Poo?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcia75

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Iv recently had trouble with a non feeding coastal and just went into his enclosure and saw there was a poo in the comer of the enclosure he wasn't feed in about 1.5-2 months now and was wondering if I should offer a feed...

no harm in trying , if it doesnt eat try again in a week , what methods are you trying to get him eating ?

6 to 8 weeks between eating and defecating is definitely outside the norm but that is not to say that your snake is unwell. I assume it is well beyond the juvenile stage, otherwise you probably would not be so concerned.

If the animal is hungry and ready to eat to eat it will eat. Offer it whatever it has been most receptive to in the past.

Blue

It wasn't a usual size poo it was just a tiny one I'd expect out of a juvenile python. She's about 3 years old. I got her off of one of my little brother's mate, but knowing him I think it may of been a wild snake :L do I offer him a live rodent or what? Iv left food over night, iv tried freshly killed, iv tried wriggling it in front if him. But he is just way too placid...

"Way too placid" may imply that your temps are too low. Actually it isn't outside the norm for a snake to pass some fecal matter weeks or months after a feed. Despite there not being food going in for a month or more, they rarely void all material from their digestive tracts, so residual matter remains, and when combined with the leftovers of normal metabolism (which is ongoing, albeit at a slower rate when they are not feeding), it can manifest itself as a normal, but usually smaller stool.

The frequency and mass of snake poo is dependent on temperature, activity levels, feeding regime and probably one or two other variables in the animal's life. Unlike mammals, which have a fixed temp and therefore require frequent refuelling to maintain temperature and energy levels (and as a consequence are usually regular crappers), snakes are not dependent on regular meals because they don't have to be.

Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back