(Noob) My Jungle Python struck at my thumb and I flinched, will it be ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Undecided

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
This morning my snake seemed a bit out of sorts. I only had it for 3 weeks and this morning when I went to get it out it struck my thumb. It is so kind usually never wanting to bite. But what I did is tipped it out of the toilet roll it hides in, and then went straight to hold it. I guess it was startled? Any way it struck and I flinched and was hoping that its' teeth will be ok? There are no teeth stuck in my thumb. But later it went to the toilet on me so I have decided to give a weeks break. Any answers means alot. Thanks.

It's teeth will be fine.
You are right. It was most likely scared.
There is the odd chance it was a feed response though.
When's the last time you gave it a feed?

Last edited:
U scared it.. dumping it out and going for it would of scared it for sure.

It's 'teeth' will be fine.
You are right. It was most likely scared.
There is the odd chance it was a feed response though.
When's the last time you gave it a feed?

Why the quotation marks around Teeth?

Probably due for a shed. Don't worry about it mate.

I last fed it only 3 days ago. I am sure I just startled it. Tipping it out like that and going to hold most likely startled it I hope. It never bites (in the 3-4 weeks I have had it). And about 10 mins later it toileted on me.

I last fed it only 3 days ago. I am sure I just startled it. Tipping it out like that and going to hold most likely startled it I hope. It never bites (in the 3-4 weeks I have had it). And about 10 mins later it toileted on me.
You've only had it a month. It's a big call to say it never bites. I've had snakes for a few years that have never bitten. Then one day they just decide to see what I taste like. Pet snakes can bite. I don't think it means anything other than they want to be left alone at that point in time. Unless they latch on and constrict, which is usually associated with food and hunger.

You've only had it a month. It's a big call to say it never bites. I've had snakes for a few years that have never bitten. Then one day they just decide to see what I taste like. Pet snakes can bite. I don't think it means anything other than they want to be left alone at that point in time. Unless they latch on and constrict, which is usually associated with food and hunger.

Yeah, interesting. I do agree with you there 100%.

You can try. Just depends if are willing to get bitten again.
Or did you already get it out since you had the other thread with the photo?

It took me 9 months before my Jungle bit me. At the time though it was my fault.
I was messing around with the thermostat probe, positioning it back in the hide, and obviously got my hand in the wrong spot and he/she had no where to go, so bam it went.

I should of lifted the hide up first, let her scent me for a bit, got her out...
And then messed around with the probe/hide.

I really don't know why I did the quotation marks around teeth in one of my above posts either. My bad. Lol.

Last edited:
Try and judge his body language :) if he seems very flinch-ey and defensive I'd leave him be but if he appears pretty relaxed go for it.

It takes time but after owning them for a while their body language gets pretty easy to gauge and you just go from there :) Goodluck

if it is hiding in a toilet roll then i'm tipping it is very little???? young little snakes strike at anything, i have a 5 month old BHP althouth its 3 foot long it is still thinking i'm trying to kill it and if it is out cruising around the enclosure and i go to pick it up it strikes and will continue coming at me till i leave the enclosure, its angrier than a brown snake, i just wait till its in its hide and lift the hide off it and pick it up, its a totally different snake once you pick it up

if it is hiding in a toilet roll then i'm tipping it is very little???? young little snakes strike at anything, i have a 5 month old BHP althouth its 3 foot long it is still thinking i'm trying to kill it and if it is out cruising around the enclosure and i go to pick it up it strikes and will continue coming at me till i leave the enclosure, its angrier than a brown snake, i just wait till its in its hide and lift the hide off it and pick it up, its a totally different snake once you pick it up
My hatchy BHP is a "jumper" or seems to jump at you quite often as well. It is also fine once I hook it out of the tub she is in at the moment.

Try tipping it out of the toilet roll directly onto your hand the keep it still till it works out what's going on then it should be fine, or it still might bite but this generally works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back