Snake people are bogans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a heap of people who keep snakes and they're all different. The ones I'd class as bogans are the ones who spend more money on their drugs than their animals and don't look after them as well as they should (not friends, friends of a friend that I really dislike).
I personally think bogan is 90% attitude 10% everything else :p

my 5 yr old has a mowhawk does that mean he is a bogan :lol:
018.JPG

Last edited:
It takes all types to love reptiles, everyone from your bogans to your classy millionaires are fascinated by them. It's the allure of the mysterious serpent paired with the 'fully sick reputation' that comes with owning them. I think the people that come and go in the hobby are mostly bogans, they think they're super cool until they realise they're not so unique just for owning a childrens python. The people who have been in the hobby for a while, they will know more about snakes then most people know about their paid professions. Bogan or not, that requires an incredible memory and passion for which they deserve the most credit.

I don't believe I am a bogan. I have 11 snakes in my household but I am also a qualified teacher, a medical receptionist and a student. I am a university graduate with honors, a state public speaking and debating winner and an avid reader.

No ute, no tattoos, no piercings, no slang used in daily language. I don't have a pit pull or a wife beater singlet...

It takes all kinds to love reptiles and that's what makes it's people so interesting. I'd pick reptile people over snooty socialites any day of the week.

I believe those of us who really love and care for our animals and keep them for our own enjoyment and not for the "look at me I own a snake" definately aren't bogans. Sometimes people use statements such as these to deter a person from something that they themselves aren't comfortable with.

My partner and I also enjoy the company of other like minded individuals who share our passion.

If you have a genuine desire and will be committed to the hobby you will have many hours of fun. The first thing I do in the morning and the last thing at night is check all of my babies individually and I have 10 and awaiting the arrival of another.

Be careful when you judge the book by its cover as you may never know the knowledge inside.

Hmmm... Lets see, I grew up in a houso house, I now own 100acres in possibly one of the smallest towns way out in whoop whoop. I own snakes, a mastiff cross and used to hunt and own a few pigging dogs. I love aussie muscle cars and was both born into and married into ford only family. I love working on cars and kicking the footy round the yard. I guess I might be a little bogan. I dont smoke, drink, have any tats, swear or yell and my kids, hubby and I are always clean, polite and well behaved especially in public so hopefully I dont come across to bogan, lol.

interesting thread this one lol ive come to the conclusion that being a bogan has nothing to with owning snakes AND being a bogan or different isnt a bad thing! the world would be a boring place if we were all the same 8) Its funny how bogan comes across to some people though -2 me its not a bad thing :)

I think it's funny people took it serious. Bogan was only a word made up maybe 15 years ago as we didn't have Rednecks.
Before that if you were not a surfie or lived on the coast. You were a "Westy"

I don't think the word bogan is implying an insult anymore. It's almost a term of endearment in Aussie culture. Redneck, on the other hand...
I think a redneck will always be a bogan, but a bogan isn't necessarily a redneck.

Redneck is American.
Aussie dont have Rednecks. Instead we have ferral's :)

^ true that! Although, ferals can also be harmless hippies!

^ lol i dream of moving to the hills of Byron Bay thats it im not a bogan im a wanna be hippy :lol:

I consider myself pretty well spoken, able to present myself very well when situations dictate I should,I generally dress is a stylish up to date manner, I'm professional soldier, a father and almost a husband. HOWEVER...I own a 4x4, I go fishing, I own snakes, I drink too much beer, I shoot toads with a .22, when doing these things I wear an akubra, I own many flannies. Does it make me a began? Yeh probably, but I don't care. Why lump anyone into one group because of one action?
But I guess I understand, I think my old RSM said it best, "you only gotta "love" one goat, and you'll always be known as a goat "lover""

I kick the footy, I fish, I skate occasionally, I own snakes, I do many so called 'bogan things' but I am well dressed, polite, clean, have grown up in a well spoken, well presented family but I like lots of people love chilling on bikes, in utes, in the bush, chilli out, fishing not giving a toss sometimes. I believe many see the term bogan as an insult. I call people bogans as they represent the 'stereotypical bogan'. In no way am I insulting them or trying to sound arrogant. I love the diversity and that most Aussies can be unique and not offended or feel the need to 'fit in'. I don't fit in at school with the girls, so I find guys I do fit in with and feel content geo myself and not caring and others opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kick the footy, I fish, I skate occasionally, I own snakes, I do many so called 'bogan things' but I am well dressed, polite, clean, have grown up in a well spoken, well presented family but I like lots of people love chilling on bikes, in utes, in the bush, chilli out, fishing not giving a toss sometimes. I believe many see the term bogan as an insult. I call people bogans as they represent the 'stereotypical bogan'. In no way am I insulting them or trying to sound arrogant. I love the diversity and that most Aussies can be unique and not offended or feel the need to 'fit in'. I don't fit in at school with the girls, so I find guys I do fit in with and feel content geo myself and not caring and others opinions.

lol i love how the further this thread go's things like cleanliness are being bought into it :lol: since when were bogans dirty? im clean as, dress well, speak well and like to think i even smell good lol but i still reckon im a bogan ha ha maybe theres different types of bogans :p

lol i love how the further this thread go's things like cleanliness are being bought into it :lol: since when were bogans dirty? im clean as, dress well, speak well and like to think i even smell good lol but i still reckon im a bogan ha ha maybe theres different types of bogans :p

Haha I don't think we are referring to smelling bad or having dirt on them. I often get dirty :) I think we mean more cleanly shaven, etc. like I suppose some view a bogan as maybe not caring for themselves or their appearance. Not sure though. I don't think bogans are dirty haha. :p

I think certain assumptions are made when talking about stereotypes and yes it is funny that different people have different ideas about what traits suit each stereotype. It is also funny that when you place someone into a stereotype and then assess their traits you will work out that they do not fully fit into that stereotype. I would class myself as a bit of a bogan but would also say that I would not match all the traits that I would associate with bogans and think that I would have many traits from many different stereotypes. That is why a stereotype is a generalisation of a group of people and not a description of any individual. It is the human mind that tries to group individuals into neat and definitive groups to make thinking easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back