Wanting info on Red Ackie Monitors!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieBloke

Reaction score
Hi guys :D

Just looking into keeping two ackies but have a few questions and not 100% sure how big to have my enclosure.. i have a nice wooden one made up i used for my bearded dragons but i modified it to hold a lot of sand, its 4ft long 2ft high and 2ft deep with a sand depth of about 2.5inches.

If i use a 100watt globe for the basking spot it gets to around 50degrees, is that to high or should i use a 75watt to bring it down? and at what temp should the enclosure be at?

Do they require UVB and how much? i have a eco terra 10.0 spiral globe at the moment.

Any other tips or info would be great!

THANKS!
BeardieBloke

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, your enclosure size is fine, but have big vents installed at the cool end.
I use several 100watts which pretty much melt the glass but its how they like it.
They dont require Uv if they get sun, they just need a bit to help absorb calcium to avoid bone disease.
You will find hatchies for sale next season. (December - Feb)

If u live in nsw that size enclosure will be to small even for 1. From memory it needs to have a floor area of 0.98m2 (correct if I'm wrong). Which is around 1600x600!

If u live in nsw that size enclosure will be to small even for 1. From memory it needs to have a floor area of 0.98m2 (correct if I'm wrong). Which is around 1600x600!

Why does it make a difference which state he's in lol?

That size is fine for a pair.

Yes in NSW there are now mandatory cage sizes. For ackies the formula is based on the assumption that an average one is 70cm!

Irrespective of the size issue the important aspect to keeping goannas is one central hot spot. 240v halogens work very well, either 50 or 35watts depending on the season. Aim for 60-65C. The rest of the enclosure should be cooler. A tile rack is also very useful and far more important to the ackie than a good view.

i was looking into ackies until i saw the cage rule now its kinda putting me off 4x2x2 was a good size idk why u need such a big cage

70cm seems massive!

Having two juveniles in that size would be good for the time being till i build a bigger one.
At what temp should i keep the rest of the enclosure?

I was to looking at getting one next season but now with the new regs which i have with me now the 0.98m2 is based of an enclosure 1.4 x 0.7m and if you want a pair you have to increase that by 50% so your looking at something around 1.8 x 0.8! So now maybe until i have the room they may have to wait!

70cm seems massive!

Having two juveniles in that size would be good for the time being till i build a bigger one.
At what temp should i keep the rest of the enclosure?

I use the same set up as Spongebob, normally several 50W GU10 globes for the basking spot. The cool end if my enclosures is normally around the ambient room temperature. I have a couple of ceramic heat emitters on a thermostat; however, these only come on in the middle of winter during cold Canberra nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back