Cooling for breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woody101

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm going to try breed my patternless childrens pythons this year and maybe my diamonds I'm just asking for advice. I'm reading the keeping and breeding the australian pythons book but I'm after some advice and tips from breeders.

Heat on during the day and heat off at night approach.
Or
Heat on during the day and lowering temps at night.

Or is there a better / easier way you have found out.

Any tips or advice you could help me with would be great.

Thanks

Josh

I just give a max of 8 hours heat in winter. Seems to do the trick.

Yes normal heating during the day, I reduced the hours on, an hour a month from march until I reach 8 hrs as Snowman says for the winter months. And no heat at night, personally I supply no heat at night year round, so the cooling process is gradual over many month IMO as natural as possible. But as you'll find there are many ways to go about it, and depends on many thing especially your local climate

Last edited:
Im in the Gold Coast Hinterlands so it gets quite the difference in temperature compared to the coast

I am looking at breeding this year for the first time, too. I tought about leaving my pythons outdoors - of course in their enclosures and protected from the rain, but exposed to normal outdoor temperatures. I would turn on the UV lamps for a couple of hours every day, as the place I am looking at is shady and out of the sun. I thought that using the natural change of temperatures will be best for them, as especially the Murray Darling pythons occur naturally in our area and are used to our climate. Is that a bad idea?
Second question: Do the males also need to hibernate before breeding, or just the females?

I am looking at breeding this year for the first time, too. I tought about leaving my pythons outdoors - of course in their enclosures and protected from the rain, but exposed to normal outdoor temperatures. I would turn on the UV lamps for a couple of hours every day, as the place I am looking at is shady and out of the sun. I thought that using the natural change of temperatures will be best for them, as especially the Murray Darling pythons occur naturally in our area and are used to our climate. Is that a bad idea?
Second question: Do the males also need to hibernate before breeding, or just the females?
cooling males encourages sperm development
make sure your outdoor vivarium has accesses to morning sun but also has shade at all times.

OK, I just read a lot about this on a site called 'southernxreptiles' by Doc Rock. In winter, he recommends a daytime temperature of 22°C and nighttime 15°C. This means that some gentle heating will be needed also outdoors most of the time, but especially in the mornings at 'basking time'. Further, a snuggly fitting hide box with a removable lid. And no food at all from end of April to about mid of September! But make them drink a bit of water every couple of weeks. Have I got all the important points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back