate unless breeding - then obviously they have to be put together at intervals.

Womas also eat other womas. They have a mostly reptile diet in the wild. You may feed them and end up with just the one snake soon after. Womas are voracious feeders. Mine would probably try to eat me given the chance lol

Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another. A lot of people won't admit to housing pairs because the get flamed by the "experts" but it's the same with lighting cages some people use and others don't.... Just my thoughts on that subject is if your snake warped itself around the light your cage was to cold.

Womas also eat other womas. They have a mostly reptile diet in the wild. You may feed them and end up with just the one snake soon after. Womas are voracious feeders. Mine would probably try to eat me given the chance lol
If monitored or seperated while feeding that wouldn't be a problem...

But why have to monitor it? Why take the risk when you can just have two cages. You can't watch them 24/7.

I've also gone to purchase two beautiful womas until I noticed they had severe burns from exposed light globes so I think they are pretty essential too.

I've also gone to purchase two beautiful womas until I noticed they had severe burns from exposed light globes so I think they are pretty essential too.
Yes if your enclosures aren't heated correctly it is essential to have light cages as the python will wrap itself around or get to close to the light to raise its body temperature to the desired level.

But why have to monitor it? Why take the risk when you can just have two cages. You can't watch them 24/7.
I have housed serval woma pairs together all year round with no issues for over a decade and so have 3 other people I know, some even wild caught pair housed together still no problems. Correct feeding and heating plays a big part IMO but hey what would I know....

I have housed serval woma pairs together all year round with no issues for over a decade and so have 3 other people I know, some even wild caught pair housed together still no problems. Correct feeding and heating plays a big part IMO but hey what would I know....

I don't know what you know, however I would be interested to hear a detailed explanation of heating enclosures and feeding that in your experience has led to this conclusion. Would you care to share?

Regards

Wing_Nut

It's happened before. There are photos floating around somewhere on another forum. Ill try to find them.

Not disputing what you say you have done
but there is a huge difference between an experienced keeper who knows all the risks
putting any species together
and a relative new comer with not much experience trying the same thing

I can and have pushed the envelope with many things
but would never advise new keepers to keep womas or bhps together

Not disputing what you say you have done
but there is a huge difference between an experienced keeper who knows all the risks
putting any species together
and a relative new comer with not much experience trying the same thing

I can and have pushed the envelope with many things
but would never advise new keepers to keep womas or bhps together

I said everyone should do their own research and not just follow what other people do because what works for someone may not work for others....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back