Help hybernating my diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
match natural conditions you say? so you feed live prey to your snakes? and have a wind simulator in all your enclosures? lol

Well i warm them to a natural body temperature, wiggle them to simulate life and my ventilation allows hot air to rise and cooler fresh air to replace it. Oh wow, Just like in nature....

So yes, as sarcastic as your comment was, i do indeed provide everything you mentioned. I was under the impression that this was standard practise to provide your animals with warm food and fresh air but i guess not.

hi every body was reading this thread found it very informative but I live 2 hours south of Sydney temps are already down to 20c at night and I don't want to risk any RIs from to cold temps also when do you stop feeding when you change the basking temps (say at the end of this month) or do you wait till the snake says no? any advice much appreciated thanks

Hi Amy

Diamonds are very resilient pythons and can handle extremes of high and low temps. However, if exposed for long periods with no temperature gradient, it can be harmful.

I have kept diamonds indoors in SEQ for over 10 years with temp cycling as follows.

SUMMER: bask temp 30-35 degrees
ambient (cool end) 25-28 degrees
12-14 hrs of daylight
no heat at night

WINTER: bask temp 26-30 degrees
ambient (cool end) 18-22 degrees
night time no heat, 10-12 degrrees, snake room window wide open.........occasionally down to 4-5 degrees
8hrs of heat

The important thing is to ensure you stop feeding about a month before you give them access to the extreme low temps, this allows for digestion and passing of entire stomach contents. Diamonds handle the cold fine, my outdoor diamonds experience frosts for 2 weeks through winter, as long as they have access to warm day temps, they will be fine.

My diamond is now 4 years old and i have never hybernated him. I was thinking i should start this year. Can anybody give me some advice on how to go about doing it, what the temperatures should be, when i should give him his last meal any anything else i need to know???

Hi Amy

Diamonds are very resilient pythons and can handle extremes of high and low temps. However, if exposed for long periods with no temperature gradient, it can be harmful.

I have kept diamonds indoors in SEQ for over 10 years with temp cycling as follows.

SUMMER: bask temp 30-35 degrees
ambient (cool end) 25-28 degrees
12-14 hrs of daylight
no heat at night

WINTER: bask temp 26-30 degrees
ambient (cool end) 18-22 degrees
night time no heat, 10-12 degrrees, snake room window wide open.........occasionally down to 4-5 degrees
8hrs of heat

The important thing is to ensure you stop feeding about a month before you give them access to the extreme low temps, this allows for digestion and passing of entire stomach contents. Diamonds handle the cold fine, my outdoor diamonds experience frosts for 2 weeks through winter, as long as they have access to warm day temps, they will be fine.
This is exactly what I was after thank you BARRAMUNDI I will do exactly this I think

I live in Canberra and have had Diamonds for 8 years now. I don't feed them from May-September and they've never been given heat at night (except their 1st winter) in some houses they've been in it can get down to 10 degrees at night and I've had no ill effects.

The room they are kept in now has an average winter low night temp of about 15 degrees. My snakes are healthy, lean and muscular.

I've lost one diamond ( I bought her when she was 6) she came from Townsville and was never cooled, she was massive, about 9kg and nearly 11ft long, but she died six months after I bought her, I honestly believe because she'd never had a winter switch off period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My diamond is now 4 years old and i have never hybernated him. I was thinking i should start this year. Can anybody give me some advice on how to go about doing it, what the temperatures should be, when i should give him his last meal any anything else i need to know???
You could complete the location on your profile so you can get a meaningful answer.

My diamond went off his food in march. He gets heat all day but the temp only get to btw 25-28 then no heat at night down to about 7 deg. He's handling it fine and its his first cooling. Everyone has there own interpretation of what's meant to happen but at the end of the day we all have there best interest at heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back