So , Do any NSW pet stores have Herps for sale yet ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

borntobnude

As the title suggests ,

just curious after the flurry or chat on here is anything happening yet ?????

I know the reptile shop out at narelan have started there herp room and I think it will be up and running in afew weeks

Dont buy from pet shops , they put a huge mark up on the pricing of live reps and all accessories , buy form a well know breeder and all your other bits buy from ebay , or forums you will get a much better buy , used to be a sales rep for the pet industry for years sulling reptile, fish and other pet stuff, and you wouldnt believe how cheap they actually buy the stuff for

That's not always true boyds.boy77. Yes in some cases on certain low priced goods shops will have a huge mark up. On the whole though good shops will only mark up the products with the margin required to make a profit. This is usually about 100% on most dry goods, but would range from 25% (high priced quality products) - 400% (lower priced fast moving goods).

Also keep in mind that buying from a reputable shop will see just as many benefits associated with reputable breeders. Aside from likely being more expensive a shop will offer all those things a breeder can. Compared to online buying purchasing dry goods from a shop offers more conveniant service for warranty issues and you get to feel, see and learn about the goods from someone with experience to explain it.

Also keep in mind that buying from a reputable shop will see just as many benefits associated with reputable breeders. Aside from likely being more expensive a shop will offer all those things a breeder can

Such as proper quarantine procedures, full shed and feed history, pedigree history and being able to see the parents if need be?

Dont buy from pet shops , they put a huge mark up on the pricing of live reps and all accessories , buy form a well know breeder and all your other bits buy from ebay , or forums you will get a much better buy , used to be a sales rep for the pet industry for years sulling reptile, fish and other pet stuff, and you wouldnt believe how cheap they actually buy the stuff for
If that is the case why are so many petshops closing down? Are you recommending we close down the service industry and all just deal with computers?

I get very sick of comments like that...... Why is it people hold a grudge against a store owner trying to make a living. The coment about everything online may soon be reality as small businesses are being hammered. I own a scuba store, and people love coming in and bleeding me dry for advice, then going off to buy online. You know what that's ok, but when they come in with their gear they bought online and need it fixed cause the online retailer has no customer service......I laugh my head off at them. Then the idiots get bent out of shape cause i charge them. Why is it people in Australia all expect something for nothing? I have to feed my family, pay my mortgage, pay my bills etc. Then I have to pay all that for the store along with my staffs wages. But im sure people making these comments all work 70hrs anweek and do it for nothing. It makes me sick when people criticise stores for making a profit.

A thought for you. You said you were a rep. Wow you sold things for a profit, I also was a rep for a wholesaler and they import the stuff for bugger all so don't cry that the shops put on a huge markup. Your company had to make money somehow or you have no wages. So is it ok for companies to pay wages but the owners should not make anything. Think about it people and get over the "shops put huge markups on things"

Finally, any item is only worth what someone would pay for it, if someone is dumb enough to pay $1000 for a yellow Beardie. Who s the fool? The customer or the shop who priced it.

Sorry. Rant over

Such as proper quarantine procedures, full shed and feed history, pedigree history and being able to see the parents if need be?

I see no reason why a shop cannot provide that information. Obviously viewing the parents would not normally be possible (short of supplying photos) however how many big time reputable breeders provide viewing of parents? Not many. Why? Because a lot of them won't for security reasons. Yes there may be small chances of quarantine issues however I believe this is fairly small and not really a big issue. Reputable shops will buy from reputable disease free collections and use proper cleaning and sanitizing methods.

It's working elsewhere so cant see why NSW has been labeled as a state with nobody that knows what they are doing or dedicated.

Okkk, I am not here to upset peeps , I am just saying pet shops put a huge mark up on reptiles, dogs,cats etc when they buy from that breeder. If the breeder sells say a snake to the shop for $ 100 and they sell for $309 its not justifiable for a $ 200 mark up , $200 is a lot when someone can go directly to the breeder. They can view the parents , talk to a Professional and get all the info needed directly from the experinced breeder. Half the pet shops the kids working there wouldn't know if they were coming or going. You were saying about paying bills, having a family and morgage , well so do breeders to, they have bills. I am not saying in any way shops should close done , but in a tough economy,shops need to be competitive with other online or power sellers , its just buisness , when buying a car etc you don't buy the first price thrown at u , you shop around , everyone yes is trying to save a buck or 2 , with all these increases in rates, mortages etc you have to
I am sorry if it has upset anyone but I was just trying to say buy from a breeder not a shop :)

Okkk, I am not here to upset peeps , I am just saying pet shops put a huge mark up on reptiles, dogs,cats etc when they buy from that breeder. If the breeder sells say a snake to the shop for $ 100 and they sell for $309 its not justifiable for a $ 200 mark up , $200 is a lot when someone can go directly to the breeder. They can view the parents , talk to a Professional and get all the info needed directly from the experinced breeder. Half the pet shops the kids working there wouldn't know if they were coming or going. You were saying about paying bills, having a family and morgage , well so do breeders to, they have bills. I am not saying in any way shops should close done , but in a tough economy,shops need to be competitive with other online or power sellers , its just buisness , when buying a car etc you don't buy the first price thrown at u , you shop around , everyone yes is trying to save a buck or 2 , with all these increases in rates, mortages etc you have to
I am sorry if it has upset anyone but I was just trying to say buy from a breeder not a shop :)
I kinda get what your on about. But maybe you should have said 'personally I wouldn't buy from them' and then it would not seem like your flaming everyone who has bought from there.
I have an aquarium near by and the owner breeds dragons bluies and pythons and uou go with him to buy them but id say now the laws will permit him to sell from the shop.

Going to be another month or so at least before you start seeing herps in pet shops, first they have to wait for their application to be processed, then once that processed they have to wait for the gov. body inspect the premises to make sure everything is above bored. My local shop applied the day the law changed and they said last weekend it was at least 4-6 weeks before they would get the green light

I had a local pet store owner tell me that "we are now allowed to sell snakes if we want.....but bloody hell!...They want $2400 for the licence!!"

I guess he is not going into reptiles..........

I personally don't think many of the standard run of the mill pet stores will bother. I am hoping that a small number of very well run and reputable stores emerge, run by people who have been into reptiles for some time and know their stuff - except now they can do it legally from a shop front instead of home. In this scenario it could be a good thing.

Lets hope it works out that way....

We have a few Reptile specific stores here in SA. They breed their own animals as well as sourcing animals from other breeders. These are the best stores to buy from as they are the most knowledgeable and usually have good prices on all your equipment and consumables. With any luck a few breeders in NSW will open shops like this. Make sure you support them by shopping there. Whilst shopping online may be cheaper, buying in store you are getting the convenience of having the item immediately and advice from experienced herpers.

I get very sick of comments like that...... Why is it people hold a grudge against a store owner trying to make a living. The coment about everything online may soon be reality as small businesses are being hammered. I own a scuba store, and people love coming in and bleeding me dry for advice, then going off to buy online. You know what that's ok, but when they come in with their gear they bought online and need it fixed cause the online retailer has no customer service......I laugh my head off at them. Then the idiots get bent out of shape cause i charge them. Why is it people in Australia all expect something for nothing? I have to feed my family, pay my mortgage, pay my bills etc. Then I have to pay all that for the store along with my staffs wages. But im sure people making these comments all work 70hrs anweek and do it for nothing. It makes me sick when people criticise stores for making a profit.

A thought for you. You said you were a rep. Wow you sold things for a profit, I also was a rep for a wholesaler and they import the stuff for bugger all so don't cry that the shops put on a huge markup. Your company had to make money somehow or you have no wages. So is it ok for companies to pay wages but the owners should not make anything. Think about it people and get over the "shops put huge markups on things"

Finally, any item is only worth what someone would pay for it, if someone is dumb enough to pay $1000 for a yellow Beardie. Who s the fool? The customer or the shop who priced it.

Sorry. Rant over

I had a guy come in with his daughter a few weeks ago and pick my brains for about 20 minutes and tried out my stock only to tell me to my face he was going to buy what he wanted online. He then cracked it with me when I became a little less helpful ;) Some people...

If that is the case why are so many petshops closing down? Are you recommending we close down the service industry and all just deal with computers?
While we are at it lets stop farming because the farmers pay so little for seeds then sell the produce for more, how dare they!!! Or stop manufacturing because the base materials are cheaper than the finished product.

A store is the same thing except instead of making something the added value comes from customer service and knowledge. They have to charge more because the have to pay wages, transport, rent and bills.

Went to one of the first stores in Sydney to have their herps yesterday . What a great setup , Nice animals ,nice cosy little enclosures for the hatchie's and the dragons were not overcrowded and reasonably priced :) . sales people who know what they are talking about and a shop full of people that when they see the snakes are just drawn to look !! (future herpers to increase the hobby ) . Even a good variety of the available snakes Jungles, Coastals ,Childrens, Bredlis, and an albino . Great Stuff!!!!!!! ,

Sorry. Rant over

Well said :)

Last edited:
Went to one of the first stores in Sydney to have their herps yesterday . What a great setup , Nice animals ,nice cosy little enclosures for the hatchie's and the dragons were not overcrowded and reasonably priced :) . sales people who know what they are talking about and a shop full of people that when they see the snakes are just drawn to look !! (future herpers to increase the hobby ) . Even a good variety of the available snakes Jungles, Coastals ,Childrens, Bredlis, and an albino . Great Stuff!!!!!!! ,

Which shop is it? PM me if you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back