Pet or Just a pretty Carpet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkinball

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just picked this guy/gal off the road and noticed that it is a little different to most of the carpets i've seen around here. Pet maybe? What do you think? I don't want to release it if it is someones escaped pet.

P4180517 (1024x768).jpg

Thanks

Wow nice carpet. I think you should remove the picture because people might claim it even though its not theirs. First ask if anyones lost a snake or take it to the local snake catchers and see what they say :)

Wow nice carpet. I think you should remove the picture because people might claim it even though its not theirs. First ask if anyones lost a snake or take it to the local snake catchers and see what they say :)
I would take it off, but what i'm trying to figure out is what people think of it being just a local or if it might be someones pet. Nobody knows exactly where i picked it up so i should be safe for now. I don't think from where i found it that it would be a members snake. Thanks though

It looks far to good to be wild imo, what a stunner of an animal.
I think that there is just as nice wild snakes as captive snakes. I think that I have seen another member post a similar wild snake to this one a little while back.

I think that there is just as nice wild snakes as captive snakes. I think that I have seen another member post a similar wild snake to this one a little while back.

It was very calm when i picked it up, didn't try to strike just calmed down quickly. Gave my arm a good squeeze, but has settled down in a tub, and as you can see in the photo is not exactly agitated. The photo was only taken 10 mins after i picked it up.

It was very calm when i picked it up, didn't try to strike just calmed down quickly. Gave my arm a good squeeze, but has settled down in a tub, and as you can see in the photo is not exactly agitated. The photo was only taken 10 mins after i picked it up.
I was not commenting on whether or not this snake was wild or captive bred but more commenting on Burnerism's statement about it looking too nice for a wild snake.

Merkin, please release it.
I think you will find a big % of wild reptiles will look a lot 'nicer' then most captives.
Ever seen wild Alice Spring beardies? 100x better then the red beardies in captivity.
Just because they're wild animals doesn't mean they're all going to be dull and drabby.
Its best just to leave them...

It looks far to good to be wild imo, what a stunner of an animal.

ok so how my post got deleted for 'irrelevant to ID' but this post ^^^ stays has me baffled...

i think people need to understand ...

THERE IS A WILD SIDE TO REPTILES, not just in a box!
ofcourse wild ones will look JUST as nice captives?? .. All us breeders do is put the nice pair together, and are you guys saying wild ones cant do that themselves?

Here is a coastal I removed from my nanna's place 2years ago. There are some amazing wild snakes

Attachments

• _DSC3539.jpg
    _DSC3539.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 198
  • _DSC3537.jpg
    _DSC3537.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 206
Calm behaviour in a snake is not necessarily indicative of a escaped captive. Wild snakes can also be calm.

I wonder if when Blondie the first Albino Darwin was first found they stopped and wondered whether it was an escaped pet or not.

Looks like a magnificent example of a pattern morph(very much like a caramel coastal in my opinion) occurring in a wild animal. Remember, the mutations you see in captivity were all from animals that were wild at some point generations back. What would ever give people the idea that captive mutations can't happen in the wild as well?

Looks like a magnificent example of a pattern morph(very much like a caramel coastal in my opinion) occurring in a wild animal. Remember, the mutations you see in captivity were all from animals that were wild at some point generations back. What would ever give people the idea that captive mutations can't happen in the wild as well?
I think some mutations would not happen in the wild. Not sure if my reasoning is correct or not but I would think some mutations like albinos for example usually do not survive in the wild and may not get a chance to cross with other mutations that mat not survive in the wild.

I think some mutations would not happen in the wild. Not sure if my reasoning is correct or not but I would think some mutations like albinos for example usually do not survive in the wild and may not get a chance to cross with other mutations that mat not survive in the wild.

I never said anything about survival, just of the fact that they happen naturally just as easily.

Albino's occur all the time in nature, but yeah because of the type of mutation it is, survival rates are extremely low. something like in the photo, the mutation doesn't really effect survivability though...

You have to remember that colour mutations in snakes are allelic, the same kind of mutations that dictate hair and eye colour in humans, so they're really not rare, just not necessarily advantageous from an evolution standpoint.

Last edited:
I never said anything about survival, just of the fact that they happen naturally just as easily.

Albino's occur all the time in nature, but yeah because of the type of mutation it is, survival rates are extremely low. something like in the photo, the mutation doesn't really effect survivability though...
Not sure that you are getting the point that I am trying to make.

well all the captive snakes did originate from the wild so it wouldn't surprise me if it where wild but wow that's a beaut slowly but surely evolution will continue

Name a mutation that couldn't happen in a wild population...
My point was that there would be a slim chance that some morphs would actually happen in the wild. For example the sunglow morph, this is created by crossing an albino with a caramel. Both of these morphs may occur in the wild but the chances that they grow to breeding age is slim let alone them coming into contact at breeding time to make the cross. Nothing is impossible but I would imagine the chances of this happening would be less than you winning the lotto. This is why I brought into the scenario the fact of survival, I was not insinuating that you said they had to survive but some morphs are reliant on other morphs surviving to produce them. I never said or mentioned that the colour of the python in question could not or would not happen or survive in the wild. I have made no comment at all about whether or not the snake is wild or pet. I hope this clears up your misunderstanding of my comment.

Snake will be released in the nearby bushland today. Thanks for the posts everyone. It is a good looking snake, but it is nice to know that we get to see such variation in the wild. I never wanted to keep the snake if it was wild, i just had never seen one with this sort of patterning locally, i'm glad i saved it from the road, and the trouble it was likely to get itself into by ending upin a neighbours house/yard. This thread certainly went in a different direction to what i intended, maybe i should have worded it a bit differently.

Thanks For your input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back