Which Python best suits my needs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil1ooo

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and I'm looking for a pair of Pythons which can live in the same tank of around 1.5 meters long which is the size of the hides I have created where designed for. My tank is 2m W x 80cm D x 80cm H with 3 hides, live climbing vines, pool (40lt water filtered water with a water fall), cliff like background (built by me), all the heating requirements. Would anyone have any thoughts on the best type of pythons which would suit and enjoy this type of enclosure. I will post an image of the tank later but I would appreciate images of any suggested Pythons please as I don't know them by name/type atm. Cheers

Last edited:
you can have a lot I'd be looking at the new cop laws that are goin to be in place soon

what's the law got to do with it as I am not breaking any as far as I know? Cheers

First things first IMO its not in any pythons benefit to be held in the same enclosure as has been stated a thousand times over in other threads....but each to his own. I just wouldnt want to risk them hurting/killing each other , and the vet bills that follow lol

Are you in NSW? They have recently released minimum enclosure sizes for all reptiles. That is what Jesus is referring to.

Either way you can house pretty much anything in an enclosure that size with the exception of scrubbys if you are in NSW.

Choose YOUR favourite.

I'd personally go a jungle or a Darwin. I honestly wouldn't keep a pair together year round, but it has been done successfully with both species. Just feed them in separate enclosures.

Last edited:
Hi, (jbest) I did hear of pythons not being a good idea to be housed together which is why I came on here to all you known python lovers as I thought there might be some types that may be able to be placed together. If that's not possible then only one it will be. (Brodie) Yes but I am not sure (well don't know really to be more precise) which ones grow to which lengths as I don't want to get one and find out it's going to grow to 3 or 4 meters and be to big later on. Any ideas on which types would grow to no more than around 1.5 meters?. As for minimum enclosure sizes, I,m quite sure I far exceed those requirements but for interest sake please place a link on that topic. Cheers

its weird because everyone on here will recommend certain books to new snake owners and one of those books clearly states that jungle pythons can be housed together year-round, yet at the same time everybody will advise against housing snakes together. at the end of the day its your decision.

If your looking at snakes that won't exceed around 1.5m, both Darwins and jungles would be very suitable. You can get stunning specimens of both species. Check out B&G jungles, they are gorgeous.

Yes I'm in NSW. Can anyone help me with why my Pic won't upload. It's a JPG and only 117 kb in size but I've tried both options and they just don't work, I've left it for over 4 mins and nothing happens. Cheers

Keep in mind how much humidity the water fall will create.
HI. My tank has 2 air portals at the top of about 40cm square each. One has a fan to extract air out quicker which will be on a timer, this should prevent excess moisture in the tank as well. The tank has a heat cord covering 1/3rd of the tank which also covers heating 2 of the 4 hides ( 3 was an error before as it's 4 hides) and also the water is tempered as well which is why I placed a fan at the top (no fan to let air in though as I don't feel that being needed due to the one taking out should pull fresh air in automatically.

Finally got an image to work, Forum keeps asking me to log in about 10 times with each step. Something not right there.

Attachments

• SANY0010.JPG
    SANY0010.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 142
for a first time snake owner childrens, spotted and stimmi are the best option. but its your confident and want something bigger then a darwin is great, jungles are know to be snappy so i would not recomend them to a bigginer, unless its easy to handle and you feel confident.

the enclosure seems big enough to keep any type of python species. as 2m x 80cm is 1.6m2 and min size for one olive for scrub is 1.225m2

that's good frog tank as well. you might want to put some insulation to stop heat escaping during winter. how about a diamond python.

Too much glass in my opinion. I would cover the back and sides with fake rock wall to prevent heat escaping. Also I am not sure how warm your enclosure will stay with that much air flow. Maybe set it up and measure the temperatures and humidity without snakes first for a few days and see how it goes. After you have worked out the suitability you could start looking at what snakes will work for you as well as the enclosure. A lot of people say that jungles are a little feisty and may not suit all first timers. My biggest recommendation would be do a lot of research into different pythons and go from there. There is a really good article on the Southern Cross Reptiles website called road testing Australian pythons that might give you a bit of a guide. There are also many other good articles that you might be interested in as well.

It has potential to be a stunning enclosure, with all that glass it is going to be a bugger to heat though, if you are going to put in a waterfall you have to make sure whatever python you put in there can't redirect the water flow with it's body when it goes into the water for a soak. In all the research i did before i got my pair of spotties the 1 thing that kept coming up time and time again and that is the warning about keeping more than 1 python in the same enclosure, mostly they (the experts) spoke of the reptile eaters i.e Woma's and BHP's but some people here do it succesfully and in the end it is up to you to decide if the risk outweighed the convenience. That enclosure would quite happily maintain just about any python with the exception of a 2 year old + scrubby. Keep us all informed on your build with plenty of pic's and what you decide to put in it.................................Ron

its weird because everyone on here will recommend certain books to new snake owners and one of those books clearly states that jungle pythons can be housed together year-round, yet at the same time everybody will advise against housing snakes together. at the end of the day its your decision.

Just because it's a good book doesn't mean you have to agree with everything it says.

Yes I'm in NSW. Can anyone help me with why my Pic won't upload. It's a JPG and only 117 kb in size but I've tried both options and they just don't work, I've left it for over 4 mins and nothing happens. Cheers

Are you using Internet Explorer 10? It causes all sorts of problems. I solved the issue by downloading Firefox as my browser.

[video=youtube;xv8WeGnZz70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8WeGnZz70[/video]Finally got my water fall feature done. I now have 4 hides, 2 behind the waterfall and 1 on either side of the at the bottom. I am now after a python which doesn't grow more than 2 meters long. Will be looking in the store on here. what do you think. NOTE;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back