Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually let my snake go to bed an hour before me to warm up my bed for me.

But they are warm blooded.. So the heat they produce under a blanket will be trapped and that together with the heat they are producing will keep them warm... Oh wait, they are cold blooded arent they! So under the blanket will be just as cold as above without a heat source. Hmmmmm ;)
Isn't wool an insulator? so it would hold the residual heat.... so if a warm python climbed under a blanket the heat would be trapped for longer?

Isn't wool an insulator? so it would hold the residual heat.... so if a warm python climbed under a blanket the heat would be trapped for longer?
How is the python going to get warm when it's cold outside? If it was already warm it wouldn't need a blanket (if indeed the blanket provided heat).

Pretty sure he said blanket to HIDE under, not to keep warm. Way to grab the ball and run with it again but aye guys...

How is the python going to get warm when it's cold outside? If it was already warm it wouldn't need a blanket (if indeed the blanket provided heat).

Actually - not a bad idea! Does anyone of you use electric blankets for their snakes, as many people have in their beds to warm up?
I looked at heat mats for snakes in the pet shop recently and they are all very small and very expensive (I would have to connect at least five of them for each of my snakes, to make a mat that would accommodate their whole bodies). As I wrote before (BTW, I am female), at least one of my new snakes seems to love hiding underneath of blankets.

hmm....if I were u I would house them all separately do a bit more research and consider breeding them next yr. As for the blankets I would never use electric, y not stick to bulbs? or heat cords? just a thought.

Actually - not a bad idea! Does anyone of you use electric blankets for their snakes, as many people have in their beds to warm up?
I looked at heat mats for snakes in the pet shop recently and they are all very small and very expensive (I would have to connect at least five of them for each of my snakes, to make a mat that would accommodate their whole bodies). As I wrote before (BTW, I am female), at least one of my new snakes seems to love hiding underneath of blankets.
They would be hiding under the blanket because it makes them feel secure. A hide where three sides of the snakes body is touching a surface feels very safe. Especially in a new outdoor enclosure. Likewise a rock they could squeeze under would give the same feeling of security.
People have used electiric blankets before. After all its basically a heat cord. I know if at least one person who places click clacks on electric blanket cords he gets from salvo shops.
Heat mats won't heat a 3 meter python. You really need a lage heated tile using a heat cord or a globe/Che in a vivarium. Providing outdoor heating is not very practical.
At present I kind of feel sorry for the snakes you have. It sounds like you are struggling to grasp some of the basic husbandry skills to allow a snake in captivity to thermo regulate its body temperature.

They would be hiding under the blanket because it makes them feel secure. A hide where three sides of the snakes body is touching a surface feels very safe. Especially in a new outdoor enclosure. Likewise a rock they could squeeze under would give the same feeling of security.
People have used electiric blankets before. After all its basically a heat cord. I know if at least one person who places click clacks on electric blanket cords he gets from salvo shops.
Heat mats won't heat a 3 meter python. You really need a lage heated tile using a heat cord or a globe/Che in a vivarium. Providing outdoor heating is not very practical.
At present I kind of feel sorry for the snakes you have. It sounds like you are struggling to grasp some of the basic husbandry skills to allow a snake in captivity to thermo regulate its body temperature.
Electric blankets are about 75-100 watts for a single and cost about $30, a 6m heat cord will be around 50 watts and cost about the same plus a couple of tiles at about 30c each. The initial costs are about the same but it would be cheaper to run the heat cord and the heat cord with tiles will almost never catch on fire but electric blankets have the blanket part to catch fire and do quite regularly especially if they are in an outdoor environment. Hopefully this will get the idea of using electric blankets out of peoples heads and may also help the poster.

I agree with you on the rest of your points, but do you mean heat mats won't heat a 3m python in an outdoor enclosure or just in general?

I have a 9ft, very chunky bredli and she goes just fine with a 28x43cm heatmat under her tank.

I agree with you on the rest of your points, but do you mean heat mats won't heat a 3m python in an outdoor enclosure or just in general?

I have a 9ft, very chunky bredli and she goes just fine with a 28x43cm heatmat under her tank.

Open outdoors. Sounds like she wanted to combine a few and make a hot plate.
I basically meant combining was a bad idea. One with a decent tile or something to spread the heat should be fine. A 80w cord would be just as easy to set up under a large tile and no worrying about the mat burning (like some brands do without air circulation). To heat outside I'd try and heat a hide box.... And make sure it is electrically safe from rain and other water. Probably want to earth the aviary too if its got 240v anywhere inside it.

Open outdoors. Sounds like she wanted to combine a few and make a hot plate.
I basically meant combining was a bad idea. One with a decent tile or something to spread the heat should be fine. A 80w cord would be just as easy to set up under a large tile and no worrying about the mat burning (like some brands do without air circulation). To heat outside I'd try and heat a hide box.... And make sure it is electrically safe from rain and other water. Probably want to earth the aviary too if its got 240v anywhere inside it.

Yep, thought so - was just making sure, I agree a single heatmat wouldn't work too well outside for such a big snake.

I've kept and still keep bredli pairs and MD pairs housed together!
MDs in one tank bredli in the other! They do have separate enclosures but I like to think they enjoy the company!

ive also have had snakes eat each other!

your call!!!

I've kept and still keep bredli pairs and MD pairs housed together!
MDs in one tank bredli in the other! They do have separate enclosures but I like to think they enjoy the company!

ive also have had snakes eat each other!

your call!!!
Well I guess if they eat each other that is the ultimate "enjoying the company"

I had my coastal outdoors 0ver summer however I got him back in 4 winter 4 the heat reason. I didn't want to risk him becoming anti social while brumation occurred lol and I didn't want to risk using electricity with the rain etc. I did have a solar panel idea lol but in the end it wasn't 4 me. Speaking of eating each other lol isn't that what prey mantas do when they mate the female eats /kills the male when its all done :shock:

OK, that was just an estimate and perhaps a bit over the top, but I haven't had the chance yet to measure them completely stretched out. They are definitely longer than 2 metres each, and the girls about 30% larger than the males and much fatter in the middle.

Yesterday I had the chance to measure and weigh my snakes - the biggest girl (a Bredli python) is 2.7 metres long and weighs 8 kg. :)

Just for general information, regarding the outdoor enclosure - last night, I took my two girls indoors, as the weather report predicted a temperature drop to 3 degrees C, and will leave them here most of the time. I have a large vacant ferret cage with two compartments, each about 1.5mx1.0mx1.0m, and I put a heater next to it and the snake girls have been happy here over night. Today I'll add a cord for UV lights. I've put plastic boxes filled with Aspen snake bedding into the enclosures, but they also have a second raised platform each to lie on. I guess, also for brumating the spot is good: it is in a very quiet corner in my study. The outdoor cage will be rather their playground on warmer days, so they can get some natural sun, too, but it is definitely too cold outdoors now. And the best thing is: Now, all snakes are separated from each other. Thank you very much for all your good advice!

Last edited:
How about you forget the UV lights for a start they dont provide heat, They are not needed! Next step would be to set up proper heating , wether it be in the form of heat cords, lights, etc with a good quality thermostat to make sure the heat levels are right.

Next step would be to forget trying to breed these critters untill you have a much better and clear understanding of the pythons needs.
The females need to be conditioned before breeding as the process is taxing on thier bodies. The brumation procees if not done correctly can and will result in causing health problems for the snakes. etc etc etc......

Last edited:
Hi mates, I wish to express a HUGE THANK YOU to you right here. You have taught me so much in this one, single thread!

I have followed your advice and have put both males away from the cattery cage into separate enclosures. However, I gave them the enclosures which formerly belonged to the females, because I think that the water tanks in which the boys were before (is that what some of you call "tubs"?) were/are absolutely inappropriate for such large snakes. In the enclosures which I bought with the females, the boys now have 3 levels to change from cool (with a water bowl) to medium (with a blanket to hide under) to warm (with a heat lamp and a UV lamp), so I'd say this is sufficient to start with. Further, I think that the smell of the respective female who lived in there before (and the carpet floorings haven't been washed since) may give the boys the right dreams for their winter sleep ... :)
!

Are you cleaning these enclosures out between all this too-ing and fro-ing?
I'm guessing that there has been no quarantining done at all?

Are you cleaning these enclosures out between all this too-ing and fro-ing?
I'm guessing that there has been no quarantining done at all?
Not sure it would make any difference if they have all been together at one stage or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back