Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
a lot of adds on gumtree for pythons have people mentioning 'only selling because found out im pregnant' or selling because I am having a baby soon' :? what's the big problem? I don't get it. I have become very attached to gorgoo lol I love him.....even though he cant love me back lol I mean I was cautious about the salmonella at 1st however I soon worked out common sense was all I needed with that. Surely people don't think they could eat their children!!??

I tried to sell my mother in law when we found out my wife was pregnant.... Nobody would take her, even with her holding a case of beer under each arm lol... I wouldn't get rid of my reptiles though.... I did have a heap of friends who were "concerned" about my child being eaten... (This was at the same time that a burm killed a little girl in the US.) I had a yearling BHP and a 4ft diamond....

Don't you know a childrens python is perfectly capable of eating a baby and then finishing off the cat for dessert. You are a horrible Mum for having a coastal near your children and should feel bad. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though, I don't get it either. I know couple of people with young kids and pythons. Their snakes are as much a part of the family as the dog is.

Or perhaps it's because their time would be consumed with the pregnancy/baby?

Just a thought.

I think people would have all different reasons like some mentioned above and possibly also if they were only keeping the snake as a "cool pet" and now the novelty has worn off it gives them a good excuse to get back out of the hobby. I don't think though that anyone that has ever kept a snake would think that the snake would harm the baby apart from maybe the salmonella issue possibly.

I tend to find people who decide to reproduce don't put much thought into anything really...

Does the government still pay that 5K baby bonus????
Hmmmm knock the missus up & then I can afford to buy some more snakies. OMG.... sell the child & even more snakes.......

I tend to find people who decide to reproduce don't put much thought into anything really...

Are you kidding? Your parents must have been horribly thoughtless then..... You've not only dismissed the people that brought you into the world, but every other parent as well...

Monty while I agree that its a crap reason to get rid of your animals (cat, dog, snake, ferret, whatever) as said above priorities change and kids are expensive and time consuming, so I can understand why this happens and if its a case of "im over this its not cool anymore, then is it not better that someone that will love. cherish and care for the animal have it? whats their other option? Release it into the wild? I find it much more responsible to onsell/giveaway an animal than to neglect it or release it..

My son and his fiance are about to have their first baby. My son has a 8 foot Olive (and growing fast) and a 10 foot Coastal carpet at his place. We have a 6 foot CCP and a 7 foot Diamond at our place and the thought of getting rid of these animals never crossed our minds. Common sense is all that is needed surely.

well were about to have our 7th son and trust me we put a lot of thought into him.....lol. Sezzzzzzzz yeah I fully agree with you that for whatever the reason if the pet becomes unwanted its better off being moved on to someone with more time and care :) Oh and yeah the 5 g baby bonus is still paid however ours go's on the morgatge boring but wise :|

Last edited:
While recently shopping for a new cat I quickly found that nearly all of the ads on gumtree that went along those lines were scams. Not saying the reptile related ones are, but they could be.

Not sure why it went that way with cats, maybe it is designed as a way to explain why the person is getting rid of a perfectly fine pet for way below normal price. They usually end up not being in the state they originally mentioned and that they will need some money paid upfront so they can afford to send the animal to you.

Again, not necessarily what is going on here but I have noticed its a trend on classified sites like gumtree.

Are you kidding? Your parents must have been horribly thoughtless then..... You've not only dismissed the people that brought you into the world, but every other parent as well...

Monty while I agree that its a crap reason to get rid of your animals (cat, dog, snake, ferret, whatever) as said above priorities change and kids are expensive and time consuming, so I can understand why this happens and if its a case of "im over this its not cool anymore, then is it not better that someone that will love. cherish and care for the animal have it? whats their other option? Release it into the wild? I find it much more responsible to onsell/giveaway an animal than to neglect it or release it..

I apologize to everyone offended, yes I was kidding. Humour, least not of all mine tends no to go down too well here I see...

Where I grew up I can guarantee 90% of people with kids put about 0 thought to them aside from "baby bonus!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back