Visit to a pet shop on Gold Coast

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woma_Wild

Reaction score
As we don't have reptiles in pet shops here in sydney, I really wanted to go looking to see how the animals are kept.
The lizard enclosures seemed fine but I was upset to find dirty snake holding tubs. All of them had one, two and even three poops in them which would indicate they had not been cleaned out for a while.
They allow the public to handle the snakes which I presume is the norm but there was no hand gel or wipes to clean your hands.

Considering that one of the first thing we're taught or read about is cleanliness and hygiene......

I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Are they all the same?

Anyway, I got turned off visiting any more shops.

Go visit Scales and Tails if you get a chance they are at Oxley or there is a place called Everything reptile at Thorneside that is also good, both places are a bit of a drive from you but sounds like they will be much better shops.

Its not all shops, but sadly there are a few bad eggs. Dont let it put you off, visit them all and see the difference. I know of a few stores, scales and tails included that are excellent for reptiles.

I recently went to a petshop quite close that sells reptiles and fish.
They were selling some knobbies and some marbled velvet geckos.
There lizards where overpriced, selling for 255 each!
There was also a dead knobbie, it's tail so thin I didnt even think it possible.

Animals that I have brought in the past from this shop had a parasite or died of unknown causes.

I think that there is one down at Robina maybe Pet Crazy if you can't get too far from the coast.

Of course animals seem overpriced in shops. They have to pay the breeder, usually half of what they sell for, pay staff and maintain the animal.
But having underfed or dead animals is just shameful.

I brought my original female knobbie for 160 at a different place.

You definently have to shop around. Look at spotted pythons, some places have them for $190, others charge $450! Crazy

I don't buy livestock from pet stores as a general rule anyway but I interested in seeing what they had etc.
All too often, you see dead fish floating in tanks, puppies laying in their poop, large birds in small cages, etc.
hence the reason I'm against animals been sold in shops.
They are usually from over bred parents and prices are way over the top.
Anyway, it upset me to see those pythons in dirty living spaces.

In regards to prices... You have to consider pet shops and retail outlets in general have overheads they need to cover to stay afloat. It's all up to the consumer to decide if that spotted is worth 450, if not don't buy it.

You need to pop in and see our shop in Oxley. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You'll soon realise that everyone who works there are all reptile people. We don't let the public handle our animals either because we have strict quarantine and hygiene rules place. It's called Scales & Tails Reptile Outlet and we are a specialty reptile shop

Was it one in burleigh waters? The one I go to is the closest place that I can buy rats but I hate going there for that reason. I don't like pet shops at all - there are enough uncared for animals in the world as it is.

when i went the melbourne there tanks where fine and a spotted python was trying to strike at me through the glass the only thing i was disapointed by was that the turtles water was brown from the poop D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back