snake id in Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a delma. I'm going tincta but I'm not 100% on the species

It's a legless lizard.

Well parks are wrong. Google moon snakes if ya want. Send it to grant husband at TWP , not parks

Yeah, they have a pretty crazy defensive display dude. I know my track record isn't great lately (HAHAHAHAHAHA) but I'm going delma :) I only ever saw 10 or so in 15 years of herping in the NT. You are lucky!!

Probably Delma tincta- they hold onto their pattern a whole lot better than borea as they age.

-H

Definately a species of Delma (legless lizard). They don't "strike" but they do lunge around a bit which could give that impression.

As for believing what someone in parks told you it was... well the lack of much natural history knowledge is a sad indictement on many in this profession nowadays

It does look like a juvi brown... certainly a lot more than it looks like an Orange-naped Snake. The dead give away to its true identity is the pointed snout, which both your local Delmas have. Browns have a well rounded snout (while Furina are somewhere in between). I can guarantee you that the dark lateral mark forward of the last black black band on the neck is actually the external ear opening. Unfortunately the quality of the photo does not allow it to be clearly distinguished from a black surface mark.

I’d go with it most likely being Delma borea due to the discernable orange tinge on the dorsal surface of the cream (or white) bands separating the dark head and nape patches, which is not present in D. tincta. They can be distinguished more definitively by a simple scale check on the snout, but that ain’t going to happen...

My understanding is that northern populations of D. borea are sharply marked as juveniles but do significantly fade to the colour of the rest of the back as adults.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just an area they're common. The term for reptiles of a 'nest' is often misused just when something is common.... Maybe if there were 5-6 babies found within a couple days a 'nest' would explain where they came from...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back