What types of disinfectant do you use??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woolies brand natural disinfectant lol, and i don't have a cleaning schedule. Just whenever there is poop or pee.

You could be right. Perhaps our animals are much hardier than we think. I'm yet to have any issues. I suspect the way I keep my animals would prevent bacterial buildup anyway

I should add that I do occasionally use a product from Coles/Woollies called Dettol surface spray or similar. It's recommended for use on babies toys, chopping boards and cooking utensils and claims to kill 99% of germs. It costs around $5 a bottle. My wife uses it so we always have it in the house anyway.

Vinegar has few, if any, antiseptic properties. Its cleaning properties are purely due to it being able acid, so it's good for acid soluble stuff. Indeed, I'm fairly sure some oxygen-loving bacteria can use it as an energy source.

Wow all sorts of items.and the ratio u use??

I use around 10 % ish not too fussy with exact ratio and I just chuck it out after I finish my cleaning. 100ml of vinegar is worth about 20c if you get 2lt from the supermarket. I don't see what all the antibacterial hysteria is all about. Good general hygiene is more important IMO. Studies have shown its more important to dry your hands thoroughly that what you use to wash them with. Unless you are using old enclosures for new animals I can't see the point of continually disinfecting them with strong chemicals if you have a healthy animal and remove waste as soon as possible

i use F-10 disinfectant, wipes and handwash. they have a great range and i trust them.

You could be right. Perhaps our animals are much hardier than we think. I'm yet to have any issues. I suspect the way I keep my animals would prevent bacterial buildup anyway

I should add that I do occasionally use a product from Coles/Woollies called Dettol surface spray or similar. It's recommended for use on babies toys, chopping boards and cooking utensils and claims to kill 99% of germs. It costs around $5 a bottle. My wife uses it so we always have it in the house anyway.
99% kill is not good enough , the remaining 1% are SUPERBUGS and YOU DON'T WANT THEM in the house or in the enclosures either.

Tick...Tick....Tick , bio-timebombs.

i use around 10 % ish not too fussy with exact ratio and i just chuck it out after i finish my cleaning. 100ml of vinegar is worth about 20c if you get 2lt from the supermarket. I don't see what all the antibacterial hysteria is all about. Good general hygiene is more important imo. Studies have shown its more important to dry your hands thoroughly that what you use to wash them with. Unless you are using old enclosures for new animals i can't see the point of continually disinfecting them with strong chemicals if you have a healthy animal and remove waste as soon as possible

Better safe than sorry. Not possible to give innocuations to our lizards. unlike for cats and dogs and mammaliam pets, so regular disinfection with vet grade products is the next best thing.

I'm more worried about the safety of some of these antibacterial cleaners than the actual bacteria.

I use diluted methylated spirits in a $2 spray bottle. Woks great and it completely evaporates.

I use diluted methylated spirits in a $2 spray bottle. Woks great and it completely evaporates.

Cheers for that, another idea that someone will pull apart because its not f10

Yeah god bless the three week experts! I got that tip from a professional venomous snake facility with over 500 snakes, so it can't be that bad! :)

i use water only however my guy is pretty much toilet trained and does his poops and wees outside. IF and when a bit of wee hits the newspaper i have unscented baby wipes that i use to wipe the bottom of the enclosure with :)

i use water only however my guy is pretty much toilet trained and does his poops and wees outside. IF and when a bit of wee hits the newspaper i have unscented baby wipes that i use to wipe the bottom of the enclosure with :)

Yep I know a lady who gives her tanks a scrub with water only

pretty good for cleaning glass streakfree, does it disinfect the glass , don't know.

neither do I, maybe there should be a study done on it lol :p. But tht facility Brodie has mentioned must be ok otherwise surely they wouldn't use it

Yeah it's an A- class facility for sure. Wish I could get a job there!

Yeah it's an A- class facility for sure. Wish I could get a job there!
I can understand a larger facility or even a larger hobbyist looking for a cheaper option but for me with my amount of enclosures I find $30 every year or two well worth the money.

80/20 metho/water for a hospital grade disinfectant and 60/40 for a general clean. I have a large collection and spend about $100 a year on metho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back