What types of disinfectant do you use??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used Hydrogen Peroxide 1% by volume (Chemist grade) I asked the local Reptile Vet when i was there last if it had any detrimental effects at all on my Reps and he reckons it is fine, although he prefers F10 in his practice, but according to him HP is fine............................................Ron

A reptile vet recently recommended I use a bleach water solution rather than f10 purely because it cleans much better than f10 which is more of a disinfectant rather than a cleaner and as soon as I used the bleach mix I noticed how much better it was for cleaning. I still go over with f10 after its aired and before the critters go in just to be sure :)

Metho is not much good as a disinfectant. Many studies have been done looking at the disinfectant/antimicrobial properties of pure alcohol and have found it's not much chop - as an example, to disinfect skin it must be in contact for 3 minutes to have a significant effect. Diluted alcohols are even worse.

Equally vinegar isn't very good either nor are any of the homemade options.

My personal choice of disinfectant (in answer to the original question at the top of the thread) is F10 as the concentrate lasts a long time and goes a long way with the research to back it up. However, one big caveat I would apply to that is that I don't think its necessary to clean out my reptile enclosures with disinfectant on a regular basis. I only really use it when something is really soiled and I would prefer a disinfection rather than just a clean eg. after the beardies do an enormous crap in their water bowl.

Most of the time I use metho or one of the natural-based non-toxic products we have laying around as they do a better job, particularly with getting a clear streak-free glass finish. I personally think many reptile keepers get over concerned with germs as our herps are tougher than we think IF all their husbandry needs are appropriately met.

Thanks to all tht have commented.i like to see different opinions and ways.some say they have been told to use this and others say dont use tht

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back