Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all states. WA it is certainly illegal to cross sub species. And sub species are listed as such.
it is illegal to own any of the east coast sub species in wa, so it doesn't matter if its legal or not....

it is illegal to own any of the east coast sub species in wa, so it doesn't matter if its legal or not....
Come on mate. We have NWCP and SWCP. Some people have both under the right licenses.... Two sub species of Morelia spilota occur in WA.

Generally on our species lists jungles, diamonds, coastals, MDs, SWCP, darwins, etc. are all classed as carpet pythons (Morelia spilota). Therefore it is legal to cross the different subspecies of Morelia spilota in all states. As bredli (Morelia bredli) are not of the same species even though they are of the same genus, it is illegal for a MD and a Bredli to reproduce in some states.

Correct, also be aware that keeping a male and female snake in the same enclosure is classed as "intend to breed". personally i like to keep my lines "pure" (as far as that is possible) even though i think there have been reports of spilota subspecies crosses in the wild, ultimately i guess it comes down to personal preference...

Generally on our species lists jungles, diamonds, coastals, MDs, SWCP, darwins, etc. are all classed as carpet pythons (Morelia spilota). Therefore it is legal to cross the different subspecies of Morelia spilota in all states. As bredli (Morelia bredli) are not of the same species even though they are of the same genus, it is illegal for a MD and a Bredli to reproduce in some states.
Im confused now. So the Centralian Carpet Python is not even a carpet python? I thought it was Morelia Spilota Bredli...according to my searches you are correct and it is Morelia Bredli (seperate species) so is Central Carpet just a case of the wrong name sticking like King Brown?

that is why common names suck, it looks like a carpet but isn't a "spilota carpet" the problem is that Morelia species are commonly refered to as carpets, but spilota are also refered to as carpets, e.g bredli (centralian carpet), amethystine (scrubby), viridis (green tree). to my knowledge all of these can interbreed, but are not spilota. to my knowledge kind brown was originally classed as naja and then as pseudoechis, whilst bredli were once morelia spilota bredli, but DNA typing has actually shown them to be a distinct species, but i haven't done detailed research on the taxonomy

i keep 2 adult bredli's together in a large enclosure male/ female. alot of people are against keeping any species together but some species can be found in the wild sharing the same hide ect. i put alot of time and effort into introducing my pythons and making sure there was no agression between them. i have never had a fight or death between snakes kept together. as long as they are feed well and not agressive to the other python they are fine.

i don't recomend a newbie keep pythons together, best off building 2 indoor enclosures for the bredli's and is it possible to half the outdoor enclosure or extend it and make it 2 separate outdoor inclosures for the MD's.

i would never keep 2 males together, and i would not mix species.

that is why common names suck, it looks like a carpet but isn't a "spilota carpet" the problem is that Morelia species are commonly refered to as carpets, but spilota are also refered to as carpets, e.g bredli (centralian carpet), amethystine (scrubby), viridis (green tree). to my knowledge all of these can interbreed, but are not spilota. to my knowledge kind brown was originally classed as naja and then as pseudoechis, whilst bredli were once morelia spilota bredli, but DNA typing has actually shown them to be a distinct species, but i haven't done detailed research on the taxonomy

Lots of terms to learn, but what struck me here is the term
"DNA typing"

I know from my dog and cat breeding that DNA testing has hugely progressed over the last decade. What can it do for snakes? Perhaps we should open up a new thread for that, because I believe that this is an extremely interesting means of science.

I recently picked up a leaflet about our local Murray Darling Carpet Python from our local Wildlife Protection Office and it says, "We don't know much about this species and their behaviour ..." Well, I guess, if hobby snake breeders put some funds into DNA tests and other lab work and keep logbooks and records about what their snakes are doing, we might even be able to become national heroes! :)

Hi mates, I wish to express a HUGE THANK YOU to you right here. You have taught me so much in this one, single thread!

By now, I didn't even know that the two python species which I have acquired could possibly "interbreed". I thought - two different species? Well, then it is just like dog and cat, or cat and fox, or dog and hyena - they cannot produce offspring because they are too different. But obviously, in pythons, the term "species" must be interpreted rather as "variety" or what dog and cat breeders call "breed". So, thank you for the education that they could produce some sort of unwanted mix-bred offspring which in snake lover's languange is called "hybrids".
Now, I will definitely keep both species apart. Especially, as someone mentioned that it is even "illegal" to allow interracial boy and girl sex to happen!

I have followed your advice and have put both males away from the cattery cage into separate enclosures. However, I gave them the enclosures which formerly belonged to the females, because I think that the water tanks in which the boys were before (is that what some of you call "tubs"?) were/are absolutely inappropriate for such large snakes. In the enclosures which I bought with the females, the boys now have 3 levels to change from cool (with a water bowl) to medium (with a blanket to hide under) to warm (with a heat lamp and a UV lamp), so I'd say this is sufficient to start with. Further, I think that the smell of the respective female who lived in there before (and the carpet floorings haven't been washed since) may give the boys the right dreams for their winter sleep ... :)

The two big girls, however, are still in the large outdoor cattery cage - together. If I find a way how to post pictures here, I will show it to you. I believe it is a real "paradise" for snakes, featuring everything they find in their natural habitats and with lots of hiding places. With this size and quality of habitat, I believe that the two females can live together peacefully. I will screw on a stronger heat lamp tomorrow which I just bought, together with other snake acessories, so there will even be two basking platforms.

Python breeding is a very expensive hobby, isn't it? Just spent another $350 today only on cage accessories. But I love the idea anyway. I hope it will work out in spring and give us some snake babies!

where did you find this information? I have never heard of that before.

Information was obtained from the QLD licencing FAQ, regarding restricted species on a recreational licence, ie you may own to womas (restricted species in QLD) but not place them in the same cage if they are male and female unless you have an advanced licence

Mate don't take offense to this, but you sound quite inexperienced in the hobby. And probably very under researched... You've only just got the snakes and you're talking breeding? I'd probably hold off on that a bit if I where you. Continue with more research, constantly learning. I'd be getting all my husbandry practices right first and foremost. So much to learn bud. I'm no expert, far from it but that is my opinion. It's not just a matter of snakes having a nap, waking up and chopping then 9 months later a little baby one comes out and mummy snake breast feeds til it's ready to look after itself then happy days...
My suggestion to you, get some books, use Internet searches... Learn more

Hi mates, I wish to express a HUGE THANK YOU to you right here. You have taught me so much in this one, single thread!

By now, I didn't even know that the two python species which I have acquired could possibly "interbreed". I thought - two different species? Well, then it is just like dog and cat, or cat and fox, or dog and hyena - they cannot produce offspring because they are too different. But obviously, in pythons, the term "species" must be interpreted rather as "variety" or what dog and cat breeders call "breed". So, thank you for the education that they could produce some sort of unwanted mix-bred offspring which in snake lover's languange is called "hybrids".
Now, I will definitely keep both species apart. Especially, as someone mentioned that it is even "illegal" to allow interracial boy and girl sex to happen!

I have followed your advice and have put both males away from the cattery cage into separate enclosures. However, I gave them the enclosures which formerly belonged to the females, because I think that the water tanks in which the boys were before (is that what some of you call "tubs"?) were/are absolutely inappropriate for such large snakes. In the enclosures which I bought with the females, the boys now have 3 levels to change from cool (with a water bowl) to medium (with a blanket to hide under) to warm (with a heat lamp and a UV lamp), so I'd say this is sufficient to start with. Further, I think that the smell of the respective female who lived in there before (and the carpet floorings haven't been washed since) may give the boys the right dreams for their winter sleep ... :)

The two big girls, however, are still in the large outdoor cattery cage - together. If I find a way how to post pictures here, I will show it to you. I believe it is a real "paradise" for snakes, featuring everything they find in their natural habitats and with lots of hiding places. With this size and quality of habitat, I believe that the two females can live together peacefully. I will screw on a stronger heat lamp tomorrow which I just bought, together with other snake acessories, so there will even be two basking platforms.

Python breeding is a very expensive hobby, isn't it? Just spent another $350 today only on cage accessories. But I love the idea anyway. I hope it will work out in spring and give us some snake babies!

I think, from your conversation here, that you have a lot to learn before even considering breeding these snakes, especially if you keep them in an outdoor enclosure. Just because the accommodation appears to you to be OK doesn't mean it will suit them, especially through a very cold winter. Snakes have access to a far wider range of microclimates in the wild than we can ever provide them with in captivity, and they know what they need to stay alive through the winter. I suggest your animals run a very great risk of dying from a respiratory infection sometime thorough the winter once their immune systems slow down along with their metabolism, and you won't even know they are ill before it's too late because once they shut down, you will not be able to disturb them to check on them.

Similarly with egg-laying and incubation, the female will find a niche with the correct range of temperatures and humidity (very important) for the 8 week + incubation period... if your "cattery" exceeds the maximum temps for even a few hours, and is too dry during the summer period, the eggs will die, or she will desert them. What do you propose to do when (or if) the eggs hatch and the babies have disappeared out of the cattery before you know it?

You've got a long way to go...

Jamie

Keeping and breeding Australian pythons- by Mike Swan is a great book and a good starting point for learning basic husbandry let alone breeding.

http://www.herpbooks.com.au/cms/hus...page=flypage.tpl&product_id=73&category_id=17

The complete carpet python is meant to be good as well.

http://www.herpbooks.com.au/cms/hus...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=178&category_id=17

I agree with the others, sort out your husbandry first then think about breeding. There is no rush. And make sure all your lights have cages around them so there is no chance of your snakes burning themselves.

snakes dont need blankets!!

if you think its expensive now wait until you have a crapload of hatchies to house and feed.

if you think its expensive now wait until you have a crapload of hatchies to house and feed.
Not to mention the possible need for either freshly killed or live pinkies if there are any difficult starters.

And when you cant sell them due to everyone breeding unwanted snakes [ they all want albinos ] you will be drowning in snakes . Have fun :]

you can pick up most if not all the sub species for $100 or less, so should they not be breed unless its a morph?

I think, from your conversation here, that you have a lot to learn before even considering breeding these snakes, especially if you keep them in an outdoor enclosure. Just because the accommodation appears to you to be OK doesn't mean it will suit them, especially through a very cold winter. Snakes have access to a far wider range of microclimates in the wild than we can ever provide them with in captivity, and they know what they need to stay alive through the winter. I suggest your animals run a very great risk of dying from a respiratory infection sometime thorough the winter once their immune systems slow down along with their metabolism, and you won't even know they are ill before it's too late because once they shut down, you will not be able to disturb them to check on them.

Similarly with egg-laying and incubation, the female will find a niche with the correct range of temperatures and humidity (very important) for the 8 week + incubation period... if your "cattery" exceeds the maximum temps for even a few hours, and is too dry during the summer period, the eggs will die, or she will desert them. What do you propose to do when (or if) the eggs hatch and the babies have disappeared out of the cattery before you know it?

You've got a long way to go...

Jamie

keeping snakes outside is not for someone that is new to keeping reptiles and hasn't done any research but carpet pythons can be kept outside successfully if you know what you are doing..... I have a friend that lives in Brisbane that keeps gtp outside all year round and they breed every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

But they are warm blooded.. So the heat they produce under a blanket will be trapped and that together with the heat they are producing will keep them warm... Oh wait, they are cold blooded arent they! So under the blanket will be just as cold as above without a heat source. Hmmmmm ;)

But they are warm blooded.. So the heat they produce under a blanket will be trapped and that together with the heat they are producing will keep them warm... Oh wait, they are cold blooded arent they! So under the blanket will be just as cold as above without a heat source. Hmmmmm ;)
It is surprising how many people have trouble getting their head around that concept.

It is surprising how many people have trouble getting their head around that concept.
Yet no doubt the same people have experienced hopping into a cold bed that warms up in a few minutes with body heat... Makes you wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back